Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I don't need to be threatened with Hell to be a good person!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:57 pm
Don't you love the argument that all Atheists are immoral because they have no one to punish them for wrongs committed?

I have actually had someone tell me that if it weren't for God's punishment, they wouldn't care about the law and do whatever the hell they wanted.

I can't help but feel that I am the more moral person here, seeing as how I don't need to be threatened with punishment from God in order to be a good person.

On the other hand, people who are motivated to do good things because of wanting to emulate God... I guess that's okay. Purer motives, anyway.

What do you guys think? Should there be a formal Atheist code or something to tell others, hey, we have these things we do, we're good people, too!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:13 pm
There should be ^^
i don't think just because your an athiest doesn't mean that we dont have morals  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Piroki-chan23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:24 pm
I don't think there should be an Atheist code. It's not like the law is there to be a bunch of guidelines.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:38 pm
i totally agree with you! like, girls always say they cant date a certain guy because 'he isnt christian and he obviously doesnt have any morals'. doesnt god always say not to judge people? maybe im wrong, i havent read the bible or anything. but just because your atheist, doesnt mean you dont have morals. its not like the word 'moral' was made just for christians. wait, or was it?  

IJustSeeTheSky

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:09 pm
To me, having a "formal atheist code" would imply that you would have to follow that code in order to be a "true" atheist. I think the only thing one should need to be a true atheist is a lack of belief in any deities. That being said, it certainly makes someone seem fake if the only reason they have morals is so they don't have to spend an eternity in hell. It's funny when someone acts like they're better than me just because I don't need to be threatened and frightened into behaving like a normal/good person.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:16 pm
I don't think an offical "Atheist Code" is needed. One of the most important things to me in my life is being a good person. I firmly believe that people can only do what they think is best for themselves, and live with their choices. I admire many of the Atheists I krow for the generosity and kindness: these are people who don't need the "Fear of God" so to speak, dangling over their heads to be a decent person. I've heard that Atheists are immoral, but I've never seen that.

And to be honest, I get really annoyed when I hear somebody talk like that.  

Keliling

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm
Dude you would think this would be accomplished already Well then let me make one off the tip of my head.

Does it matter if you get your morals from a god? is it not simply enough to know someone else is going to have a better life due to your actions?

that is what I think if it's not formal message me on formality rules dudes.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:44 pm
Morals are different from culture to culture. Morals displayed in the bible are different from the morals in an advanced society today. So basically, many christians act like atheists, following mostly the same moral guidelines. I think an athiest code would be more like a humanitarian code, if there is one.  

G4NTZ

Dark Lord Erebus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:52 pm
if Christians say that without god they can do what ever they want without consequence then they've forgotten about police and their role in society.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 pm
User Image

You are the more moral person in that scenario.

And I really wouldn't care if they went ahead and broke
the law and did whatever the hell they want. 'Cause they'll
get arrested and the sooner these people are locked up
the better.

If there's anything like an Atheist Code, I think it'll all be
stuff that are already included in the law...

If you want to show people that atheists can be good too,
just list out a few great humanitarians/people who are atheists.
(Brad Pitt is one of them 3nodding )
You can find them anywhere on the internet.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 pm
If we do good ONLY beacuse we fear punishment, then... how moral can we be?

Seriously. They're making me think that if their god didn't existed to them in their very own, personal terms, they'd do bad s**t all day.

I can't bear the remorse of inmorality emo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Gawd I hate that..... They have guilt religions.  

Gun Culture

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff