Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
God and tv Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 am
I've realized that a lot of sitcom families are religious. The simpsons, Raymond, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and especially ones from the 80's and 90's. What, did producers think that "having wholesome family-oriented tv" meant having a family say grace or sprinkle "Jesus" into random conversations. It's disturbing enough that you hear about religion almost everywhere else, I can even stand church commercials, but I don't want god on my tv shows.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:02 am
Mmm, yes I too have noticed this in some of the old Justice Leauge, Static Shock, and Batman Beyond cartoons. Family Guy is a different story though, Seth does that purely for the enjoyment of poking fun at religon and smacking it with his ten inch, bravo McFarlane.

Atleast in the Toxic Avenger movie series, god turns out to be a pissed off bearded midget with sunglasses who does nothing all day but use obsenity's and make new diseases since we keep curing the old ones, go figure.

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

EATSMEATS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:40 am
Yes, I noticed it too. But in the 70s and 80s that was quite normal I think so nobody really cared. Like smoking in cartoons back in the day. They didn't realize that it wasn't a good idea until they saw the outcome.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:25 pm
The only thing that really bothers me are those damn Scientology commercials.  

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 pm
it will prolly cease to exist in the future with the growing numbers of nonbelievers  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:01 pm
Make a successful TV show about an atheist family and your problem is solved.

I think producers put God into their shows as a tribute, I mean, they're not telling you that you HAVE to belive in God.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

adolfchrist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:10 pm
The Simpsons isn't religious.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:55 pm
Labyrinthknight7
I've realized that a lot of sitcom families are religious. The simpsons, Raymond, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and especially ones from the 80's and 90's. What, did producers think that "having wholesome family-oriented tv" meant having a family say grace or sprinkle "Jesus" into random conversations. It's disturbing enough that you hear about religion almost everywhere else, I can even stand church commercials, but I don't want god on my tv shows.

I was under the impression that The Simpsons, Family Guy, or King of the Hill were meant to make fun of the wholesome tv shows instead of be wholesome themselves. I don't know about Raymond, though, because I've never watched them. I think the religious aspect was added to the mix as part of the charade.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:41 pm
Well if you watch the show house then most the doctors are atheist on his old team.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 pm
I've reduced my T.V. watching for that reason. I can't even watch the news with out hearing about some one who overcome something fatal and thanks god and not the people who worked hard to save them.  

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Free the immortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:40 pm
User Image
Well in southpark that is apparently what god looks like ^ and I find that funny as hell
South park is one of the best shows for showing religion yet at same time going WAY against it lol

But I agree that religion should not be shown on tv it does not make a show better or worse if there christian or not  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:50 pm
and to think people worship that thing
blaugh  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

EATSMEATS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:03 pm
IVIalice
]
I know, me too!! scream  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:10 am
chemos32o8
I've reduced my T.V. watching for that reason. I can't even watch the news with out hearing about some one who overcome something fatal and thanks god and not the people who worked hard to save them.

I can't even watch the news without an anchor bringing up god.
This is more common with FOX news programming though.

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm
IVIalice

Wait wait... there are Scientology commercials!? eek

In other news... We do not have cable. We get TV through the antenna. Do you know how many channels are Christian channels? 6/24. That's right, 25% of what is available on TV for free is Christian programming. crying  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff