Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What's the Dumbest Anti-Atheist Agrument You've Heard? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Piroki-chan23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:53 pm
There are many arguments saying that we are immoral, fools, evil, ect. and I was wonder what the dumbest one that you have ever heard is.
For me, it would be the following:

"Everyone knows that scientists use complicated words to confuse Christians, like, deoxyribonucleic acid. Pretty impressive huh? You know what happens to stuff when they are droped in acid? They dissolve. If we where full of that acid we would dissolve."

First of all, our stomachs are filled with acid. Second of all, things like salt and shugar dissolve in water and water isn't an acid. Finnaly, even scientists call deoxyribonucleic acid "DNA".  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:35 pm
water is more acidic than basic, isnt it? The worst i've heard are: "atheists dont feel the way normal people do, so it must be wrong" and " Water is so perfect and is such a staple for life that it couldnt just come naturally. The odds are impossible"

I think i saw that DNA comment in a youtube video mocking a chirstian forum.  

G4NTZ

Indie_lullaby

Tipsy Gawker

6,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm
Basically any agruement against atheism is childish.

But those just give me a headache. ugh.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:05 pm
Dude Morality is common the stupidest argument I have ever heard is the

"If god ditched us everyone will feel empty hopeless and desperate like atheist. Missionaries will lose reason to help people with Malaria AIDS and Hurricane Katrina victims helping people pointless no afterlife no point success will depend on hard work and luck (it does) god will help one man over another before when he leaves they will earn it (Sounding better already) missing children might or might not be returned home (doesn't this already happen?) thanksgiving another diner (doesn't thanksgiving celebrate a successful harvest?) we would have no food without god (there is no god we have food it is slander) Disasters strike at random (They do strike at random.) simple pleasures lose meaning (They already have no meaning) giggle from a baby becomes a mere sound. Puppies no longer cute (how can they say that) we can then have sex with them (oh god the guy that said this is screwed up) society breaks down immediately the laws based on bible in constitution somewhere (Dude non religious people founded America.) this guy said he will kill people and eat them. fear of disobeying god (does a good person create fear?) we would suffocate.(shoot glad we have a god oh wait we don't)

I was scared to watch the video here is the link to his channel http://www.youtube.com/user/EdwardCurrent
his channel is a joke of idiotic christains things mixed together  

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:22 am
G4NTZ
water is more acidic than basic, isnt it?
Are you being cereal or is that some crap someone said to you? Water is neither basic nor acidic. It is because water has equal numbers of OH- and H+.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:03 am
Yevn
Dude Morality is common the stupidest argument I have ever heard is the

"If god ditched us everyone will feel empty hopeless and desperate like atheist. Missionaries will lose reason to help people with Malaria AIDS and Hurricane Katrina victims helping people pointless no afterlife no point success will depend on hard work and luck (it does) god will help one man over another before when he leaves they will earn it (Sounding better already) missing children might or might not be returned home (doesn't this already happen?) thanksgiving another diner (doesn't thanksgiving celebrate a successful harvest?) we would have no food without god (there is no god we have food it is slander) Disasters strike at random (They do strike at random.) simple pleasures lose meaning (They already have no meaning) giggle from a baby becomes a mere sound. Puppies no longer cute (how can they say that) we can then have sex with them (oh god the guy that said this is screwed up) society breaks down immediately the laws based on bible in constitution somewhere (Dude non religious people founded America.) this guy said he will kill people and eat them. fear of disobeying god (does a good person create fear?) we would suffocate.(shoot glad we have a god oh wait we don't)

I was scared to watch the video here is the link to his channel http://www.youtube.com/user/EdwardCurrent
his channel is a joke of idiotic christains things mixed together

eek That may be the dumbest anti-atheist argument ever!  

Piroki-chan23

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:27 am
Actually, this is an argument that I fell for the first time I heard it, but once it was explained to me why it was wrong, I realized it is really, really dumb.

Ever heard of Pascal's Wager? It's a classic, and it's so easily refutable. It goes like this:

If you don't believe in God and He doesn't exist, then nothing happens.
However, if you believe in God and He does exist, you'll go to Heaven!
If you don't believe in God and He does exist, you'll go to Hell.
If you believe in God and He doesn't exist, you've lost nothing. If you don't believe in God and He does exist, you've lost everything.
Conclusion: Bet on the safe side and believe in God.

