Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Marijuana? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Legalize it?
  Yes
  No
View Results

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:33 pm
Should it be legalized? I personally believe so since the only reason it was outlawed was because William Randolph Hearst didn't want other newspapers printing on cheap hash paper and pushed around his money to get it outlawed. Because of crossing different types of cannabis over the years a version that's a lot less harmless has been made and marijuana has been known to have great medicinal purposes. Not only does it help glaucoma, but it also gets cancer patients to start eating again (since loss of appetite is common with cancers and treatment). Marijuana is also a LOT less harmfull than alcohol since being high is a lot shorter than being drunk. Marijuana can also reduce stress and help with depression.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:59 pm
I would explain why it should be legal but I feel lazy.
I will just say this.
Look at a ciggerate and a blunt.
If you notice, a blunt is just Cannibus in wrapped paper.
A ciggerate is tobbaco with gillions of other chemicals in paper and a filter.
A filter? Oh right, I forgot. A ciggerate needs a filter because of all the harmful chemicals inside of it. Ever heard of someone saying don't smoke the wrong side of a cig? Mostly because you WILL get messed up.
Weed doesn't need a filter.
Do the math.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:58 pm
It should be legalized...it eventually will...the government just needed enough time to figure out how they will make money off of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 am
I think it should be legalized. It will help stimulate this broken economy, it's less harmful than cigarettes, it doesn't cause as much harm as alcohol, plus prohibiting it is causing more crime too. So... why not?  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:28 pm
I think that at the very least it should be decriminalized.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:39 pm
Definitely! You can easily make the case that it's less harmful than both cigarettes and alcohol.
If marijuana was legalized, it could be regulated by the FDA.
It would get rid of a lot of crime.

Not to mention not having to waste time on enforcing prohibition laws.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Raticiel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:18 pm
Of course it should be legalized!! biggrin
I mentioned why in some other topics before, and I'd just like to add one more reason: if it's legelized it's easier to control who is using it and it there will be smaller risk for children to use it. I've got enough of seeing kids using such stuff and they tend to use it just because it's forbidden so much and dealers don't care who is their customer. Also a friend of mine is living in Holland now for 2 years and she confirmed that it's working fine there, and I believe her more than media.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 pm
you guys have already put up all the good responses, and i don't mean to be annoying but what would you classify as legalized could you do it in public or just inside your home? and (most people would say yes) should it stay as a classification of under the influence if you get pulled over while driving.  

Dark Lord Erebus

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Raticiel
I mentioned why in some other topics before, and I'd just like to add one more reason: if it's legelized it's easier to control who is using it and it there will be smaller risk for children to use it. I've got enough of seeing kids using such stuff and they tend to use it just because it's forbidden so much and dealers don't care who is their customer. Also a friend of mine is living in Holland now for 2 years and she confirmed that it's working fine there, and I believe her more than media.
I think America would have more of a problem with it than countries where it's legal just because it's the American lifestyle to do everything in excess.
Especially right after they legalize it.
Just like how if they decided to lower the drinking age back down to 18 (which I'm also for) a bunch of 18-20-year-olds would go out binge drinking.
And then orginizations like MADD would point at this disgusting display of overindulgence and say "See? See?! We told you it was bad!"

Of course, over-use happens with or without prohibition.
And people are capable of being responsible about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Dark Lord Erebus
you guys have already put up all the good responses, and i don't mean to be annoying but what would you classify as legalized could you do it in public or just inside your home? and (most people would say yes) should it stay as a classification of under the influence if you get pulled over while driving.
I'd say in the home and in certain places specifically for marijuana, just like hookah bars are now.
Haha, how hilarious would it be though if you could smoke pot in a restaurant and not cigarettes?

And yes, I think it should still be illegal to drive under the influence.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Raticiel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:13 pm
Dark Lord Erebus
I think it should be the same like with alcohol. Driving with Miss Mary is no good at all. And about public using, it depends: for example mass parties, concerts - I think it should be ok. If I can have a drink on a concert than I should also be able to do this. But some restrictions are needed too.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:24 pm
brainnsoup
Raticiel
I think America would have more of a problem with it than countries where it's legal just because it's the American lifestyle to do everything in excess.
Especially right after they legalize it.
Just like how if they decided to lower the drinking age back down to 18 (which I'm also for) a bunch of 18-20-year-olds would go out binge drinking.
And then orginizations like MADD would point at this disgusting display of overindulgence and say "See? See?! We told you it was bad!"

Of course, over-use happens with or without prohibition.
And people are capable of being responsible about it.
You're right, there is always the risk of overusing it. I hope if they ever legalize it in my country the first "boom" on marijuana will vanish sooner or later... I just hope it can help controlling the age of users.

The other problem is treatment. I think in order to let legalization go smoothly there must be a privatized health care. I can already see the problem with alcohol in my country. People addicted to alcohol are treated for free and it costs health care a lot, which brings more and more problems to people who aren't responsible for their own sickness. If they could know that they'll have to pay with their own money for their own addictions they wouldn't be acting so freely about it.  

Raticiel

Revolutionary Justice

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 pm
Yes I believe it should. Am I the only one though that ever smoked weed and afterward thought it was the biggest waste of money in the world? All I did was sit there and laugh at the tv, eat all my food, and got tired and passed out. For someone who's relatively poor that costs a lot of money to eat that much food.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:04 am
how much do you think north american and european governments would charge for a pack of 5 joints? or would it be sold by weight values? Think it'd vary from place to place?  

G4NTZ

imderanged

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:34 am
YES. as someone who would benefit from medical marijuana ---I have fibromyalgia and chronic pancreatits---- legalization or at the very least a medical exception cannot come soon enough!

Honestly, it's disgusting to either make someone like me into a "criminal" or leave me no other choice than to use Opiates or some other painmed that is potentially much more damaging to my body in the long run than weed is! a few puffs work better for me than Vicodin to kill the pain, and I can even SLEEP through the night. It's cruel to deny suffering people relief because of some misguided concept of some "war on drugs".  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff