Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So I have an idea

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Takki33

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 pm
Well maybe it's not much of an idea but rather a philosophy.
Now with evolution being accepted as true we can assume that the goal of each species is to reproduce and survive. This brought me around to the thought that surviving is the underlying motive of every action for every species. The best way I believe to explain this is to make it simple. All the early single cell organisms did was survive as a species. Through mutation and the process of evolution each organism did gained new things that helped the species survive.

The development of the brain as an evolutionary trait was (again) only for survival. This means that its abilities must have the same purpose as nothing would be naturally selected among so many species if it did not aid survival. With this I assumed that everything derived from the brain must have a purpose in survival.

Now say we fast forward to when the seeds of civilization started, when hunter-gatherers began to settle. As many of you know excess of food allowed some of them to specialize. They did this so that they could trade for food, eat, and survive. This got more complex as money was introduced. With money humans could work with things other than upgradeable goods, such as science or math. This again is only for survival.

With this block of text behind me I will state my idea. All of what we conceive as reality is merely an illusion created by evolution to help us survive. This means that religion, science, anything and everything we know could be nothing more but a figment of evolutionary creation.
I would be happy to receive anyone's thoughts on this and would be equally enthusiastic to answer any questions.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:50 pm
i think that many things we have created could have been evolution
science, i think we discovered, did not create, to help us survive  

dl1371

Takki33

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:55 pm
dl1371
i think that many things we have created could have been evolution
science, i think we discovered, did not create, to help us survive

While it is true it is difficult (for me at least) to prove that the discovery has no assistance to our survival. Other than the obvious reasons I stated I suppose a fine example is medicine.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games