Submit

Did your parents flip s**t?
  oh yea!
  It went better than expected
  They still don't know :x
View Results

Mint Flavored

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:50 pm
(I'm a ranter, so this may end up being long, but...it's whatever)

So, I'm really wanting to get rolling on my first tat. I've known I would get one for years now as well as my piercings. I remember begging my mom every year since I was 12 to get second holes put in (got my first ones back in diaper days.) She promised I could get them once I turned 16 and I held her to it! twisted Then when I turned 18 I got a 3rd hold put in my right ear along with one of my close friends. That was my first time to realize I no longer need consent. I'll be 19 pretty soon and I'm moving out of the house. My parents realize I'll be making my own decisions plus I'm the "independent middle child" so they expect drastics from me anyway.

Back to the tattoo. I know I want to get it BEFORE I head off to University. But, I don't know if I should tell my parents and then get it no matter what they say OR get it without letting them know and then letting them find out whenever/however.
I'm pretty sure if I get it before leaving for school, I can keep it secret for a year or 2....maybe more.

The point is, pretty much regardless of what they say, I know I'm going to get it eventually. I planned this tattoo out a year ago, fell so in love with the theme of it that it's turned into the center of my dream wedding and decor of my dream house!!!!! I think my mom would be more understanding of the 2 just because she knows how much the theme means to me (i'll explain the tat in another post).

POINT:
How do I tell my parents, if I tell them at all.
How did you tell your parents, if at all.
How can I really sell them on the idea?
My age really doesn't matter because I could be 30 and I still don't think they'd be thrilled. rolleyes

Advice please. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:58 pm
Tattoo Idea

A full back piece is what I plan on in the long run, but for right now I want to start of with the upper back, right below a normal collar line. (I want it to be able to cover it up for work, but I have a lot of scoop back shirts so I could show it off when I want to.

anyway on the upper right is a bird flying away with it's wings expanded. on it's neck is a bandage, but overall it's a beautiful bird that has seen some wear and tear (just to paint an image for you).
around it's left ankle is a red string, kind of holding it down, but not really. and the string continues to the left upper side where there is a cinco de mayo candy skull. the string is either going to come out of its mouth or its eye (im undecided about that part).

written on an invisible line above the string it will say "never regret something that made you smile."

I've been planning it for a year, as I said so I've drawn everything out myself (roughly) and want it to be something that I really take part in rather than leaving it completely up to the artist. (I of course want them to sketch me their version and we collab, but other than that, yea.)  

Mint Flavored

Mint Flavored

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:07 pm
Tattoo Significance

First off, I detest tattoos with no story. It can be the most amazing image in the world, but if the person doesn't connect with it, I just can't get into it. The stupidest sentence I've ever heard is "I got it because the artist said it would look cool on me."
It was supposed to be dragon, it looked like a ******** snack.

Anyway, The bird is supposed to represent life (my life specifically) and how I've always tried to do things on my own, my way. Even though I've always been successful, I have had to overcome many obstacles both mental and physical. (thus the bird is "wounded").
I'm a firm believer in love and the red string of fate is my favourite love myth. (everyone is tied to their soulmate with an invisible red string. you will marry the person you are tied to because it was supposed to be that way.)
So like, love keeps me tied down or keeps me from always getting carried away with dreaming and impossible goals.
The skull is to represent people specifically who either did or did not support me. Either way they brought me a step closer to success.

It's really meaningful to me. I want to have a red string of fate themed wedding one day. I want my husband and I to have matching tattoos of red string tied around our ankles. I want my house to have a lot of bird decorations.

But, yea. Just so you know I'm not getting it to be "cool" or may not have thought it through. I really feel like I did.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 am
i mean,
as long as you're old enough
and you're not financially dependent on them,
who cares?

i think its unfair if, say, your parents give you grocery money or something
and you spend it on ink ... its shady and borderline dishonest, imo.
.. . at least i'd be pissed if my kid did that.

that being said;

i never tell my parents when i get something.
i let them find out for themselves,
then i can be all
"aw, this old thing? ive had it for aaagess!" blaugh

and it sounds like you're getting it either way.
and you seem to predict their answer is going to be 'no' ...
if you ask, they say "no" and you go ahead, it could come off as deliberately dissing their authority .. (a bit like the middle finger, if you will)
if that makes any sense whatsoever?

phallumontis

Mint Flavored

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 pm
PoppyTea
i mean,
as long as you're old enough
and you're not financially dependent on them,
who cares?

i think its unfair if, say, your parents give you grocery money or something
and you spend it on ink ... its shady and borderline dishonest, imo.
.. . at least i'd be pissed if my kid did that.

that being said;

i never tell my parents when i get something.
i let them find out for themselves,
then i can be all
"aw, this old thing? ive had it for aaagess!" blaugh

and it sounds like you're getting it either way.
and you seem to predict their answer is going to be 'no' ...
if you ask, they say "no" and you go ahead, it could come off as deliberately dissing their authority .. (a bit like the middle finger, if you will)
if that makes any sense whatsoever?

That's the thing. I'm not in a position where I feel like I need permission, I just can't decide if I want to tell them I'm getting it before or after.
I think I'll go get it done around the end of the month after vacation is over and everyone goes back to school (my mom is a teacher). That way I'll be left alone for a while and less likely to get seen naked or something. By then I'll be getting ready to leave for college anyway.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:39 am
Tattooing is not a problem with my family with my family so I can't help much. My mom and I have tattoos we got together. My dad was with me and paid for my very furst one, so it's kind of a family thing for us.

That said, I say do whatever feels right. If you think it would be easiest to not tell them by all means don't. It will probably cuase problems either way, but at least if you already have it they can't really do anything to stop you.  

All_Wrapped_Up

Mint Flavored

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:04 pm
All_Wrapped_Up
Tattooing is not a problem with my family with my family so I can't help much. My mom and I have tattoos we got together. My dad was with me and paid for my very furst one, so it's kind of a family thing for us.

That said, I say do whatever feels right. If you think it would be easiest to not tell them by all means don't. It will probably cuase problems either way, but at least if you already have it they can't really do anything to stop you.

That's awesome. I know my parents would never get one with me. I mean it would have to be like a situation where I'm dying or already died before they get a tattoo.

From what I can see in that pic, yours are really awesome pieces.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 pm
Update (not that many still come) : So I was just sitting around watching LA Ink on TV and my dad starts going off about "you aren't thinking about getting a tattoo are you? I'm serious! Don't come home with no tattoo."

Now I'm just ******** pissed off over nothing. I'm still getting a tat like I said, I'm already planning a second one.

I'm moving out in 3weeks and my mom told me not to really come back too often (not cause I have family issues, she just doesn't want me to feel like I can depend on them all the time I guess).

SOOOO, I'm either going to get it a week before I leave at this shop I'm really into or I'm going to wait until I'm in Chicago.

There are probably a lot of great shops in Chicago, hell I'd even be willing to travel out of my way to get it done, it's just that I really dig this nearby shop and the artists. I've seen their work and they've done tats for a few of my friends that are ******** amazing.

I'm so vexed.  

Mint Flavored

ToxicPlay

7,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:37 pm
How are things going for you? Did you ever get your tattoo done?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:15 pm
Well, when I got my tattoo done, I told my mother I was getting it, and also told her that I was not asking her permission - I was merely being courteous and letting her know, since I was (at the time) living at home. She wasn't thrilled, and said so, but saw my point and conceded that I had the right to do what I wanted with my body. (Mind you, she's really quite liberal and bad with the whole disciplining-your-kids thing)

She did end up getting pissy with me the night before my appointment, though, when I reminded her I was getting it done. Ended up practically begging me to put it off for a few more weeks (or months) and when that didn't work, she sicced her boyfriend on me, and he yelled at me for two hours about how I was a delinquent who would never amount to anything. neutral And then she called me, right before my appointment, and cried at me some more about how I was ruining my body...

Due to some (un)fortunately timed illness on my artist's part, I actually did have to put if off for another few weeks, and Mum and the boyfriend were very apologetic over yelling at me yet satisfied with the delay. I ended up not reminding Mum when the second appointment rolled around, and came home (with tattoo) that night to 'I know what you were up to today! I'm so disappointed in you! How could you do this to me, I was so worried!' rantrantrant.

Overall, I kind of got yelled at either way, but I know my mother respected me more for having the guts to tell her first. I would suggest that if you decide to tell your parents, you should make sure they understand that, while you'll consider their input, YOU have the final say...not them. And I'd expect to be yelled at. And I'd probably not tell them the day of the appointment, because I got NO sleep the night before, and I was frazzled and not in a good mindset to be tattooed by the end of the lectures. Either that, or turn your phone off, lol...  

Nekojin_cat

6,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Tattoos

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items