Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A Basic Understanding of Atheism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's the difference between Santa and Jesus?
  At least Santa doesn't punish me forever
  Jesus wears sandals
  Santa's beard is longer (debatable)
  There's better evidence for Santa. How did my presents get under the tree then huh?
View Results

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:29 pm
Hey, so I would like with you guys, fellow atheists, this playlist I compiled that I think gives a decent understanding of what an atheist is, why someone would become an atheist and why atheists reject theism. It also clears up some misconceptions about atheism. I purposely put it in the order that it is because I think it works best that way. Note: The videos altogether make up about 30 minutes so it can be a bit time-consuming. This is more for the people who reeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't have that much time on their hands. I'm not expecting many people to actually watch the playlist; so I'll bring up a topic for discussion...

What do you think is the best way to convince a religious person that atheism rational? What do you think is the best way to make them at least somewhat understand your reasoning?

Well, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C0E2A0286377BC2A  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:08 pm
it says I can't watch it because it's private  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:11 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
it says I can't watch it because it's private

Same. If you don't know how to mark it public or whatever, maybe you can edit the original post and add the separate links to the videos in your playlist?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 pm
Yep, it's still private.
So instead I watched this...

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:49 am
I've found that for theists, it isn't a question of logic or rationality, it's a question of emotion. Your job is actually to convince them that their lives won't suffer from an emotional standpoint if they don't cling to theism.

The best way to talk to someone about atheism is, honestly, listen openly to why theists believe what they believe. Get to the heart of what really motivates them, and keep your cool in your response. If you want to have any chance and presenting the logic and rationality, you have to get past the emotional aspect first.

As far as dispelling myths about Atheism, that's much easier.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:33 pm
alteregoivy
I've found that for theists, it isn't a question of logic or rationality, it's a question of emotion. Your job is actually to convince them that their lives won't suffer from an emotional standpoint if they don't cling to theism.

The best way to talk to someone about atheism is, honestly, listen openly to why theists believe what they believe. Get to the heart of what really motivates them, and keep your cool in your response. If you want to have any chance and presenting the logic and rationality, you have to get past the emotional aspect first.

As far as dispelling myths about Atheism, that's much easier.
I agree with this 3nodding
Still, sometimes it's hard to get past the emotional aspect, because to many religious people rationality itself is "wrong" (like it's supposed to negate faith). Sometimes it just bites me how religion can change it's statement on ratonality so rapidly wink  

Raticiel

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:48 pm
My friend was convinced that hell wouldn't be so bad. She had to go through that step first before dropping the theism.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 pm
Sorry, guys. I forgot it was set to private. I have changed the settings to public now. Sorry sweatdrop  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:54 pm
Kool playlist. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:54 am
Great playlist!
I watched all of them except 4, 5, and 6.
That guy... Sam Harris? The FFreeThinker guy, he seemed like kind of a jerk.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:24 pm
Thanks for watching! smile
Brain, are you calling Sam Harris a jerk or Freethinker?
If you're calling Sam Harris a jerk... well he can be insulting sometimes and he is very anti-religion and absolutely despises the fact that religious criticism is taboo (which I can understand...)
If you are talking about Freethinker, that is simply an account that mirrors many atheists' videos; they're not actually his or her videos. Are you referring to the 'Militant Atheists' video? If so, I would have to disagree. I don't think he was being a jerk at all. In fact, I think he is pretty reasonable in what he said. It's funny how when a religious person talks about what they believe and try to persuade you, it's considered normal. You simply nicely shoo them away and you're polite and it's normal. If an atheist tries to discuss their view and persuade you, HELL NO. That's downright disrespectful.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games