Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
i heart type Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you like the typeface papyrus?
hell no!!
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
yes because i dont know better
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
huh!?
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

thejessjess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:29 pm
okei who is a dork like me that loves typography? i know im not the only one...
ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:15 pm
I adore typefaces. Designed a few, and have the utmost respect for those who do that for a living. Great stuff.

It's like pulling teeth to get my clients to understand the value of good typography.

Papyrus can suck it.

(triplex holds a special place in my heart at the moment tho...)  

rogue_designer

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:12 am
I'm just starting to appreciate type much more (and appreciate the fact that I barely know anything about it). It can have such a subtle but powerful effect, which I guess is why clients don't understand the value of it too well confused

I like to look at the signage along the street while riding the bus to work and name the type faces on them rofl *geek* Century Gothic seems to be in fashion for signage around here at the mo.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:48 pm
haha my friends and i always catch ourselves discussing type or nameing type that we see...its awsome ninja  

thejessjess

Jenudi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:02 pm
Papyrus = Yuck!

Massimo is my hero!! rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:59 pm
Type can be a very powerful thing when trying to sell something or portray a certain image. Roughness, softness, angles, and a whole bunch of other factors can affect what a person thinks when they see it. Although I think it blows that we have to pay $20 for one type of font, even if it is super cool...

*saw a bunch of different, EXPENSIVE fonts that are not attainable without a credit card* :X  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

thejessjess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:46 am
i dont mind paying. i would rather go the legal way than steal the type face. but i would only try to buy from adobe or ITC because i know they know thier type and thou its expensive i trust them, plus how many different type facec do you use? the famous designers only end up useing at least 5 to 10 different type faces at the most. you just get into this way of useing only a few of your favorite type faces anyway.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:14 pm
$20 for a font is cheap cheap... I've spent as much as $350 on an individual typeface before (including families of bold/narrow/smcaps, etc.)

Back in '98 I spent almost 8k on the entire adobe font library in Multiple Master versions...

Of course, once we switched to OSX I couldn't use any of them anymore. sweatdrop

ITC is tres nice... I really like the newer typefaces being developed by House Industries too (Neutra is one of my favorite sans families ever ... and Chalet is a close 3rd of 4th)  

rogue_designer

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:25 am
rogue_designer
$20 for a font is cheap cheap... I've spent as much as $350 on an individual typeface before (including families of bold/narrow/smcaps, etc.)

Back in '98 I spent almost 8k on the entire adobe font library in Multiple Master versions...

Of course, once we switched to OSX I couldn't use any of them anymore. sweatdrop

ITC is tres nice... I really like the newer typefaces being developed by House Industries too (Neutra is one of my favorite sans families ever ... and Chalet is a close 3rd of 4th)

o.O

I need a credit card... stressed gonk crying  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:42 pm
What is everyones opinion on display type. Of course there is a purpose for everything with restraint, but I tend to shy away from using them unless totally necessary.  

Jenudi

rogue_designer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:32 pm
Display type usage for me totally depends on what the piece is...

And obviously, how odd the display typeface has gotten - some integrate more nicely than others.

But in a given design, it's rare for me to use more than two typeface families + 1 display face.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:25 pm
When I originally read the thread, I thought for a moment, "Wait a tic, but I liked Papyrus!"

Thankfully, I'm on a computer that has Word so I immediately jumped to it, thinking, "We must be talking about entirely different fonts."

I guess I had just gotten it confused with another font. There's individual elements of Papyrus that I like (I like stressed stuff for some reason), but when I got to actually see it all lying out on the page, I definitely went "ew", and immediately disassociated myself from any mention of the typeface.

There's just too much stuff involved in that typeface all at once.

And as to prices... I'm just glad that there are people in companies that have let me use fonts that are far beyond what a college student can afford. I have bought the occaisonal cheap font, but anything above $20, my wallet cannot consider crying

I'm such a sad artist.  

summer.maes

Bolweevil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:41 pm
rogue_designer

I'm really curious what a $350 typeface looks like.

It must be spectacular to justify the price.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:31 pm
summer.maes
I guess I had just gotten it confused with another font. There's individual elements of Papyrus that I like (I like stressed stuff for some reason), but when I got to actually see it all lying out on the page, I definitely went "ew", and immediately disassociated myself from any mention of the typeface.

I think it's better to just distress a typeface yourself. It's very easy to do, and it makes for a non-repetitive look. Just print out the type and take masking tape to it.

That's the one major thing about distressed type I do not like; the constant look of two exact letters.  

Jenudi

Jenudi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:32 pm
Papyrus is way overused as well, and it more often doesn't match the reason to be used. It's a very specific font and I have only seen one instance where it was well done (it was small hehe)  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff