Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Religious schooling (Theres a question at the end I promise)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jester the Nightmare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:32 pm
So, my name is once again Brenden, I have gone to religious school for 7 years, why? Well to answer that I should tell you how I became christian, its simple it was a new school, all kinds of new kids around me I was young I wanted to be accepted on some level so I decided to become full christen while always questioning it in the back of my mind, also the reason I did all the ceremonies and stuff (this pisses off most of my friends and teachers) I was told I would be given a lot of cash after confirmation, and hell I like money. Yeah, so I went on to a catholic high school, it was a great school and religion class, well minus junior year was full of BS and preaching, at one point the sophomore teacher turned to us because we would ask questions about who made god and said we would all burn in hell. So yeah that put me off pretty hard, eventually I found a close group of friends who felt the same about the whole deal and we just became atheist after that, thought due to the school rules we still had to go to church masses in our gym, thought ironically that stopped cause our priest got slapped in the face with a ***** lawsuit from 40 years ago, alright thats a a lot of text to get to a single question point, what made or pushed you to become atheist, or where you always atheist?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:41 pm
I think this question has been asked before. Meh. Watching a confirmation is what made me think and set me to the athiest path. I had just finished a trip to europe and I was with my grandparents who take me to church. Three really cute girls that probably hadn't been anywhere else were swearing that the bible is the truth in life and that they'd live for it and the church from then on. That didn't sit very well with me 3nodding  

G4NTZ

Jester the Nightmare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:42 pm
I did that thinking to myself "Now where's my money, I put on this damn suit and walked up to shake the bishops hand..."  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:12 pm
I just kept watching the religious documentaries on the History Channel, coupled with my prior knowledge of the bible. That made me start thinking and made me watch every religious documentary I could find, eventually leading me to my current religious views. I don't even remember the last time I went to church, so I don't think I've ever heard a theist's point on view, though.  

In Search of a Dream

The Singular Enigma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:33 pm
I screamed and hissed when the bishop rubbed the oil on my forehead. My parents grounded me for a month and I'm not allowed back in church  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:44 pm
Holy shiza thats freaking great man, I mean really i find that absolutely hilarious, did you pull it from the exorcist or just felt like doing it?  

Jester the Nightmare

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:53 pm
I've never had a reason to belive.

When I was a kid, I of course said I belived in God, Jesus, and holy ghost, and that stuff, but it was blind faith, my parents thaught me to belive, but they failed to convince me God was real since all they said was "God is up there and he loves us and watches over us and provides us, blah blah". And honestly, that is just not enough.

I realized I didn't belive when I was 13 or so.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games