Reply Japanese language
-i have two last questions-

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

--amerikajin desu--

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:05 pm
mmk..i know how to say "why" but where would you put it in a sentence?
like for "why do you wanna go there" would it be:
soko ni naze ikimasu ka?..or like "why is it inside the car?"would that be:
kuruma no naka ni naze arimasu?
and last thing..could "wa" be used multiple times in a sentence? ive seen people do that before and i just wana no how to do it  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:46 pm
well first of there are a few ways to say "why"... I think that "doushite" comes to mind first for me instead of "naze" ^^; Personally if I was going to write "why do you want do go there" I'd write it
どうしてそこに行きたいですか。
I wasn't sure on the difference between Naze and doushite myself so I looked it up and it seems that naze is a tad bit more formal than doushite *anyone feel free to correct* I'm going to look into it a bit more though ^_^ Though when using Naze it seems to come later in the sentence and doushite is usually at the beginning. However, that's the wonderful thing about Japanese sentences, you can kinda move them around and as long as you have your verb at the end and the subject at the beginning you're good ^_^ granted switching things up tends to change where the emphasis is in the sentence... but the meaning generally will stay the same.

ok second question:
the answer is yes, wa and just about all the other particles can be used multiple times in a sentence. The one particle that CAN NOT be used more than once is "wo"... I'm sure there is some supper dupper important reason why this is... but I can't recall it at the moment. I just remember that that's how it is XD  

Kiseimaru

6,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100

--amerikajin desu--

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 am
Kiseimaru
well first of there are a few ways to say "why"... I think that "doushite" comes to mind first for me instead of "naze" ^^; Personally if I was going to write "why do you want do go there" I'd write it
どうしてそこに行きたいですか。
I wasn't sure on the difference between Naze and doushite myself so I looked it up and it seems that naze is a tad bit more formal than doushite *anyone feel free to correct* I'm going to look into it a bit more though ^_^ Though when using Naze it seems to come later in the sentence and doushite is usually at the beginning. However, that's the wonderful thing about Japanese sentences, you can kinda move them around and as long as you have your verb at the end and the subject at the beginning you're good ^_^ granted switching things up tends to change where the emphasis is in the sentence... but the meaning generally will stay the same.

ok second question:
the answer is yes, wa and just about all the other particles can be used multiple times in a sentence. The one particle that CAN NOT be used more than once is "wo"... I'm sure there is some supper dupper important reason why this is... but I can't recall it at the moment. I just remember that that's how it is XD

hmm mmk that helped thanks! ..im starting to get the whole japanese sentence layout now haha..the only thing i dont really understand now is, how can yu use "wa" multiple times? there would already be a subject..so how can you add another sub. in the sentence? can yu give an example if you can? sorry for all the questions ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:44 pm
No worries ^_^ Here is an example I found in one of my text books.

昔は一ドル三百六十円だったこともあるが、今は一ドル百五円ぐらいだ。
mukashi wa ichi doru sanbyakku roku juu en datta koto mo aru ga, ima ha ichi doru hyakky go en gurai da.

So essentially, the "wa" in the first half of the sentence marks the topic for the first half and the second half, the subject changed to "now" so it's marked with "wa" as well.  

Kiseimaru

6,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100

--amerikajin desu--

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:02 pm
Kiseimaru
No worries ^_^ Here is an example I found in one of my text books.

昔は一ドル三百六十円だったこともあるが、今は一ドル百五円ぐらいだ。
mukashi wa ichi doru sanbyakku roku juu en datta koto mo aru ga, ima ha ichi doru hyakky go en gurai da.

So essentially, the "wa" in the first half of the sentence marks the topic for the first half and the second half, the subject changed to "now" so it's marked with "wa" as well.

ooooh ok i see..so tht sentence basically translates to "a long time ago i had one dollar and 360 yen,but now i have about one dollar and 105 yen"
right??? srry if its wrong^^ but evn if it is wrong i understand about "wa"
domo arigatouu!!  
Japanese language

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces