Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Arts and Crafts Anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If, and or else?
  Arts > Crafts
  Arts < Crafts
  Arts != Crafts
  Anglias yo!
View Results

Melchiore

Lonely Noob

9,625 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:41 am
Remember back when you were a kid and you did Arts and Crafts? Well I never was really good at it and well to tell the truth. I regret not putting more effort into learning the basics of the "Art" craft. So I'd like to ask, does anyone know any good "basic" composition tutorials. I mean the definite basics; circles and squares, nothing hardcore. I would also definitely love to learn color and form. I have been through this thread and read through some of the guides linked there. I have actually been practicing it very actively for the past day and I am more than willing to put a lot of time, effort and heart into the work. I just realized though that I have no "concept" of shape, color and more of the basics that I may not even know about yet. It would be great if you guys could maybe link me to an in depth refresher course. =) Thanks in advance and thanks for accepting me into the guild. It has definitely given me a lot to read through. =D
User Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 am
Uhm. I have been an artsy kind of person my whole life so I dunno if I could just link you something because its hard to find a definite description of how to do those things. People will say different things. To me I just look at color wheels and I have some school books I refer to. I would suggest you go look at books in B&N or go to the library and check some out. The more you understand a color wheel the more you can use and understand colors, then use them to your advantage. As for composition thats all in personal taste. I tend to go for asymmetrical stuff, but I learned about composition in my Photography class.

I think if you have more detailed questions you can let me know. The stuff you asked for was general so its hard to pinpoint one thing for me to suggest to you... >< I hope I helped some. Feel free to PM me! smile  

PhoeJynx

xgymnast

Fashionable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm
sry, but cant help ya!
or in french..
Je regrette, mais non! (I'm sorry but no!)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:26 pm
Thanks for the reply PhoeJynx. I apologize in being so very late to my own party so to speak. I have been practicing drawing amongst a slew of other talents I hope to master. It has been a lot of fun so far. I did take a look at the color wheel but, not in the traditional sense. It so happened that this one color literally seems to encompass my emotions, thoughts and feelings within it. When I listen to a great song and I use this color, I can almost feel the life in my work. The color wheel that I looked at was on Kuler and didn't highlight any relations between colors. I assume that they are set in "opposite" pairs. I have been practicing form more than color, I think I may have the basics of composition down though I think I need to practice a bit more. For the most part, I am comfortable with my progress and hopefully, I will only get better. =)  

Melchiore

Lonely Noob

9,625 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Jesson_Voorhees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:57 am
xd  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 am
i 愛 heart art  

the taetae 12

Le Pierre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm
I guess it would be much easier if you find someone around you that knows lots of art already and can teach you the basics.

Most basic stuff into art are the Elements & Principles which you can look for them around the net and learn more:

ELEMENTS:

Line
Form
Texture
Color
Volume
Shadows & Lights

PRINCIPLES:

Rhythm
Movement
Perspective
Emphasis