There are so many ways that this doesn't work... Let me know if you need an explanation, tho, cause I did the first time I heard it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:13 am
alteregoivy
Actually, this is an argument that I fell for the first time I heard it, but once it was explained to me why it was wrong, I realized it is really, really dumb.

Ever heard of Pascal's Wager? It's a classic, and it's so easily refutable. It goes like this:

If you believe in God and He doesn't exist, you've lost nothing. If you don't believe in God and He does exist, you've lost everything.

There are so many ways that this doesn't work... Let me know if you need an explanation, tho, cause I did the first time I heard it.
Excuse me, but it goes a little differently. Pascal's Wager doesn't say "if you believe in god then god exists". It would be too naive for someone who invented a prototype computer and probability theory, wouldn't it? smile It's not supposed to be a proof of god's existence, it's just a pragmatical argument. And just like most of such "arguments" it will only work for you if you see benefits in what it states as benefits. See http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pascal-wager/ for details razz  

Raticiel

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 pm
Raticiel
alteregoivy

Excuse me, but it goes a little differently. Pascal's Wager doesn't say "if you believe in god then god exists". It would be too naive for someone who invented a prototype computer and probability theory, wouldn't it? smile It's not supposed to be a proof of god's existence, it's just a pragmatical argument. And just like most of such "arguments" it will only work for you if you see benefits in what it states as benefits. See http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pascal-wager/ for details razz

I think you need to read through that post again...
IF you believe, AND he exists, THEN...

sounds like BASIC...  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:46 pm
I think most of the anti-atheist arguments are just pragmatical. But I don't know of any relevant argument that could really show that atheism is false. There's no proof of god's existence that wouldn't be deniable. Still, on the other hand, there's also no way to prove god's nonexistence. That's why I remain agnostic (or skeptical sometimes) ninja  

Raticiel

Raticiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:50 pm
My, sorry, my mistake again. sweatdrop didn't notice that little "and" whee
well, still I think it's just pragmatic. Sorry again.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:03 pm
the du,mbest one would have to be when a guy told i was going to go to hell, yet he's the one who beats up his girlfriends and treats people like s**t. I find it ridiculous when these horrible people are incredibly rude and extremely douchys ay that atheists are evil.  

Gun Culture

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:52 pm
Raticiel

Well, the intent is pragmatism, anyway.

The problem is that even from a pragmatic point of view, it's full of holes! The world of religion doesn't exist as a yes/no checkbox like Pascal implies. Any God or gods could be substituted for the Christian god, and nearly all of them are jealous, so you'll end up on the wrong end of the deal no matter who you believe in if you're wrong.

I think the best response I've heard to that argument, though, is this:

"You believe your God is omniscient, right?"
"Yeah."
"So then wouldn't he know if the only reason I believed in and worshiped Him was on the off chance that He existed so that I wouldn't go to Hell? Don't you think He would be a little pissed off about that?"
"Oh, uh...."  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Louis-Auguste Robespierre
Raticiel
...someone who invented a prototype computer and probability theory....

IF you believe, AND he exists, THEN...

sounds like BASIC...

Not surprising that the logic sounds like that, then, considering the source, eh?  

alteregoivy

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 pm
alteregoivy
Raticiel

Well, the intent is pragmatism, anyway.

The problem is that even from a pragmatic point of view, it's full of holes! The world of religion doesn't exist as a yes/no checkbox like Pascal implies. Any God or gods could be substituted for the Christian god, and nearly all of them are jealous, so you'll end up on the wrong end of the deal no matter who you believe in if you're wrong.

I think the best response I've heard to that argument, though, is this:

"You believe your God is omniscient, right?"
"Yeah."
"So then wouldn't he know if the only reason I believed in and worshiped Him was on the off chance that He existed so that I wouldn't go to Hell? Don't you think He would be a little pissed off about that?"
"Oh, uh...."

Well, you've got the point. The same goes with kantian view of god as a regulative idea of our reason which lets us act "good". It is often ctiticized. Still, as for poor old Blaise, I think considering how faithful he was it's just natural that he'd think that way...
I like Wittgenstein's or Nietzche's views on ethics, as they say our morality should never ever be controlled by our image of afterlife and morality is not a transaction with god.
And sorry again for that misuderstanding from before xd  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces