Welcome to Gaia! ::

The SpanGlish Guild

Back to Guilds

Aprende Ingles. --//-- Learn spanish!! FIRST BILINGUAL GUILD!!!!!! 

Tags: Español, Ingles, Contests, Games, Spanish 

Reply School//Escuela
Lisp / Ceceo

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HauntedCris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:26 am
I have a doubt, why people say that in Spain we speak with a lisp? What do you mean? I understand lisp as "ceceo", and in Spain only speak with a lisp in some regions of the south.

--

Tengo una duda, por qué la gente dice que en España hablamos con "lisp"? A qué os referís? Yo entiendo "lisp" como ceceo, y en España sólo cecean en algunas regiones del sur.

--

Another doubt, why can't I see the last post of near every topic? I don't understand xd

--

Otra duda, por qué no puedo ver el último post de casi cada tema? No lo entiendo xd  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:56 am
letter z pronunciation in more strong than s pronunciation.
In some regions of the south of Spain, it is very used.

When you write is not any problem to pronunciate stronger os lower but talking is easy to mistake words.

Take one example, you have caza (hunt) you should pronunciate strong...cos if you make lisp (low pronunciation of z) you say casa (house) and meaning is quite different. Same with many other words mozo (young boy) become in moso (no meaning), pozo (well, pit) become in poso (dust) etc etc.

Making "ceceo" is very comun in some regions, and even funny to hear once you get used, means...
1. (Ling) to pronounce the Spanish (/s/ ) as (Θ)

2. (as a defect) to lisp

Some ppl is difficult to pronunce z or double rr too, over all when we are baby childs, it cost a bit to take the right .

In Centro America and south America, z pronunciation is not as as strong as in Spain , is very comun the "ceceo" much more than just in a region of south Spain. And at the same time it is much more normal for Usa ppl hearing.  

Mitzar

9,750 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

HauntedCris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 pm
All I wanted to know is if the correct traduction for "lisp" is "ceceo", because I read too much people say that in Spain we speak with a lisp, so, or they're wrong, cos they only "cecean" in some areas of Andalucía (like Cádiz or Málaga) or I'm not understanding it right and they mean another thing.

(Sorry for my English xd )  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:47 pm
HauntedCris
All I wanted to know is if the correct traduction for "lisp" is "ceceo", because I read too much people say that in Spain we speak with a lisp, so, or they're wrong, cos they only "cecean" in some areas of Andalucía (like Cádiz or Málaga) or I'm not understanding it right and they mean another thing.

(Sorry for my English xd )

yes, yes it is.
Though there are other variations of lisps  

Tiara_Estella
Crew

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Patient in...

okay in Spain, my teacher said, that you say zumo as thumo, and it's just that when compared with Latin America, us none native speakers have a hard time understanding you, and I'm sure that lisp is ceceo, I'll have to ask my teacher on Tuesday.

...meiner Pyschiatrie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:40 am
Mrithyu

Patient in...

okay in Spain, my teacher said, that you say zumo as thumo, and it's just that when compared with Latin America, us none native speakers have a hard time understanding you, and I'm sure that lisp is ceceo, I'll have to ask my teacher on Tuesday.

...meiner Pyschiatrie

Yes, we say zumo as thumo, but that is not lisp, it's pronounce it right (neuter Spanish) xd Lisp or "ceceo" is when people pronounce "s" like a "th" in English "think" (you can hear it only in Cádiz and Málaga)
Latin American people and people from Southern Spain "sesean" (I think that "sesear" doesn't have a traduction in English), they pronounce "c/z" in Spanish like a "s", it's a different accent, but this doesn't mean that the rest of Spanish speak with a lisp.  

HauntedCris

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:16 pm
HauntedCris
Mrithyu

Patient in...

...meiner Pyschiatrie

Yes, we say zumo as thumo, but that is not lisp, it's pronounce it right (neuter Spanish) xd Lisp or "ceceo" is when people pronounce "s" like a "th" in English "think" (you can hear it only in Cádiz and Málaga)
Latin American people and people from Southern Spain "sesean" (I think that "sesear" doesn't have a traduction in English), they pronounce "c/z" in Spanish like a "s", it's a different accent, but this doesn't mean that the rest of Spanish speak with a lisp.

Patient in...

yea you don't have a lisp, but compared to Latin America it is harder to understand Spanish people more, it's more like Latin America just didn't get the way you started to say things because they already spoke their own, kind of like the US and Great Britain, the English in both countries is completely different, but yet the US came from GB so shouldn't they speak the same English? But they don't because American English went one direction while British English went another

...meiner Pyschiatrie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:25 pm
i don.t get it????  

xXx ii_bbycakes xXx

Randalex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:17 pm
Quote:
yea you don't have a lisp, but compared to Latin America it is harder to understand Spanish people more, it's more like Latin America just didn't get the way you started to say things because they already spoke their own, kind of like the US and Great Britain, the English in both countries is completely different, but yet the US came from GB so shouldn't they speak the same English? But they don't because American English went one direction while British English went another

US and Australy...have a diferent languaje too. English is different depending the land. With Spanish is the same...in my country (Uruguay- Latin America) people pronunciate casa and caza equal.
We dont difference one of other in pronunciation, but in writting yes.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 am
Mrithyu
HauntedCris
Mrithyu

Patient in...

...meiner Pyschiatrie

Patient in...

...meiner Pyschiatrie

More like many directions 'cuz even American English varies from region to region.  

nyopchu

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:41 pm
Mrs. Athrun Zala
Mrithyu
HauntedCris
Mrithyu

Patient in...

...meiner Pyschiatrie

Patient in...

...meiner Pyschiatrie

More like many directions 'cuz even American English varies from region to region.

Patient in...

well yes, but I was more directly talking about the way they spell words differently like color=colour offense=offence fiber=fibre

...meiner Pyschiatrie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:43 pm
Randalex
Quote:

US and Australy...have a diferent languaje too. English is different depending the land. With Spanish is the same...in my country (Uruguay- Latin America) people pronunciate casa and caza equal.
We dont difference one of other in pronunciation, but in writting yes.

Patient in...

well that's not so bad...in English we have there, their, and they're all said the same, and blue and blew, knight and night, know and no, etc. we have a lot of words that are pronounced the same...

...meiner Pyschiatrie

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100

FearlessDictator

7,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:40 pm
It's become frustrating with teaching English to my family because when I say 'z', solo la letra, they pronounce it as 'c'.
Muy frustrando, porque cuando yo quiero hablar de un bus, yo digo z2 y pronunciarlo como 'zay', pero mi familia pronunciarlo como 'say' >.No puedo pronunciarlo como un 'say'... Me sentiria mal ha ha ha!  
School//Escuela

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games