Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
New Supreme Court Case!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seperation of Church and State!
100%
 100%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 16

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 pm
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-hears-mojave-cross-case/story?id=8665121

Check it out! It's a new Supreme Court case and it's actually very close to where I live! Probably within 5 and 15 minutes. Yay, my city/county might be put on the map ;D
Anyway... the case... Well, you see, it's about this cross monument that's meant to be a war memorial. It was originally made to honor the people who died for the war (I believe, but you can read the article for further info) and it was made a while back on private property; so it was perfectly legal since it was their own land. Now, however, the government owns the land and so the cross is actually on government property. Recently, some dude wanted to put a Buddhist shrine there to also serve as a memorial but it was denied since it IS government property and they can't just go letting everyone make religious monuments or put religious symbols all over their property. The cross was made there BEFORE the land was government-owned though. What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 pm
Eh. While generally, if a cross is being used to honor the dead, I see no REAL problem with it, in this case, I feel it needs to be taken down. Either that or let anyone put whatever sort of religious symbols there that they want, too.

The Emoholic

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:09 am
Chop down the cross and replace it with a memorial statue?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:34 pm
Take it down, then, and put a memorial statue. How do they know that everyone who fought for the US was Christian? (Which war are we talking about, by the way?)  

In Search of a Dream

dl1371

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:41 pm
D i v i n i t y
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-hears-mojave-cross-case/story?id=8665121

Check it out! It's a new Supreme Court case and it's actually very close to where I live! Probably within 5 and 15 minutes. Yay, my city/county might be put on the map ;D
Anyway... the case... Well, you see, it's about this cross monument that's meant to be a war memorial. It was originally made to honor the people who died for the war (I believe, but you can read the article for further info) and it was made a while back on private property; so it was perfectly legal since it was their own land. Now, however, the government owns the land and so the cross is actually on government property. Recently, some dude wanted to put a Buddhist shrine there to also serve as a memorial but it was denied since it IS government property and they can't just go letting everyone make religious monuments or put religious symbols all over their property. The cross was made there BEFORE the land was government-owned though. What do you guys think?

they should take down the cross and put up a slab of stone
that way you're not worshipping any religion  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 am
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. A more secular memorial would be better. The arguments, though, are that the cross cost money to the people who wanted it there, etc. and that it is not harmful and has only good intentions. So do you guys think that the government should take down the cross and put up a new memorial? I mean the cross is already like a memorial monument... does the government really need to waste tax money to take it down and make a new monument? o.O
Also, the cross was put up by war veterans some time in the 1900's...
I don't remember when though; I forget, sorry.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items