Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
What are the basic need to knows of graphic design?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sumomo4life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:07 am
I'm thinking about majoring in graphic design but i'm still kinda clueless about all of the need to know things. What to I need to know about graphic design before deciding if I want to major in it or not?

I love to make sigs, banners, and wishlists
I like playing around with artsie stuff but is it enough?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:31 pm
Sigs, banners and the like are a good start to give you an idea on small scale design, but that is not what Graphic Design is entirely. In Graphic Design, you have to understand that it may be nice or cool to have all the fancy effects in a design, but it is often times unnecessary, and simple graphics are enough to make a design successful. It's like the saying goes, Keep It Simple.

Graphic Design is a very broad subject so it can take on many different forms. Graphic Design can and may expand into subject areas such as advertising, newsletters, billboards, posters, print media, corporate identity, web design, interactive design, prototype design, freelance, etc. to name a few.

It's kinda one of those things where you have to experience it for yourself to see if you really enjoy it. There really isn't anything that you need to know. Most of the concepts and theories they will teach you anyway. Things like Color Theory, or Typography, or organizing objects in space. Like I said, it takes on many different forms and styles, you just never know what may be out there. If you enjoy drawing, making art and designs, and have an interest in learning more about it, I say go for it. Do a little bit of research and see what you like. Even if you don't like to draw, or if you're not good at it, but still have an interest in design, go for it anyway. I guarantee that you'll have fun with it.  

Keiravarutri

lemonie tigre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:54 pm
I would say that to be able to major in graphic design and to be successful at it, the bare minimum would be the ability to look at things through an artist's perspective and the abilty to sit at a computer for long periods of time.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:55 pm
Perhaps one of the best ways to get a really good idea about it would be to job shadow a graphic designer. See if you can find a design company somewhere near you, or even just check at any corporate building to see if they have one on staff (many will). Then ask about setting up a job shadow with that person. You might want to bring along a notebook and pencil.

If you can, do job shadows at multiple places. Different companies, and different types of companies, have different atmospheres and graphic designer duties will differ slightly. If you like what you see/hear, then graphic design may be the career for you. smile  

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

Sumomo4life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 am
Thank you all you've been really helpful!  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games