Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
I'm slim... I'm shiny... and I'm oh so sexy... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PS3 Slim is sexy like:
  Mah azz
  Mah thighz
  Sugartits
  I thought this was pg-13...
View Results

Iakun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:50 am
I'm a PEE ESS THREE bitchez, hollywood bimbo version! heart

Haha I'm talking about the new PS3 slim here people. I'm so excited this finally came out. I was hoping and waiting they'd release a slim, just like they did for the PS2. The price has been cut down to 300 bucks here in good ol' Canadia, land of beer, bacon, maple syrup and super ghey weddings.

Originally I leaned more to the x360 because it had some jrpgs on it. My sister bought it for me for Christmas, I'm really thankful for that. But now with Final Fantasy 13, and versus 13 coming out in the future, along with one or two other titles I've had my eyes on, I'm really starting to think about buying the PS3.

It still has its blu-ray functions, 120gig HD, and it's small and apparently super quiet.

Discuss? What consoles do you have and what genres of games do you enjoy most?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:06 am
I have a "Sega Genesis", a "Nintendo DS", and
all 3 "Playstation - PS2 - & PS3" (my versions are all the originals)

http://www.arthurshall.com/images/2008_images/consoles_genesis.jpg
http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/555/555487/nintendo-ds-in-our-hands-20041007110515888.jpg
http://www.game-machines.com/consoles/syspics/playstation.gif
http://www.at-mix.de/images/glossar/playstation2.jpg
http://www.nextstation.com.ar/playstation-3.jpg

I don't like the slim versions.
I talked to guy at a repair shop once and he said that the slim ones are the ones that brake down and have to be repaired more frequently. That's the reason they're cheaper is because the companies cut corners just so it's cheaper to make.

AND, slim versions never have backwards compatibility!!!

ALSO, blu-ray is EVIL.
It does NOT hold more space.
The companies just wanted it because it gives them more copy-right protection. The only thing it does is get in the way. Sometimes you can't even play your blu-ray disk in a blue-ray player because the tech is SO flawed. But by that time, the companies already have your money, so they don't give a crap about it anymore.
I weep for the HD-DVD format that lost that war.  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:54 am
No slims for me, kthx. Like dude said, no backwards compatibility, and I gotta have that. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:19 pm
I'm trying to desperately remember what backwards compatability means....

Okay I have PS1 (both versions), PS2 (slim), Gamecube (silver), Wii, DS (Uber-old dinosaur version), PSP slim (silver).

I really want to get a nintendo 64 just so I can play super smash brothers, the original one.  

aamiller321

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:57 pm
Let me see consoles I have the Sega Genesis, the Playstation, the Playstation One, the PS2, the N64, the Gamecube, the Wii, the Gameboy Color, the Gameboy Advanced, and the DS Lite.

I do plan to eventually get the PS3...maybe hopefully we'll see. I want Final Fantasy Versus 13 but this crap about having to update my freakin console via internet and all is a load of crap! If I freakin wanted my gaming console to deal with the internet I would have freakin bought a PC version of the game! *growls*

(Sorry bad day so I'm a bit..."passionate" about this.)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:25 am

I have an Atari system, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, PS1, PS2, Gameboy Color, GBA, DS Lite, PSP, Wii. .......And I think that might be it. I don't know. I don't really play games that often, my husband does.

[rini]

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:23 am
aamiller: um, backwards compatability means you can play games from previous system versions. Like a ps1 and ps2 can be played on the ps3.
And gba can be played on the ds.

Unffortunately when companies make "slim" versions they usually take out that option. In other words, the ps3 slime will NOT be able to play ps2 and ps1 games. Just like the new dsi can't play gba games.

rini: you have an atari? awesome
original, or just one of the newer compilations?

original
http://www.aeropause.com/archives/atari180.jpg
The newer version is just the controller that has all the teck inside it.
No other piece required. Just plug the controller into your tv and play.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:13 pm
My cousin had the original Atari. As for what I have/had, I had the original Sega Genisis and PlayStation (modified to play copied games). Now I have the silver GameCube (unused since I have the Wii), the silver slim PS2, the Wii and the Xbox 360. I also still have my Gameboy color, and I have the original DS.

As far as slims go, I've never had a problem with my PS2 slim and neither has a friend of mine. BC doesn't matter to me. I still have a relatively new PS2 slim hooked up to the tv so it's not like I won't still be able to play PS2 games.

I don't think it's a lie that Blu-ray holds more data. 50 gigs for a dual layered disc.

On another note, I got the crazy idea in my head to write a guide for Final Fantasy 13 and maybe submit it to gamefaqs. sweatdrop xd

Iakun

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm
I'm debating still on whether to get a PSP or not those with one is it worth it to get one? Good item? Long lasting? Give me some info would ya?

*shrugs* I don't really care if a console is a slim or not as long as the sucker works and doesn't break down then I'm a happy camper. ^_^

I'm with ya bro by what my teacher says the Blu-Ray is far superior to the HD-DVD. However, the only said thing I see about this is if they get rid of regular DVD's and their players I've got to buy all my anime once again this time on Blu-Ray which sucks! Do you know how much that would cost me? That's the only down side I really see to Blu-Ray.

*whistles* I doubt I could do that! You can do it bro! *cheers*  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:08 am
Normally I'd be sympathetic, sis. But to be honest, if we're going to progress we can't just keep using old formats because people will complain about having to update their library. Before DVD, we had a gigantic VHS collection thanks to my mum and of course it was a pain to leave all that behind once I started buying DVD's but I wouldn't want to stay at VHS quality either.

It's the same with blu-ray vs dvd. It may be a bit pricier sometimes but if I get a PS3 it's gonna feel a bit of a waste for me to keep buying regular dvds.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I really am crazy for attempting this. There are really great faq writers on that site already who manage to get so much done in a disturbingly short amount of time. I don't really know if there's a point to me attempting this heh... The skeleton's done, now I just need the game to start playing and filling in the walkthrough. XP

Iakun

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 am
From the sounds of it, most people here have multiple systems.

I prefer getting systems that have backwards compatability because eventually the older ones will brake and then you won't be able to play your old games at all. Because the old systems aren't sold anymore, and don't say ebay or amazon, because used is a load of garbage with how people these days don't take very good care of there stuff.

One person I talked to said that PSPs stratch their own disks during game play, but I'd still consider getting one if just for Crisis Core.

AHA! No one has tried to say I was wrong though about blu-ray being so flawed that even blu-ray players have trouble playing their own disks.
(and no, I didn't know exacly how much it was said to hold)

Ah I remember VHS. What a pain that was.
I'm all for advancing new technology, except when it has been stuffed with copy-prevention. It's the same reason I also think vista is evil.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:35 pm
Well, backward compatibility would be nice, I'll admit that much. My point was that for myself it's just not a deal breaker when it comes to getting a console. I do think it is somewhat stupid for Sony to get rid of BC. Could it really have been THAT much more costly to keep that feature?

I agree with you on used products. Generally I don't like them because people these days really don't take care of their own possessions. That said, I'd NEVER buy a used console over eBay (though I did buy my Wii brand new over eBay back when it was nearly impossible to find them in stores).

As for disc scratching, even though the X360 can be positioned vertically, it's common knowledge that doing so will scratch your discs. I'm just glad I haven't gotten a RROD yet, but since mine is a new model the chance of that are much lower, but still there.

Truthfully, I don't have firsthand experience with Blu-ray movies. But I think it probably has more to do with quality of lens/laser than it does the discs themselves. What worries me a little bit was that someone on gamefaqs mentioned they're using lower quality lenses in new PS3s now (slims) but I guess that's unavoidable to a degree since they wanted to cut the console price. I'd still need actual evidence of Blu-ray discs themselves being crap. I actually haven't heard from anyone else about these troubles playing the discs.

VHS had its own format war against... blah I can't remember the other format. But this time around people were hoping Blu-ray would win because during the VHS format war, VHS was actually the inferior format. I'm actually sort of surprised Blu-ray won considering it was up against a format which was generally much cheaper or something.

Well, copy prevention is a necessary evil I guess. I believe that when you've bought the product, you should be able to make a copy of it for backup in case the main copy craps out on you. But that same freedom would lead to even worse piracy.

Iakun

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:36 pm
Bro: Oh don't get me wrong I'm totally with the progress of technology especially when it comes to my viewing pleasure, but at the same time it's still a bit of a pain really. Doesn't mean I won't update if I have to, but I'll sure complain about it. ^_^

By the way bro the VHS war was with what was called a BETA. The Beta was smaller and better quality and held more then the VHS, but however the VHS won. I know I had some stuff on BETA then had to switch to a VHS when my BETA player finally crapped out.

Agreed it surprised me when Blu-Ray won their war with the previous battle it was the lesser quality that had won so when the great quality won it was actually shocking to me.

Dude: I can't say anything about the not being able to play a Blu-Ray because I haven't heard anything about it. I also don't own a disc or a player so can't say about it from personal experience because I have none. However, I can say for certain that the Blu-Ray is the higher quality and can hold more information and such because my computer professor taught me that. ^_^ So that I know for certain.

Hm...Yes, I really want Crisis Core and there is another Final Fantasy game being release on the PSP that looks interesting. So honestly Dude do you think it's worth it to get the PSP?

To both of you I agree in many ways I don't tend to buy used anything because I like my stuff to be in at least GOOD condition however if it's something I really want and can't find and it's at a descent price I will tempt fate for it and try it. *shrugs* So it really depends some things I will buy used others not so much. However, when it comes to a console system I'd never buy one used.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:28 am
Lots of people I know have had trouble with blu-ray discs not wanting to play for them. But if it's a matter of quality, I've seen the picture, and honestly, I don't think it looks any better than regular old dvds. If there's some small difference that I can't see, I don't consider it a big enough deal to warrant my switching. New tech isn't always better than old.

As for the PSP, I have one friend who says that their screens have a nasty habit of breaking. He's had to replace his twice because a few pixel spaces went dead. He could just be unlucky, I spose, but it's something to look into.

purpleravenhawk
Captain

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:51 am
He could just be unlucky.
I mean, purple predicted that my DS would be broken within the month.
But I've had it for a couple years now, and it's still going good.  
Nothing's coming.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff