Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Is Christianity Polytheism in disguise?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  Polytheistic
  Monotheistic
View Results

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 pm
Despite the many people within the religion of Christianity that say otherwise I cannot see how it could possibly be a Monotheistic religion when to me it clearly is to some degree Polytheistic.

I have just recently watched a video that may help get my point across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLbRu9uyrQ

So here is something new to discuss, is Christianity Monotheistic or Polytheistic?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:26 am
Christianity takes on a lot of features of Zorastrianism, especially its sense of duality. In Zoroastrianism God is called Ahura Mazda, and Satan is called Angra Mainyu. One is by nature goodness, the other is evil and both are divine. The only way for Christianity to avoid the admission that God commits evil acts as well as good is to give Satan a great degree of power, power that challenges God. Either God has an evil streak, or he's not as powerful as he claims. So I don't know if it is polytheistic, depends on your Christian. If they are praying to angels and saints, definitely. If they blame Satan for all the evil of the world, they are too. If they believe that God is responsible for evil then they could be monotheistic.  

Athena_Ritashe

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:10 pm
Athena_Ritashe
Christianity takes on a lot of features of Zorastrianism, especially its sense of duality. In Zoroastrianism God is called Ahura Mazda, and Satan is called Angra Mainyu. One is by nature goodness, the other is evil and both are divine. The only way for Christianity to avoid the admission that God commits evil acts as well as good is to give Satan a great degree of power, power that challenges God. Either God has an evil streak, or he's not as powerful as he claims. So I don't know if it is polytheistic, depends on your Christian. If they are praying to angels and saints, definitely. If they blame Satan for all the evil of the world, they are too. If they believe that God is responsible for evil then they could be monotheistic.

True, it does depend on the Christian, and just like the video this claim should only go out to the parts of Christianity that go along with the argument made for it being polytheism. The video also points this out, perhaps I should change some of my starting words so it doesn't include all of Christianity.

(Also, thanks for responding I thought this topic was dead and nobody was interested. )  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:32 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Well, the thing about praying to the saints is that they're not worshiping them, they're basically asking them to "put in a good word" with God. Same with praying to Mary. I don't consider it to be polytheistic unless they literally worship different "entities" as separate gods.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:52 am
Hm, I think we should let a Deist use the bible to try bringing up a possible argument for it being polytheistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXAuoI9k1No&feature=channel_page

This doesn't even require the trinity, so maybe its a good argument.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games