Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
Ghosts and fire

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tac400

7,850 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:19 pm
I'm aware this is probably one of my worst and probably logically unsound ideas, but I was thinking to myself earlier that some spirits present themselves as or emit spiritual flames, and wondered if ones that don't could actually catch fire by spiritual means. Now i'm trying to figure out a way to test it, and could use some advice as to methods I might try, or any issues that might complicate my attempts. I also want to hear criticism if you can offer it. (I really couldn't figure out what sub-forum to put this in.)  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:09 pm
Wait.. So.. you want to set ghosts on fire? Even if it was possible, I must ask - for what purpose??  

Magus Initi

regina_in_exile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:38 am
nothing is impossible. only improbable.

i'm thinking that if you were to spiritually try to light some poor ghost on fire, it would be sort of psionically done. i'm thinking that if you wanted to do it, it would be for defensive purposes. (at least i am hoping that...)

it's all about visualization, practice, and control of yourself and your energies and of those around you. i'm sure it could be done, because we cant prove otherwise, can we?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:33 pm
regina_in_exile
nothing is impossible. only improbable.

i'm thinking that if you were to spiritually try to light some poor ghost on fire, it would be sort of psionically done. i'm thinking that if you wanted to do it, it would be for defensive purposes. (at least i am hoping that...)

it's all about visualization, practice, and control of yourself and your energies and of those around you. i'm sure it could be done, because we cant prove otherwise, can we?

Thank you very much, i'll have to look more into this.

Magus Young
Wait.. So.. you want to set ghosts on fire? Even if it was possible, I must ask - for what purpose??

Research, and understanding. I understand if you are skeptical about my intentions, I would be if someone had asked me this question.  

Tac400

7,850 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100

regina_in_exile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:49 pm
just dont go around setting random spirits on fire. it's just not polite. but good question. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 am
regina_in_exile
just dont go around setting random spirits on fire. it's just not polite. but good question. smile

I agree. Even if it did work, you don't know what their reaction would be. It could be very dangerous.  

Magus Initi

Garret_Strife

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:34 pm
regina_in_exile

R
E
S
P
E
C
T (end Aretha Franklin)

Just saying, be careful, and keep all things in mind. Keep in mind not only cause and effect, but reasoning and reaction as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:14 pm
um... why would want to set a spirit on fire? Aren't they suffering enough?

Poor ghosties...

I know what's impossible. Being perfect and normal.  

Marokia

Blessed Sex Symbol

13,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

regina_in_exile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 pm
how do you know that spirits are suffering?

that is only one way that they are viewed. could it simply be another existence on a plane on the other side of the veil? could it be a spirit that was never a person, but just a coherent energy? you dont know, and it would be wise never to assume.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 am
I can't help but laugh at this one. I wish you luck in finding out if you can or not.  

Neamhain Riona

Marokia

Blessed Sex Symbol

13,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:26 pm
regina_in_exile

that is only one way that they are viewed. could it simply be another existence on a plane on the other side of the veil? could it be a spirit that was never a person, but just a coherent energy? you dont know, and it would be wise never to assume.

well most of the time((not all the time mind you)) I find that ghosts are clinging to the world because of a horrible death, they're afriad to go, or they still have something to do here and they're suffering as it is.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:01 pm
Marokia
regina_in_exile

well most of the time((not all the time mind you)) I find that ghosts are clinging to the world because of a horrible death, they're afriad to go, or they still have something to do here and they're suffering as it is.

I'm sorry Marokia I want to be entirely clear on this.
I'm not hating on you or intending to be cruel.
I just think you have no idea what you're talking about.
a spirit isn't only a departed mortal, and most certainly not "only" one who has suffered a painful passing.
there are spirits of nature and even artificial spirits.
Consider the Kami.
Consider the Domovoi.

just a thought.
and the topic is about spirits/spiritual creatures/entities not only ghosts yes?  

CottonCandyDragon

5,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Captain Chemosh

Romantic Prophet

8,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:21 pm
On paper it seems possible, but I believe that since ghosts and the like don't properly exist on our plane that you could not set them on fire. Likewise a spiritual fire, such as a will-o-wisp would not burn you, since it is only partially in contact with our plane...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:53 pm
Well... I'm pretty sure what looks like fire when it comes to spirits isn't actually fire. I'm pretty sure fire is the release of energy from breaking binds chemical in physical chemical reactions so I would assume the closest thing you could do is pretty much destroy the spirits form. This would be wrong?

You can of course make the semblance of this without actually hurting anything though by altering the ambient energy around the spirit ... kind of like bending light to make an illusion.

As to burning the spirit... I don't think that's the best way to remove them from this world. That is all that they have left and well... you might destroy the spirit so that they can't exist on any other plane if you do "burn them" or break them down till they can't exist here. You are removing there energy... and rather then being a leech and absorbing it you'd just be releasing it as ambient energy. Burning a spirit like that I think would be even more unethical then a psychic vampire. Thats why people when removing a spirit burns the object the spirit is attached to Not the spirit. In order for a spirit to manifest it has to work through a physical object and attach itself to that. A well founded spirit will do alot of work changing the object so that its will can work through it. A less well founded spirit might just attach to whatever is nearest and might move around a bit. In anycase all you have to do is remove its anchor and it can't stay here  

Ishtar Shakti

The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games