Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diimari_Lives
Captain

Interesting Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 am
Every so often a new style of music emerges that takes America by storm and comes to represent the generation that grows up with it. In the 50's it was rock'n'roll, followed by the Mowtown sound of the 60's. The 1970's brought folk music and disco. But in the 80's it was rap. Perhaps no other form of music has crossed as many boundaries and become a bridge between America's many cultures as rap has.
Rap evolved from African people in general and black people born in the U.S. in particular. Its origins can be traced to West Africa where tribesmen held "men of words" in high regard. Later when slaves were brought to the New World, the captives mixed American music with the beats they remembered from Africa. Another origin of rap is a form of Jamaican folk stories called "toasts." These are narrative poems that tell stories in rhyme.
Over a hundred years later, rapping was a street art. Just as doo-wop in the 1950's, rap began in inner-city schoolyards and street corners in the 1970's. Early raps were boastful tales, and put-downs directed at other rappers. This music style was slowly growing in popularity among black teens in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia. As early as 1974 neighborhood block parties in New York featured early forms of rapping.
But it wasn't until the commercial success of "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugar Hill Gang in 1979 that major record labels took notice of this explosive new sound. Rap's audience started to grow tremendously and gain notoriety with acts like Public Enemy, N.W.A., and Ice-T. More than 20 years have now passed and rap still has a huge following among people of all ages and socio-economic backgrounds.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

http://www.allsands.com/music/bio/historyofrapm_xrw_gn.htm  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:13 pm
Ahhh, pleaze don't tell me everybody here is some kind of rap hater. If so tell me now so i can go bye-bye. I like rock and metal as much as the next person but rap and hip hop of easilly the best music genres to me.  

RokuDaKing

Hunter

Rap

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces