Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why does this happen?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:19 pm
I'm atheist, proud, logical, but my best friend is religious (not die-hard religious, he just believes in god and Jesus). While discussing my beliefs with him, he warned me NEVER to bring it up in front of his dad, because if I did, I would probably never see or hear from him ever again.
Something like this REALLY pisses me off that someone so "understanding" and "compassionate" because of "the lord" can actually be so closed-minded about anything else. I understand it's basically what religion is about (the idea that "If you don't believe in our god, we'll slaughter you and everyone like you"), it's just never something I thought I would have to deal with.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:24 pm
Ignorance and bigotry. His dad was [probably] taught that Atheists [and other no-christians/non(insert denomination here)] were terrible people that he didn't want his kids to be around.  

Requiem of the Exodus

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:42 pm
This came up when I was discussing something with my religious best friend. We were discussing a fantasy story of mine and I was looking for flaws for my species and she suggested they could be like those Christians who are hypocritical and arrogant about their beliefs. We talked about how those people act like they're so great for being Christian, yet don't even follow the beliefs they were taught. They were taught things like love thy neighbor, but somehow twist it into love thy neighbor unless thy neighbor is a sinner.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 pm
Haven't had to deal with that yet, thankfully. mrgreen There's something about christians that stops me from totally enjoying their company, so I don't have any as personal friends.  

G4NTZ

Raticiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:13 am
I used to have some issues with my best friend who is actually more like a sister to me - and a believer.
But the fact I find hard to believe many things she trusts in - it never affected our relationship. Stuff like religion is not important when it comes to friendship at all. 4laugh
And I know maaaany christian people and as long as they're good people - why should I care? If they want to "help me" with their preachings I just let them. Who cares? xd  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:28 pm
Christian are ******** crazy when it comes to belief. I had a kid a couple of days ago saying KISS, the band, was evil for what it stood for.
( Knights in Satan's Service. ) I call bullshit on that.
To imagine all this started from the lies spread by hardcore believers long ago. Sickens me to the fullest.
They don't even follow their own religion correctly.

Examples: Harassing an Atheist and making fun of their ideas yet saying they are trying to save them.
1# That is just wrong in SOOOO many ways.
2# The Bible states one can't try and force their religion onto another.

An Atheist tries to debate back by saying it is a sin, in bible terms, to try and pin their religion on another. The others protest back saying an Atheist shouldn't even be using Bible terms if he doesn't believe.
1# What is he going to debate at you with then? A napkin?
2# That is just morally wrong to try and exclude someone because of what they believe.
3# A bunch more BS I bet could be found.

One of them was Hindu while the rest was Christian. The Atheist states why he was treated in such a harsh way while the Hindu was not.
In reply, the Christians state that the Hindu atleast believes in a god.
1# No comment.......

( The above examples are real life experiences. )
This goes to show how close-minded people can be.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items