Everybody loves 'Splosion Man! - A review by Cheesio

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:44 am
'Splosion Man (Xbox Live Arcade)

With Sonic not quite living up to fan's expectations these days, it's fair to say Mario has won over the blue blur as the king of platforming. However, a new challenger has been born. Say hello to 'Splosion Man. 'Splosion Man for the Xbox Live Arcade has you 'sploding, running, obstacle dodging, and puzzle solving as a strange hyper-active experiment with the power to 'splode around a 2.5D science... For a lack of a better word: lab.

'Splosion Man has it all: Charm, great music, nice visuals, hillarious humor, and most importantly, it's really damn fun. As 'Splosion Man, your ability to 'splode lets you triple jump, destroy things (including scientists who turn into slices of meat), deflect missiles, set off bombs to launch yourself, and wall jump. It may sound like a rather simple platformer, but there's a lot more to this super-challenging 'splodeathon than meets the eye. The first few levels are pretty simple, just 'splode (jump) and wall jump your way through the levels, with the odd puzzle or enemy. But then it gets hard very quickly. Moving platforms and bombs flying about above a quickly rising sea of deadly acid, an un-solvable puzzle involving swarms of robots firing lasers at you, a combination of both, a giant robot running after you while you try to 'splode your way around an obstacle course, and don't get me started on the bosses. Altogether, the gameplay perfectly combines fast-paced 'sploding fun with rock hard puzzle solving and platforming.

Although 'Splosion Man isn't just fun for it's gameplay, but everything else is fun, not to mention very funny too. For example, the visuals. Very fun and cartoony. Better than boring realistic graphics. And the music and humor? You just need to listen to this song to get the idea.
I really can't fault this game. Quite frankly, it's a masterpiece. 50 levels of awesome, as well as plenty of multiplayer levels to play with friends and people online, really fun, very funny, and has tons of charm. Great for high-score lovers too, and for people who like to collect everything in-game. (There's a cake in each level, which the achievement insists isn't a Portal reference) The only bad little things that I can pick out are the loading screen isn't great, you're left wanting more levels, and the bosses can be very frustrating.

This game earns a spot in my top ten list of platformers, and that's including Mario games and 3D platformers. A great achievement for 'Splosion Man. If you have an Xbox 360, get it. You won't regret it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

94%

Oh, and here's a little treat for you guys!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:32 am
Tis' a good game it tis' 3nodding  

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,075 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500

Tonberry Crunch

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:16 am
I played it with Kath, my brother and his. It was so much fun. The game is great.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 am
Tonberry Crunch
I played it with Kath, my brother and his. It was so much fun. The game is great.

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

The Rawk Hawk

Fashionable Nerd

6,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:13 am
I don't have a 360.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am
Oh look. Another thing that's supposed to be funny, but I find not at all hilarious.

I'll probably never play this game. I'd like to know what this "un-solvable puzzle" is though.  

Terara Drakon

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:22 pm
Kirbythecreampuff
Oh look. Another thing that's supposed to be funny, but I find not at all hilarious.

I'll probably never play this game. I'd like to know what this "un-solvable puzzle" is though.
How can you say you don't find it funny if you've never played it?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Super Cheesio
Kirbythecreampuff

By what I see on Youtube

It's not funny.

But it gets points for being developed by Twisted Pixel. The Maw was really fun. Actually, I may get it, but only because of this and the fact that it has puzzles.  

Terara Drakon

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:45 am
Kirbythecreampuff
Super Cheesio
Kirbythecreampuff

By what I see on Youtube

It's not funny.

But it gets points for being developed by Twisted Pixel. The Maw was really fun. Actually, I may get it, but only because of this and the fact that it has puzzles.
You have a 360? What's your gamertag?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:14 pm
The demo is fun, but I would never pay 800 Microsoft Points for a game that most likely will be dead in a year. For example, N+. What a waste of money, the game is great but some levels are so hard you need a partner and people barely play online so you are ********, and if you quit you can't get the hardest achievement in the game.

Anyways, ******** my a**.  

Romyion

Dapper Gaian

Social Room

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas