Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:35 pm
(As you can see, I had no riveting title to give you.)

I keep hearing (or reading) that the US was not founded on Christian or any other religious morals, and yet everywhere in the government there is some sort of reference to God -- in courtrooms, schools, etc. So here's my question: When did God get incorporated into the government systems?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:56 pm
Very slowly over time. Remember, when this country was founded, courts we far from what they were today, there were no public schools and then the ones that did exist were churches. A lot of the religious references were put in place about and around the early 20th century ("under god" "in god we trust"). It's really far more recent. My memory isn't so clear, but I'm sure if you look up each piece of the issue one at a time you'll find that many were in just the last hundred years.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Nardone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm
i think when most of the population of this country was catholic.. i guess they added stuff like that to make everyone happy.. keep in mind that the new generation of people has the most atheist/agnostics..

but if you dont mind.. if you found your sources on the internet.. could you link some of them to me? i would love to tell some people that and get them to shut up with info to back myself up with biggrin

o and its kinda funny.. the government said they would keep religion and government separate.. guess not..  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games