Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
religions and death

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

you tired?
  yes
  no
View Results

Vorn Frost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 pm
I think one reason religion is so apealing to people is simply because of heaven.the reason heaven is so apealing is because it's hard for some people to imagine not existing.When they try, they forget to imagine the conciousness not existing either. because it's hard for them to imagine nothing.

so why do you think a heaven is so sot after?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:04 pm
Well people as I think you have covered are scared to think there will possibly be a time where they will cease to exist. With heaven they not only continue their existance, but also get to be around their supposed creator(s), and lets be honest, it would be awsome if you could talk to the thing(s) that made everything. (This is assuming of course that god(s) exist. ) And inhabit a place where supposedly all things are perfect.

Of course the alternative is hell so to most heaven is the "go to" place..  

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Saria Kokirii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:53 am
IVIalice
Well people as I think you have covered are scared to think there will possibly be a time where they will cease to exist. With heaven they not only continue their existance, but also get to be around their supposed creator(s), and lets be honest, it would be awsome if you could talk to the thing(s) that made everything. (This is assuming of course that god(s) exist. ) And inhabit a place where supposedly all things are perfect.

Agreed. People can't stomach just not being.
I was always asked as a child, "What would you like to ask Jesus when you get to heaven?!"
And they would be like "He'd be able to tell you how many hairs you have on your head!"
"COOOOOOL! blaugh "
So that was the main attraction for me. Also, I was always told I'd be able to fly, swim underwater without breathing, jump off cliffs without dying, and be able to zoom through the universe with jesus telling me about everything.
There's also riding lions, hugging tigers, living in a golden city, eating amazing food all the time...
Heaven would be sweet, apart from the constant worship sessions. I'd like to know how many Christians actually like church, anyway xp

Also, hi I'm new. biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:47 am
First nobody knows what happens when we die, and yet everyone will die Since death is such a permanent thing that everyone goes through and yet nobody knows about people wonder and imagine. Sinking into non consciousness is too scary, so people come up with something. Make something up, any thing, hmm, how about a place that is so wonderful its perfect? Yeah, let's call it heaven.

Heaven is a dream for people that cannot accept the thought that death is the end of conscious existence. This is proven by the fact that Christians are three times as likely to get procedures that artificially extend life for those near death then non believers.  

Athena_Ritashe

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:05 pm
I just feel that people are selfish and the idea that they will some how exist forever brings comfort to them. Because facing reality is a burden.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:12 pm
Some people don't like the thought of being gone. When I was younger the thought of heaven gave me comfort because I thought that when I died I could go on living in a happy place.  

migoto-kami

Greedy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:26 pm
Saria Kokirii
IVIalice

Agreed. People can't stomach just not being.
I was always asked as a child, "What would you like to ask Jesus when you get to heaven?!"
And they would be like "He'd be able to tell you how many hairs you have on your head!"
"COOOOOOL! blaugh "
So that was the main attraction for me. Also, I was always told I'd be able to fly, swim underwater without breathing, jump off cliffs without dying, and be able to zoom through the universe with jesus telling me about everything.
There's also riding lions, hugging tigers, living in a golden city, eating amazing food all the time...
Heaven would be sweet, apart from the constant worship sessions. I'd like to know how many Christians actually like church, anyway xp

Also, hi I'm new. biggrin

User Image
So heaven is like being a superhero at the most awesome zoo ever! Sign me up! I ********' love zoos!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:28 pm
Is it just me or is Christianity really pre-occupied with death, like, more so than other religons...*shrug*

Must have come out of the Dark Ages.  

Henneth Annun

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm
Many people just can't wrap their minds around the idea of being gone for good. It's hard for me to accept the concept of my mind going poof! when I die.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games