Reply Main Forum
Motivation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xaniphia4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:51 pm
I'm having troubles finding motivation in dance now because my favorite teachers just left! (They do summer program at my studio, and they're both professionals!) They're so good and I had them for the first time this year. Now I'm back to my regular teachers who I don't like too much because I've had both of them so long, and the corrections are all the same and I'm just losing motivation. I also think I'm just really comfortable around them too, so I don't try as hard. Do you guys have any suggestions for me to motivate myself?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:22 pm
i know where you're coming from. with the same routine you get familiar with everything, and feel like you aren't getting anywhere with the people you take with. they give you the same corrections, teach the same style of exercises, and it all just gets a little dull.

the best tool i have for myself, is just be optimistic, be determined, and fight through it. i used to get the same corrections over and over, every class, and it seemed like i'd just hit a brick wall, and was no longer improving.

then i realized that i had lost some of the passion and drive i had when i was getting the complements i wanted to hear. i didn't know what to do to get past it and get over my hump, so i asked myself "why do i dance? what is it for? it hurts me, and it's frustrating, so why do i do this to myself?"

everyone's answer is different for that question. the reason i dance, is that everything about it is beautiful. the ability to express so much emotion with such a tight and restricted art form is amazing. just the music is amazing. it's so awesome for me to get in class, and hear a piece of music, and feel it. when you get the dynamics, and are really able to be what the music sounds like, is a truly beautiful moment for me.
and to get the steps along with it, it's the most enjoyable reward in the world.

i dance for my audience. i love to tell them the story (even if it's something secret, that only i know). i love to feel beautiful. and dancing makes me feel that way.

those are many reasons i dance.
one thing you could try, is finding a piece of music you just love, and listen to it. choreograph to it in your mind. do this with several songs. maybe even work on it before class in the studio. this sometimes opens me up for new ideas, and new concepts for dance.

i know that's a lot of reading up there, and i hope i didn't make to many typos. i hope it helps to know why someone else dances, that way you can think about why you do it, so that you can find your passion again.

and always remember what those special teachers have taught you. write some of the special things down, and incorporate them into your dancing every day. when i go away for summer intensives, i bring a whole notebook of corrections and quotes from my teachers

im sorry for the huge rant, but i do hope it helps. there's nothing worse than not having motivation for something that is usually so dear to your heart.  

Illustrious Verse
Captain

Beloved Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers