Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Respecting Ignorance

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

O girl, they thought he was a man, but...?
  He only was a muffin.
  He was a nuffin.
  He was a snuffin.
View Results

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:13 pm
Is following a religion (in a well developed country where logical alternative thought is easily available) a sign of ignorance? And if it is how does one go about respecting that induvidual? And if it isn't, then what is it?

Ex: A KKK guy is casually standing in a hallway in a public facility and says nothing but is fully dressed or even just has a swastika patch on his clothes. Given what he represents, you'd probably avoid him and not give him much respect. Now lets say theres a guy wearing a cross neckalace or has it patched on his clothes, would you react the same way as you would with the KKK member? What if it was a she wearing a burqa and you knew that she had the choice to sport it or not?

Should you get mad at all 3 for openly practicing their beliefs?

Where's the line between religion and culture? (I'm confused on it)

And if I'm missing something and jumping the shark somewhere, please do tell.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:28 pm
well in all honesty i wouldnt really care for the guy in the swastika or the guy in the KKK.. mainly because the cops and everyone are gunna be watching them real close.. and because i know that there just plain stupid and people are going to look at them in a bad way..
but if someone had a cross stitched on there clothes id ignore them completely.. one because its just obnoxious if someone would do that and two because i know other catholics would look and him/her and be like "o look a devout catholic.. what a great person!"
if i were in a store with them or near them for a long time in a public place id probably say something to them..  

Nardone

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:03 am
User Image

There's having a belief in god/s and then there's WHOA YOU'RE FRIGGIN' CRAZY! Most of the country believes in a god, and they're okay people. But the only ones you hear about are the ones who are friggin' crazy. I know some very smart people who believe in a god. However, I've never met ANYONE smart who is a super crazy fundie.

tl;dr? MY ANSWER: EXTREMISM IS A SIGN OF IGNORANCE.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:44 am
In my mind, they're all just as bad. In some cases the "cross wearer" is worse, but let me tune some things:

A KKK-Nazi is not the same as a cross wearer. A better comparison would be a Militant Muslim. Just because someone wears a cross doesn't mean they are a zealot, but someone who wears a swastika on top of his already antisemitic white-supremacist clothing is clearly a zealot! Therefore, he is better compared to religious zealots such as anti-abortion pro-lifers who post the home addresses of doctors in hopes of getting them murdered.

In that case, their both ********' nuts. I would avoid them all. But you also have to understand that not all of the fervent religious are violent, in fact, although I wish it were otherwise since it would help the case of religion being bad for the world, in America, violent theists are a minority. However, antisemitic white-supremacists are prone to violence! And that is a major point in my looking down at him a little more than a fervent theist. Furthermore, at least most religions have the option of conversion, where as KKK-Nazi is out for genocide. You can see the massive difference.

I'd also like to state, that, in a way, I do parallel some forms of theism with racism. However, we live in a free country, and if one wants to be racist or a theist, it is their choice. So long as they don't commit crimes and attempt to force their philosophies on me, it's really none of my concern.

As for your other question, I do see a connection between ignorance (mind you, I mean it's literal definition as in "lack of knowledge" and not it's incorrect modern usage as a synonym for "foolish") and theism and racism, but it is not an absolute since there are very educated racists, theists, sexists, and bigots. But one does have to be a fool to be any of them.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:48 am
Meirelle

tl;dr? MY ANSWER: EXTREMISM IS A SIGN OF IGNORANCE.
I extremely believe that 2+2=4. I will not accept anything else being taught about 2+2 in schools. I do not tolerate your alternative theory that 2+2=5.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:04 am
For me, it's a difference in attitude.

The KKK always promotes hate. That's what they're about.

On the other hand, no matter how you may feel about fundamentalists, not all Christians and Muslims hate, or are even particularly concerned with what others believe and will not bother you.

It's like... If they respect me, I will respect them. It's just that it's rather rare to get respect for my world-view from people who do things like wear crosses and such, so it's sort of rare that I give it back.  

alteregoivy

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:46 pm
alteregoivy

On the other hand, no matter how you may feel about fundamentalists, not all Christians and Muslims hate, or are even particularly concerned with what others believe and will not bother you.

It's like... If they respect me, I will respect them. It's just that it's rather rare to get respect for my world-view from people who do things like wear crosses and such, so it's sort of rare that I give it back.

I agree... Assuming that a Christian or a Muslim is full of hatred and racism is like assuming that an atheist has no morals because they don't have a religion to base their morals in. Like you said, the KKK and their members are about hatred. With religious people, it's not as cut and dry; there are some who use their religion to hate, and others who use their religion to love (and more still who aren't too attached to their religion, but they probably wouldn't be the ones wearing crosses or burqas). I don't feel you can accurately assume which person they are just because of a cross or the fact that they wear a burqa.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 pm
I give respect to whom I receive it from. Even a member of the KKK as long as they don't tell me what to believe I will respect them. It's a free country they may do as they please until they break a law or do wrong to me. If they want to hate, fine because many Christians and Catholics probably hate me too.  

EATSMEATS

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:52 pm
alteregoivy

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Agreed. I mean, it does bother me a little when people wear really obvious signs of their religion (Christian t-shirts mostly), but that's because, due to my personal experiences, I can't help but associate those garments with pushy bigots. A simple cross necklace or something along those lines generally doesn't bother me.

I think that following a religion isn't necessarily ignorance. Some people do believe out of ignorance, but I think more people believe out of fear; they are victims.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games