Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Girl Dies While Parents Pray Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poor little Madeline.
  It's probably for the best that she got out early.
  She deserved a chance.
  She never had a chance.
  She would have totally become Atheist.
  At least, if she would have survived.
  I don't like any of the options so...*click*
View Results

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:44 pm
Another wonderful example of the usefulness of prayer.

- Mom of dead girl: "Sickness was test of faith."

In short:

MSN
Parents (Neumanns) refuse to send daughter (Madeline), dying of undiagnosed diabetes, to doctor. They claim sickness is caused by sin, and that the only answer was prayer from friends and family who were all in attendance as the girl died. The mother also claims the this sickness was brought on by a falling out between her and another couple.

"Dale Neumann, 47, is charged with second-degree reckless homicide in the 2008 death of his daughter Madeline Neumann, called Kara by her parents. His wife was convicted of the same charge this spring and faces up to 25 years in prison when sentenced Oct. 6."

One can't help think that with parents this reckless, maybe it was a good thing she got out early.

Here's another story of a 15 month old who suffered a similar fate, submitted by Pixel Mine:

- Dad Didn't "Believe In Doctors"

So what say ye?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Wow, I was going to make a topic about a similar story. Ava Worthington was just a baby when she died because her parents didn't "believe in doctors". It's terrible that children have to die because people are stupid enough to sit by and watch them deteriorate. It's like the people who have jumped into lion dens and gotten maimed or killed.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:54 pm
It sickens me that there are parents out there who are like them and basically put their religion/beliefs ahead of the safety and well-being of their own children. I mean, how delusional do you have to be to believe that sitting there and praying for someone to get better without doing anything is going to heal them.

What's even worse about this situation is that even after losing their child and being convicted of 2nd degree homicide, they still believe they are in the right.

This reminds me of a story my father was telling me a few days ago. This one doesn't involve death, but still kinda shows the point that some people are more than willing to put their own religion/beliefs ahead of their own children.

My Dad works on cars for a living and sometimes he ends up getting a job that's too big for him and as such he has a helper who assists him in his job. Well one day my Dad and a few of the other guys in the shop got talking about religion and during the conversation my Dad's helper brought up a story about what his parents did to him back when he was a teenager. Basically, he was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness and when he became a teenager, he began to act like any normal teenage male would. Well, not knowing what to do, his parents, partially on the advice of their priest, simply kicked him out of the house and disowned him. Yeah, that's right, at age 15, his parents basically threw him out on the street with nothing but the clothes on his back and told him to never come back. He later moved in with his uncle, who ended up taking him in. Even though this didn't involve someone dying, it still illustrates the point that there are people out there who are willing to put their own religious beliefs above everything else, including their own children.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 am
yeah that's messed up ...
i dislike it when my parents (my mom especially) thinks that praying will solve our problems ... well they dont

praying just gives religious people the strengh for them to move each day
atheists like us don't need "spiritual" strengh  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

adolfchrist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:25 pm
Shouldn't they all take this as proof that praying doesn't work?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:53 pm
Pixel Mine
Wow, I was going to make a topic about a similar story. Ava Worthington was just a baby when she died because her parents didn't "believe in doctors". It's terrible that children have to die because people are stupid enough to sit by and watch them deteriorate. It's like the people who have jumped into lion dens and gotten maimed or killed.

I added that link to the fist post. This will probably end up being a "Death By Prayer" thread......(I don't know whether to use a laughing or crying smilie for that question )

Arios V
It sickens me that there are parents out there who are like them and basically put their religion/beliefs ahead of the safety and well-being of their own children. I mean, how delusional do you have to be to believe that sitting there and praying for someone to get better without doing anything is going to heal them.

What's even worse about this situation is that even after losing their child and being convicted of 2nd degree homicide, they still believe they are in the right.

This reminds me of a story my father was telling me a few days ago. This one doesn't involve death, but still kinda shows the point that some people are more than willing to put their own religion/beliefs ahead of their own children.

My Dad works on cars for a living and sometimes he ends up getting a job that's too big for him and as such he has a helper who assists him in his job. Well one day my Dad and a few of the other guys in the shop got talking about religion and during the conversation my Dad's helper brought up a story about what his parents did to him back when he was a teenager. Basically, he was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness and when he became a teenager, he began to act like any normal teenage male would. Well, not knowing what to do, his parents, partially on the advice of their priest, simply kicked him out of the house and disowned him. Yeah, that's right, at age 15, his parents basically threw him out on the street with nothing but the clothes on his back and told him to never come back. He later moved in with his uncle, who ended up taking him in. Even though this didn't involve someone dying, it still illustrates the point that there are people out there who are willing to put their own religious beliefs above everything else, including their own children.

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. Who'd have thought that masturbation would suffer the same fate as homosexuality.........he was masturbating, right?

adolfchrist

They have never used logic before, no reason to start now I guess. *Sign.*

Dathu

Newbie Noob

0UjgJBt3ONkG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:21 pm
I'm probably not the healthiest person for getting so much amusement out of this. Obviously this is horrible, disgusting, and unfortunate, but I can't help but find some humor in it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 pm
adolfchrist
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There's plenty of evidence that praying doesn't work... but their answer to that is always "God said no," or "it wasn't in His plan." Always a convenient answer to help them ignore facts. The vast majority of religious folk realize that medicine generally works better at curing medical conditions than prayer alone, though... nutsos like these are a tiny minority, thank... well, thank god. XD

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:11 pm
Ack, this made my ******** week.

I'm not even gonna read the whole report, I don't want to keep this bad mood the whole month.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:15 pm
Dathu
Pixel Mine

I added that link to the fist post. This will probably end up being a "Death By Prayer" thread......(I don't know whether to use a laughing or crying smilie for that question )

Arios V

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. Who'd have thought that masturbation would suffer the same fate as homosexuality.........he was masturbating, right?

adolfchrist

They have never used logic before, no reason to start now I guess. *Sign.*

Not sure, my Dad (nor his helper) really said anything as to why other than he was just growing up. Although I'm guessing he probably was masturbating I don't think that was the number one reason why they kicked him out, still it's sad.  

Arios V

Lyonette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:33 pm
What they did is not only unethical, but it goes against all common sense! Those kind of brainwashed zombies make me question my already meagre faith in humankind.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:51 pm
stare

This is bull. I don't even have anything intelligent to say about this. More proof on the idoicy of the majority of humanity.  

Henneth Annun

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:15 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
adolfchrist

There's plenty of evidence that praying doesn't work... but their answer to that is always "God said no," or "it wasn't in His plan." Always a convenient answer to help them ignore facts. The vast majority of religious folk realize that medicine generally works better at curing medical conditions than prayer alone, though... nutsos like these are a tiny minority, thank... well, thank god. XD

There was this one bit that George Carlin did, where he talked about praying. "Suppose your prayers aren't answered. Well, it's god's will, thy will be done. Fine. But if it's god's will and he's gonna do what he wants to in the first place, why the ******** bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me!" Ah, George was a genius. Because it's true! Why bother praying? God supposedly already has his divine plan laid out, so you can't do s**t by praying!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:16 pm
Good news biggrin Dale Newman is found guilty of second-degree reckless homicide.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090801/ap_on_re_us/us_prayer_death  

Zambimaru

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:15 pm
Somewhat Relevant:

My mother once told me a story about a girl she knew while growing up. The girl was part of a close-knit Christian community, but I can't remember what denomination. She was severely schizophrenic and ordered into a mental hospital.

While being treated (this term is used loosely because it was psychiatry from about forty or so years ago), her family and fellow members would visit her, and lay their hands on her in an attempt to exorcise her.

They would tell her that she had demons in her, that she was unclean.

I can't help but wonder how much worse those individuals made things for her.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff