Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What is Your Definition of Atheism? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:11 pm
I'm doing a project on Atheism for school, and I'm having trouble explaining the "Belief in no God, or no belief in God" and different websites tell me that several Atheists have their own definition of the term "atheist". Could you guys explain to me what your definition of Atheism is, and if you could help me understand the "Belief in no god/no belief in God" saying, that would be great.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:46 pm
I would say...both. I don't believe in any god whatsoever, and since I was raised as a catholic I have to say I don't believe in the god that all my friends do, jesus. I just think its really far fetched that we can explain how the universe started, and still have a god? It would've made some sense before astronomers and whoever, but now everyones just being silly.  

IJustSeeTheSky

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:58 pm
"Rejection of Religion"  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:00 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"Belief in no god" means that "I believe that there definitely is no such thing as god."

"No belief in god" means that "I don't believe in any gods, but I don't necessarily hold that there definitely is no such thing."

Atheism in itself falls under the second definition. Some atheists are "hard" atheists and they take the first definition for themselves.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:01 pm
Rejection of all religion, and the concept of god and afterlife.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:07 pm

Atheism =/= rejection of religion. Atheistic religions exist (e.g. Buddhism).

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:14 pm
... If it's an atheistic RELIGION it is a religion...
I'll just agree with cellophane  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer

It depends on how you define religion.
I was always under the impression that Buddhism, at least the type that atheists follow, was more of a philosophy than a religion.
But I'll admit now before making an a** out of myself that I don't know very much about Buddhism.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:28 pm
cellophane tape
Daffodil the Destroyer

I was always under the impression that Buddhism, at least the type that atheists follow, was more of a philosophy than a religion.
But I'll admit now before making an a** out of myself that I don't know very much about Buddhism.

The Buddhism is a religion, because it makes certain claims about death and such. Different strands of Buddhism teach that there is resurection, others don't. But they all believe in the soul.

As for my own definition of atheism... I prefer the terms Materialist, Agnostic and Idealist.
Materialism
1. The basic proposition of materialism refers to the nature of reality, regardless of the existence of mankind. It states that matter is the primordial substance, the essence, of reality. everything comes from matter and its movements and is based upon matter. This thought is expressed in the phrase "mother nature". This signifies in materialist terms that nature is the ultimate source of everything in the universe from galactic systems to the most intimate feeling and boldest thoughts of homo sapiens.

2. The second aspect of materialism covers the relations between matter and mind. According to materialism, matter produces mind and mind never exists apart from matter. Mind is the highest product of material developement and animal organisation and the most complex form of human actvity.

3. This means that nature exists independantly of mind but that no mind can exist apart from matter. The material world existed long befre mankind or any thinking being came into existence. As feuerbach said "the true relation of thought to being is this; being is subject, thought is predecate. thought springs from being, but being does not spring from thought".

4. This precludes the existence of any God, gods, spirits, souls or other immaterial entities which are alleged to direct or influence th opperations of nature, society and the inner man.

Idealism
1. The basic element of reality is not matter but mind or spirit. Everything else, in the last analysis, comes from mind or spirit and depends upon its operations.

2. Mind generates material things; behind or before the material world lurks the spirit or mind creating it. Nature may be the mother but there is a god-father who transcends her.

3. Thus mind or spirit exists before and apart from matter. Spirit is the abiding reality; matter no more than a passing phase or illusion.

4. Mind or spirit is identical with or emanates from the divine, or at leats leaves open the possibility of supernatural existence, power and interference.

Agnosticism, as always, is the fence sitter who says that we cannot know either way.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:27 am
I would figure Buddhism is a religion because it's closely related to Japanese Shintoism... but I only know about the latter I don' know much about Buddhism.  

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

Raticiel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:47 pm
Louis-Auguste Robespierre
cellophane tape
Daffodil the Destroyer

The Buddhism is a religion, because it makes certain claims about death and such. Different strands of Buddhism teach that there is resurection, others don't. But they all believe in the soul.

As for my own definition of atheism... I prefer the terms Materialist, Agnostic and Idealist.
Materialism
1. The basic proposition of materialism refers to the nature of reality, regardless of the existence of mankind. It states that matter is the primordial substance, the essence, of reality. everything comes from matter and its movements and is based upon matter. This thought is expressed in the phrase "mother nature". This signifies in materialist terms that nature is the ultimate source of everything in the universe from galactic systems to the most intimate feeling and boldest thoughts of homo sapiens.

2. The second aspect of materialism covers the relations between matter and mind. According to materialism, matter produces mind and mind never exists apart from matter. Mind is the highest product of material developement and animal organisation and the most complex form of human actvity.

3. This means that nature exists independantly of mind but that no mind can exist apart from matter. The material world existed long befre mankind or any thinking being came into existence. As feuerbach said "the true relation of thought to being is this; being is subject, thought is predecate. thought springs from being, but being does not spring from thought".

4. This precludes the existence of any God, gods, spirits, souls or other immaterial entities which are alleged to direct or influence th opperations of nature, society and the inner man.

Idealism
1. The basic element of reality is not matter but mind or spirit. Everything else, in the last analysis, comes from mind or spirit and depends upon its operations.

2. Mind generates material things; behind or before the material world lurks the spirit or mind creating it. Nature may be the mother but there is a god-father who transcends her.

3. Thus mind or spirit exists before and apart from matter. Spirit is the abiding reality; matter no more than a passing phase or illusion.

4. Mind or spirit is identical with or emanates from the divine, or at leats leaves open the possibility of supernatural existence, power and interference.

Agnosticism, as always, is the fence sitter who says that we cannot know either way.

What about skepticism? smile it's the safest position - as a skeptic I can say: maybe we can, maybe we can't, maybe someday we will know? I like it a lot, even if it might be dangerous.
If it comes to parting realism and idealism I think there's a short way:
- idealists say everything depends on subject
- realists say that everything is independent from subject
Both ways are somehow incomplete. Like Wittgenstein says: they are actually the same 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 pm
cellophane tape
Rejection of all religion, and the concept of god and afterlife.
What about reincarnation? It is a kind of afterlife, but doesn't have to include any gods.

Atheist is: a (negation) + theist (someone who claims god's existence, but not necessarily believes in it)  

Raticiel

Dark Lord Erebus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:23 pm
i would say that an agnostic is someone who doesn't believe in a god until they find a good religion which could take all their life an atheist is someone who denies all gods existence even if they met them.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:56 pm
Raticiel
Louis-Auguste Robespierre
cellophane tape
Daffodil the Destroyer

Materialism

Idealism

What about skepticism? smile it's the safest position - as a skeptic I can say: maybe we can, maybe we can't, maybe someday we will know? I like it a lot, even if it might be dangerous.
If it comes to parting realism and idealism I think there's a short way:
- idealists say everything depends on subject
- realists say that everything is independent from subject
Both ways are somehow incomplete. Like Wittgenstein says: they are actually the same 3nodding

Such skepticism would be identical to Agnosticism, would it not? No matter its views of what the future may bring, right now we don't know, and cannot know. So why bother calling it something different?  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

The Random Rapist

Profitable Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 pm
*cough cough *
Technically if you’re against all religion, that’s anti-religious,
Which may or may not relate to atheism at all.

For example,
You can be an atheist, but be okay with some religions and feel people are free to practice what they want.

You can also be atheist, but feel that religion is [insert derogatory term here]

“In the history of the world, nothing has been the catalyst of more grief, hatred, war, and crime than religion. Religion allows a person to hate, kill, torture, or steal, while allowing him to recuse himself of all blame. Religion causes people to break the laws of ethics and morality in the name of a god. “
all very good reasons to reject religion IMO.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff