Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Wtf is with the cross?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:04 am
You would think that they wouldnt be worshiping the device used to kill there savior...worshipe a carpenter you know or worship your next door neighbor jesus.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:45 am
Oh I never looked at it that way. Maybe it's some kind of metaphor... For example it could mean that Jesus was a human and humans kill him. xd  

Raticiel

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 am
I've always thought that was kind of weird but I think I have the right idea now.

Maybe it's just that they use it as a symbol for the fact that he died for their sins? The thing most symbolizing hisn death would be the thing killing him, would it not? So actually it's quite appropriate.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:45 am
The cross didn't kill Jesus, the people did.
I think it's a symbol of his sacrifice.

It's a pretty powerful symbol for the religion in my opinion.
"Oh, you don't want to wear your cross necklace today? No, that's cool. That's cool...
It's just that like, you know that I was crucified on that for all of mankind's sins, right?
But that's cool..."
Faith...

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 pm
They use the cross as a symbol to show how God " sacrificed his son for their sins " somehow.
Sort of like a coffin.
So, pretty much, the worship the death of someone yet blame the Jews.
Nice going Christianity, yet again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:19 am
I thought it wasn't the cross itself originally. In the more "orthodox" sects of Christianity, you don't see just a cross, you see images of Jesus actually nailed to the cross. I think at some point someone said, "Okay, this is just a tad disturbing, maybe we shouldn't show Jesus in the act of dying like this. How about we just show the cross itself?"

Though that's just a guess. Even as a Christian, I didn't like those images of Jesus actually nailed to the cross. Plus, I never agreed that Jesus was a white guy with long brown hair and stuff. "It is a shame unto a man to have long hair" for starters.  

alteregoivy

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:39 am
alteregoivy
I thought it wasn't the cross itself originally. In the more "orthodox" sects of Christianity, you don't see just a cross, you see images of Jesus actually nailed to the cross. I think at some point someone said, "Okay, this is just a tad disturbing, maybe we shouldn't show Jesus in the act of dying like this. How about we just show the cross itself?"

Though that's just a guess. Even as a Christian, I didn't like those images of Jesus actually nailed to the cross. Plus, I never agreed that Jesus was a white guy with long brown hair and stuff. "It is a shame unto a man to have long hair" for starters.
Aww, and I for example always loved Jesus' image biggrin my friend and I always found him pretty handsome wink maybe it's a part of christian propaganda?

Beside that I was wondering about the shape of the cross and how it may affect human perception. Is it an attractive symbol? My sis told me it's because it looks like our eyes are focusing on the center of it... Odd, eh? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:44 am
Raticiel
alteregoivy

Aww, and I for example always loved Jesus' image biggrin my friend and I always found him pretty handsome wink maybe it's a part of christian propaganda?

Beside that I was wondering about the shape of the cross and how it may affect human perception. Is it an attractive symbol? My sis told me it's because it looks like our eyes are focusing on the center of it... Odd, eh? sweatdrop
Haha, that definitely reminded me of this.

But I think that it's probably because Jesus has to be perfect.
Nobody would believe that the son of God is a fatty with bad bone structure...

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:28 pm
brainnsoup
Raticiel
alteregoivy

Haha, that definitely reminded me of this.

But I think that it's probably because Jesus has to be perfect.
Nobody would believe that the son of God is a fatty with bad bone structure...
hahah, great rofl
But there's another thing that makes me wonder: the kanons of human beauty were also changing over time. So why does Jesus always look generally the same?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:32 pm
Well actually I believe the cross was used in older religions as a symbol for the equinox and the Christians took the symbol and made it their own.

check this three part video that explains more of what I mean.
part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxH3kKswoLg
part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmVkCVqUWU
part3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1YS0pPzxKA  

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The Main Discussion Place