Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Movie On Darwin "Too Controversial" For America Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whose fault?
  The damn bible thumpers, of course!!!
  The theists who control the media.
  Distributers for being enablers to religious terrorists.
  America for being stupid!
  Us for not caring enough about history.
  Me for sleeping with your momma.
View Results

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:57 am
It's been in the news for a few days now. I'm surprised no one has made a thread about it yet, so...

Now, I've heard a couple of arguments for this. One being that this is a sign that the religious have too great an influence in the media. Another being that historical films aren't very profitable, so why spend money trying to promote a film that won't draw a big crowed and get protested.

I find it to be an oddity. Just about a year ago, Religulous hit theaters, and even though it only made about 13 million, it only cost about 2 to make. That's a 600% return! The Dark Knight, that cost a quarter of a billion, only made a billion, a 400% return. Even though the sums differ greatly, from a percentage standpoint, Religulous was the better investment.

If a movie about Atheism can make 6 times what it cost, why can't a movie about Darwin do the same? Maybe because Bill was playing at the humor bone while this film will come off as a long winded documentary. As much as it bothers me that America would rather drop tons of money on comic book characters than historical geniuses, I can't really point fingers. As long as I can get it on DVD, I won't rage. But if it turns into an all out ban, I may have to TP a church. xd

[FYI, the moment I typed that, my power went out! Thank you FireFox for saving what I typed. *Looks up with skepticism.*]

So what do you all think? Is a movie about evolution more threatening than a comedy about Atheism? Is this all the Theists fault, or is it our fault as well for showing little interest in our own history?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:35 pm
It's the fault of all things, the media for promoting things that they think is popular and not what's right, the people of the U.S. for being like sheep and not thinking for themselves and believing what the media sells them, and the theist who are so concerned about keeping their fantasy world safe that they protest anything that challenges their believes.  

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:19 pm
I was surprised to read that a movie website would be so forward and opinionated to call Darwin a (and I quote) "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder".

Then I went to the website and saw it was a Christian one. I was like, "Well, that explains it."

Edit: You think they would have the DVD on Amazon?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:37 pm
I think it's primarily the fault of the distributors for being cowardly. They and the theaters are so afraid of the vocal religious that they take a pass on what looks to be a very good film. (It's got Jennifer Connelly in it, so it must be good. smile )

As to this:
Dathu
Now, I've heard a couple of arguments for this. One being that this is a sign that the religious have too great an influence in media.

It reminds me of a Richard Dawkins talk I watched recently in which he was talking about George Bush's statements about atheists not being really American or patriotic or what have you, and his absolute refusal afterward to even temper the statements. Dawkins basically equated that with the religious influence in the U.S.: that Bush didn't feel the need to retract the statements because he knew they wouldn't really hurt him in politics.  

Erlea

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 pm
stare Meh, Bush. An insult from an a*****e is a compliment.

Anyway, Jennifer Connelly is friggin' HOT!
heart  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:34 am
Dathu
stare Meh, Bush. An insult from an a*****e is a compliment. heart

I'm signing under this biggrin

And I'm crying over today's media's intellectual ignorance... crying *feeling sorry for Darwin*  

Raticiel

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 am
"...according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution."

WTF? Seriously? Now that's just sad.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:00 pm
alteregoivy
"...according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution."

WTF? Seriously? Now that's just sad.

After watching that clip from "The View," I'd hate to see the percentage of Americans who know the world is round. stressed  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:36 am
This topic makes me want to mention something...
We have a catholic priest as a professor on our university, he teaches medieval philosophy and philosophy of nature. His comments about the stuff he teaches:

- medieval philosophy - "Oh it's soooo boring... You know, they made me do this because I'm a priest... jeeez..."
- philosophy of nature - "Oh it's so exciting! Just look at these comets! They look like hugging each other, don't you think?". And whenever someone asks him about darvinism... "Yes. I do believe in theory of evolution. It doesn't mean I can't believe in words of bible. I'm actually searching for the way to let both ways of thinking link together. As a philosopher of science I have to."

(not to mention is wearing sexy leather clothes and rides such a cool motorcycle... whee heart )  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:47 am
What can we say? The religious are just pussies and the only reason they don't want it showing is because they are intolerant, controlling, and have no form a defense other than "the Bible said so" and "I wasn't a monkey"  

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:40 pm
Raticiel
We have a catholic priest as a professor on our university, he teaches medieval philosophy and philosophy of nature. His comments about the stuff he teaches:

- medieval philosophy - "Oh it's soooo boring... You know, they made me do this because I'm a priest... jeeez..."
- philosophy of nature - "Oh it's so exciting! Just look at these comets! They look like hugging each other, don't you think?". And whenever someone asks him about darvinism... "Yes. I do believe in theory of evolution. It doesn't mean I can't believe in words of bible. I'm actually searching for the way to let both ways of thinking link together. As a philosopher of science I have to."

(not to mention is wearing sexy leather clothes and rides such a cool motorcycle... whee heart )

User ImageLooks someone's got a teacher fetish, and a Theist to boot! "You got Theist fever."  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 pm
I brought this article to my Comp class and this girl I worked with actually liked it smile  

Indie_lullaby

Tipsy Gawker

6,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 am
Dathu
Raticiel

User ImageLooks someone's got a teacher fetish, and a Theist to boot! "You got Theist fever."

Man, it's the sexiest priest I've ever met heart And he's not so... you know, like a priest wink
Yes I have a teacher fetish. Most of my teachers are just so sweet when they get lost in their infinite labyrinths of thoughts... Even then they keep talking. Charming.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:39 am
I must agree with the producer of the movie: It's 2009. Should this be happening? No.
What van we do, petition or something?

AS well...
39% of America is a lot of people. Is the other 61% all religious?  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 pm
KuroFur
I must agree with the producer of the movie: It's 2009. Should this be happening? No.
What van we do, petition or something?

AS well...
39% of America is a lot of people. Is the other 61% all religious?

I personally don't believe in statistics. For example 81% of polish people are declared catholics. But it's not so visible when you see how many of them actually go to church. They often answer "catholic" because they were raised in that faith and also many people don't believe it's anonymous rofl  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff