Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Death Penalty

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Death Penalty
  Yes
  No
View Results

Drarksupersaiyan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:55 am
Do you think the death penalty is okay for us to have?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:25 am
With grave reservations, I support it. The importance society places on a law, and the infraction thereof, and the value of the protections the law accords, can only be reflected in the sentence meted out. We deem assaults as more egregious violations against society than petty thefts, and in part our sentencing paradigms reinforce this; we punish assaults more stiffly than petty thefts. Some laws are so important, and the infractions thereof so intolerable to society, that the only true way to administer justice in the crime is to execute the offender. That said, we have gone too far in eroding the safeguards in place to make sure we do not execute an innocent person. We need more safeguards, more room to examine evidence on appeal, and better representation for poor offenders. I would sooner see us have the option to execute and not use it than execute an innocent offender.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:34 am
People can change, however some do not. I'm not for the death penalty except in some very very very VERY (emphasis on the very) few cases where I see someone has done something terribly horrible. Example, a woman tortures a 17year old for two months until she dies, death penalty. A man commits one murder, he has time to change.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 am
I would have to say I support the death penalty. We have come a long way with proving people innocent or guilty. If they have enough evidence to prove they are guilty of let's say murder. Why would we save their life when they do not care about the person they murdered.  

Pumona

Drarksupersaiyan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:16 pm
Lord Bitememan
With grave reservations, I support it. The importance society places on a law, and the infraction thereof, and the value of the protections the law accords, can only be reflected in the sentence meted out. We deem assaults as more egregious violations against society than petty thefts, and in part our sentencing paradigms reinforce this; we punish assaults more stiffly than petty thefts. Some laws are so important, and the infractions thereof so intolerable to society, that the only true way to administer justice in the crime is to execute the offender. That said, we have gone too far in eroding the safeguards in place to make sure we do not execute an innocent person. We need more safeguards, more room to examine evidence on appeal, and better representation for poor offenders. I would sooner see us have the option to execute and not use it than execute an innocent offender.

I'm glad we can finally agree with something.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:04 am
I would have to say that I'm for the death penalty for certain murders. Homicide, crime of passion do not call for the death penalty, since those are cases where the person went nuts and may not happen again. However, for serial killers, child molestors (the ones that kill the child when they're done) and crime lords.
People keep saying "who are we to judge?"- well, I don't believe it's the government's job to be philosophical, its their job to protect our rights, and I believe that people who live within the law have a right to live. And when it comes to rights, I believe that once you take someone's right to live, you've just revoked your own rights.  

Latopazora

Pumona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:12 am
Latopazora
I would have to say that I'm for the death penalty for certain murders. Homicide, crime of passion do not call for the death penalty, since those are cases where the person went nuts and may not happen again. However, for serial killers, child molestors (the ones that kill the child when they're done) and crime lords.
People keep saying "who are we to judge?"- well, I don't believe it's the government's job to be philosophical, its their job to protect our rights, and I believe that people who live within the law have a right to live. And when it comes to rights, I believe that once you take someone's right to live, you've just revoked your own rights.

That last sentence was perfect.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:53 pm
Yes yes yes yes yes. We should absolutely have it and we should indefinetly use it. I think this very strongly. I find it a necessary part of the United States form of punishment (if that's how it should be described. Besides, if, for example, someone decides to go over to someone else and stab them till they die they need to be punished to the extreme. If the death penalty were nonexistent the murderer would just spend the rest of his life in jail (unless your O.J.). Personally, I would rather die then spend the rest of my life being watched and my schedule being regulated. Sorry for the lack of information or background, but all I have on this topic is my opinion.  

Enoine

goodshot911SNK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:04 pm
Enoine
Yes yes yes yes yes. We should absolutely have it and we should indefinetly use it. I think this very strongly. I find it a necessary part of the United States form of punishment (if that's how it should be described. Besides, if, for example, someone decides to go over to someone else and stab them till they die they need to be punished to the extreme. If the death penalty were nonexistent the murderer would just spend the rest of his life in jail (unless your O.J.). Personally, I would rather die then spend the rest of my life being watched and my schedule being regulated. Sorry for the lack of information or background, but all I have on this topic is my opinion.

you know I do feel the same strong erg to kill those who chose to murder the innocent but for maybe slightly different reasons number one I don't want to pay for you to watch TV and be feed three warm meals a day and have a bed and toilet paper those things are for us (regular people)to have not murderers and child molesters so really if you do a haynes crime we kill you if you break a minor law you get put in a cage and you have to piss yourself for the remainder of your time at this day and age we do not convict innocent people for serous offences so I feel yeah kill them  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games