Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Random rant on ethics

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PolityOfQueens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:30 pm
A lot of religious people like to argue that, without religion, there would be no basis for morality and ethics. They talk about how the idea of an afterlife and the actions needed to get there give all of our actions gravity and meaning, more than any atheistic philosophy could.

In response to that, I have this to say:

If people are able to assume that there's an afterlife which passage into requires appropriate conduct in this world, that means they can also justify whatever evils they commit by claiming that those evils will bring them eternal grace. They don't necessarily have to commit to any mainstream faith in order to do this. Religion is too malleable that way.
There's only one reality, however, and in there, our actions have tangible consequences.

TL;DR:
-Religious ethics: malleable.
-Realistic ethics: concrete.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 pm
I find it pathetic that some people need the threat of hell to do good things( or at least keep them from killing and/or raping everything in sight). Most christians honestly believe that without a belief in god, people would be without morality and unaccountable for their actions..... with the exception of all the deaths caused in god's name, of course.  

Kidrahs

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:02 am
And that's why I always wanted to skip ethics class xd blabbering about something that rests only within our sweet little heads. I agree with G. E. Moore when it comes to metaethics, and if it comes to morality... I trust my human nature. I'd never kill an animal. (only mayflies... sometimes I forget myself and slap them)

It's good when one can see for him/herself what's good and what's bad. Some people can't, so they need religion. Some people can't and they act without any thinking.

My favourite problem in ethics is double morality. Many self-claimed religious people are exemplifications of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:37 am
And human nature says what about morality?  

G4NTZ

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:52 am
G4NTZ
I'm not sure. Ask yourself, you hold your nature 3nodding
'm not a relativist, I'm not a relativist, I'm not aaargh.... _-_ No matter how hard I try, I'm still a relativist.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:52 am
G4NTZ

Maybe you don't, but I've always felt that most people have a good nature. Usually, it seems to me, it's desperation or being taught bad lessons from others that causes people to do evil things to each other.  

alteregoivy

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:23 am
alteregoivy
G4NTZ

Maybe you don't, but I've always felt that most people have a good nature. Usually, it seems to me, it's desperation or being taught bad lessons from others that causes people to do evil things to each other.
I have to agree. People are naturally good, but not in ethical sense. It's more like "good, because not evil". But some may disagree saying that people are naturally egoistic (like Hobbes) (it doesn't mean evil tough). Some say that our nature is rotten wink  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games