Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
The Principles of Designing Logos

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:02 pm
Recently, as I've grown more accustomed to doing my own lettering, I've been thinking more and more about what makes a logo stand out at any size in any range of colors. What kinds of things do you feel as a graphic artist are important to making logos? For me it's a been a number of things, including how the feel of the logo relates back to the company it represents and it's overall recognition factor when people first see it. When people see the golden arches for McD's or the scratchy W for the WWE, you instantly know it's that company and no other, and that's the kind of feel I think a good logo should invoke  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm
Koiyuki
What kinds of things do you feel as a graphic artist are important to making logos?

I am actually taking a Corp Logo class right now and after doing several assignments I think it mainly comes down to needing to be simple enough to spot from the logo from far away and yet captivating enough when you get up close...

Granted the company's product has to me relevant as well...

Plus it can depend on color/text... Black and white logos can be difficult to create, but can really pack a punch if you get them right, and color logos can just make you or break you. Text seems to take logos to an almost completely different level... Whether to use initials or full company title, slogan or tagline, etc... It can get busy quick. If it's all balanced and not a mess, then it makes a good logo to me!  

PhoeJynx

blank_account_deleted_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:54 pm
That is true from both of you. Logos being a symbol and then trying to figure out how to make that symbol whether with a picture, words, initials, or words and a picture.
As to how many banks have their names and a small picture to represent that name.

As for logos that have all letters, figuring exactly which font to use can be difficult since there's over hundreds of styles out there. In my class when we had to create logos it was much more to it than i imagined.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 am
You have made me want to take a logo class now. I'm thinking that could be something I might be into in the future.  

Sumomo4life

Niko17
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:26 am
Koiyuki
Recently, as I've grown more accustomed to doing my own lettering, I've been thinking more and more about what makes a logo stand out at any size in any range of colors.
What kinds of things do you feel as a graphic artist are important to making logos?
For me it's a been a number of things, including
how the feel of the logo relates back to the company it represents and it's overall
recognition factor when people first see it. When people see the golden arches for McD's or the scratchy W for the WWE, you instantly know it's that company and no other, and that's the kind of feel I think a good logo should invoke

You've hit some good points here. Logo design is challenging as you need to condense an entire buisness or organisation into an image that will reflect the ideals and values of the company and THEN commincate that to an audience in a very short amount of time.
This becomes increasingly difficult when you take into account the hundreds and thousands of logos we are exposed to everyday, all trying to grab our attention.
The main factors to remember when desiging logos is how you are going to make your logo noticable, but also have it remembered.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Often simple logos work better, there are a number of reasons for this. Less detail and clutter in your logo means the viewer will not have to process as much information, making your logo look cleaner and more proffesional as well as aiding in recognisability, think of Apples iconic logo or Pepsi's tradmark symbol.

There is also a technical reason why simple logos work well, while colour can add interest and a strong visual focal point to your logo, it is important that they can stand up in just plain ol' black and white as well. This is mainly due to print media where colour options are somtimes limited, if your logo has alot of fine detail or uses a wide spectrum of colour, then this may not translate well if you have to print with a limited number of colours such as in a newspaper, or at a smaller size then you would normally.

It would be impossible to cover everything to do with logo design here, however there are entire books dedicated to this subject as well as countless resources online. If youre interested in logo design then I suggest having a look at Robin Williams, she has some excellent stuff for aspiring designers and probably explains alot better then I do too. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am
I love my corp logo class! If you know a college that offers one I would highly suggest you chekc it out.. or I also know of some good logo books! smile  

PhoeJynx

Larzar
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:37 am
A quick rule!~

Get your logo and make the whole thing solid black, if it is still recognisebale your on your way to a good logo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:20 am
Larzar
A quick rule!~

Get your logo and make the whole thing solid black, if it is still recognisebale your on your way to a good logo.

Excellent advise! That's one of the first things they teach you in corporate ID classes!  

PhoeJynx

StarMasayume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 am
Logos can be quite difficult. Unlike designing an ad or something that will be used once for a period of time, it is to establish that company and give them an identity.

I really admire good logos. People thinks it looks simple so it should be a quick deal but it's so easy to invest way more time than you expected on one. It can be very frustrating as well when the client doesn't convey very well what they want and ask for things that go against your design principles. >.>

I enjoyed doing logos in class back when we did that. I think it does help doing initial thumbnails to give yourself some direction.

And I completely agree with the tip: make sure a logo you design is still strong and distinguishable in b&w.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games