Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Nobel Peace Prize Now Officially Worthless

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 am
As some of you may have heard already, Obama has been given the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. For my money, the prize just now turned into something that's not worth the materials it's printed on. The committee cited his efforts to engage the world in more diplomacy. Let's recap some of Obama's diplomatic accomplishments to date:

He's strong-armed the people of Honduras to force them to reinstate a nascent dictator of the Hugo Chavez mold.

He's withdrawn security commitments to Poland and the Czech Republic that both nations considered vital to protecting them from Russian intimidation.

He's bought into a dog and pony show of negotiations with Iran that are designed exclusively to buy time to develop nuclear weapons.

He's made concessions to the Russians in the hopes of winning diplomatic cooperation on the Iran issue, only to see those fall flat.

He's alienated Israel on the peace process, virtually guaranteeing that there will be no Israeli cooperation on an eventual settlement with the Palestinians.

His one foreign policy accomplishment is a national security one that involved ordering Navy snipers to shoot hostage-takers in the heads.

Facts are facts. Obama's list of diplomatic accomplishments is thin and padded with failure. This award was given to Obama for one reason only; he isn't George W. Bush.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:43 am
Considering Obamania's hastening rescindment, this is rather dubious and unexpected. Guess they were short of candidates this year.  

DanskiWolf

Pumona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:23 pm
Even if your short on candidates or not, it does not matter. The nobel Peace Prize is a joke. It was orginally started for a good cause but that has changed in the past couple years. Obama himself said that he does not deserve it yet. Here's an idea don't accept it then. Come on getting nominated within 10 days in office and the only things he did in that time frame was double the spending and get Gitmo closed.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:46 am
Gitmo is not even closed yet. That's why this is so nebulous. About the only thing you could point to with the argument that it enhanced peace and human dignity is Obama's decision to ban enhanced interrogations. That's it. That's the only thing he's actually done that would fall under the scope of the award. And even then, the committee didn't even cite that. The prize is a joke now. It used to be a distinguished honor for people who did great things, now it's just a political advocacy award.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Pumona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:58 pm
Lord Bitememan
Gitmo is not even closed yet. That's why this is so nebulous. About the only thing you could point to with the argument that it enhanced peace and human dignity is Obama's decision to ban enhanced interrogations. That's it. That's the only thing he's actually done that would fall under the scope of the award. And even then, the committee didn't even cite that. The prize is a joke now. It used to be a distinguished honor for people who did great things, now it's just a political advocacy award.

I know, the people that actually deserve this kind of recognization now are going to think who cares. It is so sad this happened.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:02 am
I'm so happy that people like Einstein and MLK Jr. got this prize considering how valued we now know it is stare  

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:24 pm
Back when they got it the prize actually stood for something. Back then the formula was; go out, accomplish something great, be recognized for the greatness of what you did. Now the formula seems to be; endorse something political the Nobel Committee (largely Scandinavian) agrees with, have the biggest microphone, get an award because they want to use the prestige of the award to further your political goals.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm
yeah this is sad you know i think

they make such a big deal about his race that nothing els matters

i am not a racist i don't feel people should treat him better because of that

because i don't care what he is and nether should you we are all equal not more oprest or better just the same dam people

so what i mean is if your truly not racist don't give a job to a minority because you feel obligated to compensate for something all anyone deserves if fairness nothing less and NOTHING MORE

and i honestly think if hillary was pres she would have got it because she is a woman

and for that i would like to have the next nobel peace prize  

goodshot911SNK

The Republican Guild of Gaia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces