Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Do most atheists come from Christianity? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you come from a Christian family?
  yes
  no
View Results

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:04 pm
Wondering since most of them seem to. I came from a Catholic family (by Christianity, I mean all the different kinds). Christianity seems to be the most discussed religion here.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:09 pm
User ImageIt's because it's primarily an English speaking site. England, Australia, and the US tend to be predominantly Christian or Christian influenced, so that tends to be the religion most discussed. I'm sure if Gaia was launched in India, and this guild was established, we'd be arguing Hinduism. [I rarely get a chance to use that emote, so I decided to.]  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:13 pm
What Dathu said.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:13 pm
Haha that makes sense. Well, I do have a friend who was Jewish and is now atheist.  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:15 pm
Random Rainbow Rukia
Haha that makes sense. Well, I do have a friend who was Jewish and is now atheist.

Oh Atheism runs rampant in Judaism! I know over a dozen Jews and half of them are pretty much Atheist, but just go along with the practices and traditions more for cultural reasons than religious, and even they have tons of family that claim the same. *Nods in agreement with his own statement.*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:30 pm
Dathu
Random Rainbow Rukia

Oh Atheism runs rampant in Judaism! I know over a dozen Jews and half of them are pretty much Atheist, but just go along with the practices and traditions more for cultural reasons than religious, and even they have tons of family that claim the same. *Nods in agreement with his own statement.*
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I dated an atheist Jew, but he was nonpracticing. His dad, though, is a practicing sort-of-atheist Jew.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Athena_Ritashe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:47 pm
Why are so many Jews atheist? Was it the holocaust, or do they see their traditions as no longer relevant in today's world?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:48 pm
Athena_Ritashe
Why are so many Jews atheist? Was it the holocaust, or do they see their traditions as no longer relevant in today's world?

yep I blame the holocaust. I completely understand them. That was horrible.  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:55 am
Random Rainbow Rukia
Athena_Ritashe

yep I blame the holocaust. I completely understand them. That was horrible.

Honestly, I really don't know. It could be some kind of repercussion from the holocaust. Funny thing is, and forgive me if this seems stereotypical, but most Jews that I know are financially well off and are relatively well educated. That may have something to do with it. Furthermore, even Richard Dawkins, I try not to quote him or his book out of redundancy, mentioned knowing Jews that only stayed in practice for cultural reasons. It could be because the Old Testament of the bible is so wild and fantastic (I'm using that word as it was originally intended: to signify something as having fantasy like characteristics. Not as a synonym for good or enjoyable), and without the whole Jesus clause, it rubs off as too unbelievable.

Ya know, if anyone knows of any statistics of Atheist Jews, or theories on this phenomenon feel free to post a link. wahmbulance

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:26 pm
User Image

My immediate family (parents + older brother) is atheistic/agnostic. So I was saved from the whole child brainwash thing. But I went to a Catholic elementary school (because of academic reasons. It was a school with good teachers and students with good grades), so I nearly got caught in that s**t. But after I graduated from there it felt really stupid to go on pretending (that I believe in god in front of the teachers) anymore.

Christianity is probably most discussed here because it's the religion with the highest number of followers (about 1.5-2 billion worldwide from 2006-200 cool . And probably also because it is the most obnoxious one.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:34 pm
My family really isn't religious. Sure, my mom believes in God, but she never talks about it very much, and my Dad never mentions religion (Although I suspect he's secretly agnostic) and my brother...well, he's only 11 and he spends all his time on the computer.

My brother and I were both baptised, but for some reason or other we never did any other religious thing (Go to church, First Communions, etc.), so to any strong Christian family we're already doomed.

So I was spared from all the religion stuff.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:40 pm
my parents believed in God but they never told me much about him when I was younger
i think at some point a friend got me interested in believing in God
but then i was like "wait a minute i don't believe in this"
and then a couple years ago my dad decided we should go (but of course i didn't want to) after a couple months I started believing in it but I think it's because I wanted to make my parents happy ... i know that i'm not really but it's hard being a good christian

what's ironic ... i'm not saying they're not smart maybe they just dont study
but like we had this test
and I had a 97 (so i was first place)
we had another one but this time i'm in 3rd place (91)  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:12 pm
My parents are trying to make me believe in God.

They are like "I hope you realize the truth before it's too late" and that s**t T-T I try to say "ok, ok, just shut up now" (not really, I just think it XD)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm
When I was just a little kid my mom always used to tell me about this god fellow, and how great, powerful, and loving he was. She didn't raise me as a Christian though.... She didn't really raise me as any religion, she just taught me to be a theist. We did go to church one or two times but it really scared me back then. I honestly had no idea what these people were talking about when they spoke of Jesus and other biblical names. I was confused by this as well as the way that they prayed. My mom just told me that all I had to do was think my prayers to god, not bow down and cross my hands and speak in tongues etc. I especially felt bad and confused when they passed around the basket for money and I didn't have any, the other kids look at me strangely and it made me feel awkward. Even though I've only gone to church twice, I can still remember it and how much I hated being there. I eventually realized that prayer did absolutely nothing. When i was little i prayed every night and hoped and hoped that my prayers would be answered, I mean i never asked for much, just little things. None of them ever came true but, some things that I had wished for did. Thats when I started to reject the idea of god because I then knew that prayers and wishes came true by pure luck, not some magical omnipotent omnipresent being. I also rejected the idea of god because of what I learned in school, with science and physics and whatnot. My mom still wishes that I would believe in god, but I know that he's not real now, and I'm happy with that smile  

Lucifer FonRonsenberg

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 pm
I was born Lutheran.