Reply 'Tendo Cult~
The Legend of Zelda: A Retrospect Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ecopper12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:14 am
Well, Zelda has been around for quite awhile. Ever since it's launch on the good ol' NES, it was a huge hit. It fan base it still growing. So let's get to it shall we?

The Legend of Zelda
Platform: NES

The very first game on the NES to feature a save function. It allowed you to save where you were and pick up later, as the game was too huge for one sitting. All games prior to this no matter how huge, had a password feature. Creating the inability to play freely. This game had a functioning overworld and monsters that got us hooked from the start.The story was simple. Find the 8 pieced of the Triforce of Wisdom that Princess Zelda had scattered across the land. Each boss you defeated led you to a new piece of the Triforce.Whe you gathered all the pieces, beat Ganon(The main antagonist)and ultimately saved Zelda and Hyrule as a whole, the game was over. Or was it? Nope! Nintendo added a second quest. After completing the game you could jump into a second quest. The enemies were placed differently, the dungeons were different, the same prospect was there thought, Find the Triforce, beat Ganon and save Zelda. Alternatively, if you were feeling bold, you could jump right into the second quest by entering "Zelda" as your name. This game had it bad points, but they were out weighed by the good. The Legend of Zelda would set the bar for the Zelda games to come.

How was that? Should I keep going for the other games?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 am
Cool, yeah sure keep going.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

ecopper12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:46 am
Moving on to the second game in the series!

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Platform: NES

Most fans agree that when it comes to Zelda II, there is no messing around. The first and last side scrolling game in the series was what led this title to become the "black sheep" of the franchise. It's difficulty and new control gave a challenge to many players. Even if you had played the first Zelda game, this was such a change the prior skill did not matter. The overworld was different. It now served as a map. When you entered a village, which was a new addition to the series, the game returned to it's sidescrolling function. The story was a little more in-depth than the last game. Zelda was a princess who had knowledge of the Triforce. Herb, the prince, wanted this knowledge but Zelda would not share what she knew. The prince, angered by this, used a wizards help to cast Zelda into a deep sleep. Then the wizard died. Unable to undo the spell, the grief stricken prince ruled that all daughters born into the royal family be named Zelda. In the game, Link's duty is to awaken the princess by finding the three pieces of the Triforce, Courage, Wisdom, and Power. By doing this he awoke the princess from her never ending slumber, and the game was over. This game was also the first to introduce Magic, a leveling system, and Dark Link. This game added new staples to the series but was the only one of it's kind.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 am
What is the point of this topic?  

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

ecopper12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:58 am
Regulust

I made it to look over Zelda games. It seemed appropriate. If it isn't feel free to delete it. I didn't know.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:27 pm
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

ecopper12
Regulust

I made it to look over Zelda games. It seemed appropriate. If it isn't feel free to delete it. I didn't know.

It is neccessary...

♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Donovan001

Mukuchina Kurasu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:47 pm
yeah, i think the idea is cool.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:49 pm
It's a legit thread. Keep going, bud.  

Waynebrizzle

ecopper12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:47 pm
I will keep going now. I have found the time.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:54 pm
You do a good job of doing justice to the games.  

L a s t B a s t a r d

Devlin Darkness

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:18 pm
I wish Nintendo would bring back the RPG elements in Zelda 2  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 am
(Story elements taken from www.zeldawiki.org)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Platform SNES

Probably the best 2D Zelda game. It returned to the over head style fans were used to. The game also featured a second world. The sacred realm, which made the game twice a large as it was ma to be. The story to this game was much more massive then the last two.

One day, a band of evil thieves managed to open the gateway to the Sacred Realm, where the mystical Triforce was hidden. Upon finding the sacred golden relic, the leader of the thieves, Ganondorf, slew his followers and claimed it as his own. Before long, dark power began to flow forth from the Sacred Realm. People were drawn into this darkness, and never heard from again. As a result, the King of Hyrule ordered the seven sages to seal the entrance to the Sacred Realm. A great battle ensued--monsters poured into the light world from the sacred land and attacked the castle. The Knights of Hyrule defended the sages during the great battle against evil, and, though most of them perished in the struggle, the sages were able to cast their seal, stoppering the flow of darkness and trapping the evil king Ganon within. This battle became known as the Imprisoning War.

Once the conflicts against Ganon had ceased, Hyrule entered a time of peace which lasted for centuries, until one year, when unexplained catastrophes began to occur. Pestilence and drought ravaged the land. Thinking the recent disasters plaguing Hyrule were somehow linked to the sages' seal, the king ordered his sages to investigate--but the seal was still intact. Desperate for answers, he offered rewards for anyone who could find the source of Hyrule's troubles.
In response, a stranger named Agahnim appeared as if from nowhere and stayed the catastrophes with mighty magic. As a reward, the king gave him a new position as chief advisor to the throne, and the common folk proclaimed him their hero. Once more, peace appeared to have returned to Hyrule. Yet all was not well. Agahnim began to govern Hyrule in place of the king and abuse his political power as he saw fit. Rumors spread saying that Agahnim planned to remove the king and take the crown for himself, and that strange magical experiments were taking place in the castle tower at night. He cast spells on the soldiers and kidnapped the young maidens descended from the seven sages, using their powers in an attempt to break the seal placed on the Sacred Realm.

The game starts with Link being awakened in the middle of the night by a telepathic plea from Princess Zelda, who tells him that she is being held prisoner in the dungeon of the castle. Now wide awake, Link finds his uncle with sword and shield in hand. He tells Link not to leave the house, then sets off for the castle. Link ignores his uncle's warning and follows him, only to arrive at the castle to find him gravely wounded. He gives Link his sword and shield and entrusts him with the fate of Princess Zelda. Link proceeds to rescue Zelda, and the two escape the castle through its sewer system to the sanctuary just north of the castle.
There, the priest tells Link that the only weapon powerful enough to defeat Agahnim was the legendary Master Sword. He then sends him to find the elder, Sahasrahla, who explains that not just anyone could wield the Master Sword, and that a hero must appear from the descendants of the Knights of Hyrule. To prove himself worthy of wielding the sacred blade, Link would need to acquire the three Pendants of Virtue.
After successfully obtaining the pendants and withdrawing the blade from its pedestal in the Lost Woods, Zelda calls out to Link yet again, this time warning that soldiers have invaded the sanctuary. Link hurries off to the sanctuary only to find that he was a moment too late, and that the soldiers had already taken Zelda off to Hyrule Castle. Once again, Link hurries to her rescue, and once again arrives too late, as Agahnim was already in the process of sending Princess Zelda to the Dark World. Upon completing this ritual, the sages' seal was at last broken. Link goes on to defeat Agahnim, who then draws him into the Dark World.
There, Link is contacted telepathically by Sahasrahla, who tells him that he is standing in what was once the Sacred Realm, but was transformed by Ganon's evil wish to conquer the world. He then commissions Link with the task of rescuing the imprisoned maidens from the dungeons scattered across the Dark World. Upon freeing them all, Link travels to Ganon's Tower, where the seven maidens used their combined power to dispel the barrier sealing off the entrance. Link proceeds to traverse the tower and defeat Agahnim a second time. Upon his defeat, the shadow of Ganon rises from the body, turns into a bat, and flies off to the Pyramid of Power, where Link and Ganon would face off. With the power of the Silver Arrows and the Master Sword, Link vanquishes Ganon, recovers the Triforce, and by making a wish, reverts the effects of Ganon's evil reign over Hyrule and restores the land to its former glory.  

ecopper12

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:07 pm
I don't see much point in this thread. Just stating the obvious if you ask me. Ah well, I've never really seen the point in retrospectives, but other people seem to like them.

Oh, also, I really didn't like the first 2 Zelda games. Odd seeing as Zelda is one of my favorite series.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:25 pm
Super Cheesio
I really didn't like the first 2 Zelda games. Odd seeing as Zelda is one of my favorite series.
I'm the same way. I don't really like any adventure games or RPG's on the NES really, they are all just too frusterating.

The NES is good for simple platformers or beat 'em ups. among other things... but not adveture games and RPG's. SNES improves greatly on it though, and now Those are my favorite genre's

But i don't really SNES RPG's either though... they tend to have very frusterating dungeons and enemy encounter rates... but thats beside the point.

For some reason I still have yet to play A link to the past, it's been on my virual console since it was released, but I keep forgetting about it. I will probably play it this summer though.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:41 pm
Zelda is my favorite video game series, but I don't like the 2D top down ones. Yes, only four games make it for me, those being OoT, MM, WW, and TP. I have played most of the top down ones (Even beat LA and OoS), but now I can't get into them anymore. I would like to play PH and ST, but I never plan on getting a hand held system again, so...I'm effed in the a there.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff