Welcome to Gaia! ::

Amici Noctis

Back to Guilds

A Guild for fans of the World of Darkness 

Tags: White Wolf, World of Darkness, Vampire the Masquerade, Mage the Ascension, New World of Darkness 

Reply Et in Arcadia Ego: A Mage the Ascension RPG
Et in Arcadia Ego Information, Character Profiles

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Berylis
Captain

Nimble Elocutionist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:31 pm
Et in Arcadia Ego
{{Even I am in Arcadia,}} says Death.
A Mage: The Ascension Chronicle

User Image
"Et in Arcadia Ego," by Nicolas Poussin, (1594–1665). []About the Painting[]

General Information

In a nutshell, Mage is a universe set in our world, today. It encompasses the battle of two rival factions for control over the Earth-- The 9 Traditions, and the Technocracy. It is not my goal to fully explain the magic system because players will not start out aware they have magical potential (i.e. that they are one of the Awakened). There will be time for players to learn about the world as we progress through the RP. However, I will give a brief synopsis of the groups we will encounter. At the bottom of the page I have included links for those who want to learn more.

Why I have designated this an "advanced" RPG

While I am not requiring epic post length (see rules list below) this RP requires a significant commitment to excellence. I am not crazy about enforcing perfect grammar but I do expect players to put some real effort into each post to build their characters, interactions with the characters of others, and the RP proper.

The 9 Traditions

Each has its own dominant sphere (think magical specialty). Just starting out, all that is necessary is for you to pick one that appeals to you based on the description I have provided below. If you wish, you can research it further on the internet, but because I will lead characters down the paths, extensive knowledge is not necessary.

1. Verbena (Life) - blood-shamans, healers and primordial witches and warlocks

2. Euthanatos (Entropy) - deliverers of the "good death," to remove evildoers

3. Cult of Ecstasy (Time) - intuitive seers using sensory stimulation, consciousness-expanding techniques, and meditation

4. Order of Hermes (Forces) - sorcerers, alchemists, and mystics drawing from classical occult practices

5. Akashic Brotherhood (Mind) - ascetics, martial artists, and monks

6. Celestial Chorus (Prime) - pious believers in a supreme being that encompasses all Gods ever worshiped

7. Virtual Adepts (Correspondence) - technological adepts capable of informational wizardry

8. Sons of Ether (Matter) - inspiration-oriented scientists dedicated to fringe theories and alternative science

9. Dreamspeakers (Spirit) -shamanistic emissaries to the spirit world

Depending on interest in the RP and how it progresses we will encounter mages from some or all of these Traditions.

For more Information on the Nine Traditions, Please Click Here

The Technocracy

The enemy of the 9 Traditions is the Technocracy. Starting out, the Technocracy will not be available as a choice for players to make characters with, but as the RP progresses I may open it up.

The technocracy believes that the Awakened Tradition Mages are "reality deviants" extremely dangerous to the consensus (agreement of what technology and ideas should and should not exist in the world). They introduce innovations after careful planning for the consequences of the new technology. They are the reason why witchcraft became "superstition" and science rules the world.

Basically, the big idea is that technology works because we all believe it will work. Of course, the devices that the technocracy creates are magical in nature, but the technocrats believe that what they do is done with science. Tradition mages can't use much of their magic on Earth, because the consensus view is that magic can't be done. Unawakened people walking down the street would be astonished and incredulous if they saw a mage cast a fireball out in the middle of nowhere. This shock and awe creates a concept called "Paradox" where the belief that something cannot be done actually prevents it from happening-- reality will snap back from the deviation. At best, unexpected consequences will occur. At the worst, paradox can kill the mage and those around him.

The technocracy believes the traditions are a dangerous threat that needs to be neutralized, bringing us.. the Ascension War.

Here are the 5 conventions that comprise the technocracy.

1. Iteration X, dedicated to studying the Machine ( a sentinent computer)

2. The Progenitors, biologists determined to perfect humanity

3. The New World Order, dedicated to preserving the consensus view of reality and ensuring all branches of the technocracy cooperate

4. The Syndicate, responsible for funding the technocracy, alongside other things

5. The Void Engineers, dedicated to exploration of space and the umbral realms

We will run into major characters from Iteration X, Progenitors, and the New World Order. Depending on how things progress we may meet someone from the Syndicate and the Void Engineers.

For more Information on the Technocracy, Please Click Here

Order of the RP

This RP will follow an already established plotline. There are events set in stone, and there are others more flexible.

Rules

Use your common sense and don't do stupid stuff that would get your characters killed (unless this is your goal, in which case, by all means...). I will give you a warning and a chance to edit, but I'm making no guarantees as to the safety of player characters.

I am not requiring long posts or establishing a minimum post length, but do not treat this like a chatroom. Keep your characters serious and try to empathize with the horror (or wonder) of their ordeal.

Try to engage other players as much as possible, within your characterization.

Goal of the RP

Awesome character development, fun exploring a story and new world.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:06 pm
I'll whip up a sheet for this if we can get some more people in.  

yamiblade

Berylis
Captain

Nimble Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:42 pm
I appreciate your interest, yami, and we will get to this RP, but I'm putting it on hold till my private life settles down. I just won't be able to keep up with the demands of this RP until then.  
Et in Arcadia Ego: A Mage the Ascension RPG

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games