Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Do your parents hate your atheistic views on life? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do your parents think about your beliefs?
Don't care
56%
 56%  [ 14 ]
Hate you
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Hate your belief
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

Lucifer FonRonsenberg

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 pm
I'm just curious about this. How many of your parents hate the fact that you are an atheist? Vote in the poll and tell me your stories... surprised

My mom loves me but she can't stand me not believing in her imaginary friend.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 pm
I think my dad resents it even though he's agnostic himself and is afraid to admit that he is a heathen.
And my mom... I don't know, she thinks it's stupid but she tries not to judge.
Like every time she's asked me about it and I've confidently confirmed that I am an atheist she gives me this sarcastic smirk and says "No your not." or "You believe in God."
I think they both think I'm going through a phase.

But they can believe whatever they want to believe.
I really don't care one way or another.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:19 pm
My dad is live and let live, though he did make a comment once: "Maybe I should have taken you to church more." Though, I think that was in regards to my social anxiety and making friends. I haven't told my mom, but I think she would be very confused and possibly angry.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 pm
well my dad i could care less but my mom is also an atheist she says all the church does it brainwash you and you should believe what you want but she says its all crap and so do i infact i do go to this church but only becuz my friends are there and no one really takes it seriously infact they smoke or do drugs right outside the doors so yeah xD but its still a real church and i usually sit there when they are talking about jesus crap so yeah infact most of the time when they say jesus loves you and he just wants to make you happy i feel like i want to barf or just get so mad for some odd reason xD  

SpeciesxConfused

Raticiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 pm
Well, of course I know my parents would like me to go to church happily and become married and live an overall catholic life but... They know my views quite good and they don't really bother. During my "teenage rebellion" times I was a very believing person so I was arguing with them over many different things. Today I still even accompany them in church, I don't really care... Why should I make fuss over that? I know there will be problems when I'll tell them I don't want to get married, but maybe they'll understand? I think if you're good friends with your parents your beliefs aren't really that important. They love me and support me, that's what counts. It makes me very sad that many families have problems because of different beliefs.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:26 am
All of my immediate family are atheists. They just didn't tell me this until I became an atheist through my own beliefs =D  

Ayumila

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:29 am
When I was a Christian, my parents and sib rather disliked my beliefs, lol. My brother is really hardcore Atheist, my dad is the kinder, gentler sort of Atheist, and my mom prefers not to think on religion too much at all, one way or the other.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:35 am
My parents don't know and I'd rather not tell them until I have my own place.
Not exactly open-minded when it comes to these things.  

DracosPrinny

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:44 am
Strangely, with the family I have which is laid-back Christians and grandma is kinda loopy with her beliefs, they don't care. So I'm pretty accepted her for my non-belief. Grandma just says I have mine, you have yours.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:31 am
My dad thinks I'm going to heaven anyway, so I don't think he cares.

My mom is an atheist.  

Prince Rilian

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:00 am
They don't wanna hear about it :l

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:40 pm
Well my mom knows and she's like "oh I hate what you have become" and I just say "Meh that's nice, could you kindly ******** off?"

I'm not sure if she told my dad or not, but my dad's whole family is very non-confrontational so they would just sweep it under the rug.  

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:38 pm
My mom doesn't know I don't think?
I dunno. We don't talk about that sorta stuff really and she's not religious but she does strongly believe God exists. My dad kinda thinks I'm going through some sort of phase. None of them hate me though.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:13 pm
Possibly but probably not. We rarely actually mention our beliefs in that stuff.

My dad told me to get out of the house, when I first told him, but a few months later I found out that he thinks threatening like that is a way to keep your kids under control sweatdrop Plus I don't think he actually remembers, anyway. After mentioning it to my grandaunt, a Catholic nun, (nice move! D< ) I think he may have just thought I was re-religious'd. Haven't talked about it since.

My mum believes in the existence of some sort of god, but not a particular religion. It's good talking to her about religion and stuff, because it stays decent. Again, though, we rarely mention it.  

xxBluebird

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:04 pm
Since I haven't told them yet and don't plan to, they've just guessed at it.

Ever since they've started guessing though, they've hated me a bit more...

I'm not bothered though, I really rather just be through with them.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff