Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What proof would you need? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:49 am
I originally took the "true Agnostic" stand towards religion, because I sort of always thought that to a true skeptic, no amount of evidence could convince him or her of the existence of a god or gods.

Admittedly, specific religions make many claims that *can* be tested through science. I am probably 99.9% atheist towards established religions; I am somewhat more agnostic about an undefined universal consciousness.

Still, what would it take to convince the skeptic, for sure? Just one inexplicable occurrence or facet of the universe wouldn't cut it; there are many things that are not yet explicable through science. A personal experience wouldn't work; there's another thread on Gnosis and many "miracles" have no evidence to support them other than various eyewitness accounts.

What would it take to make you believe in God? Not necessarily to make you worship Him/Her/It/They, but just to *know* that it exists?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:01 pm
For it to knock on my front door, barge in, grab a soda, and kick its feet up on the coffe table rofl  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

Ayumila

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:18 pm
Labyrinthknight7
For it to knock on my front door, barge in, grab a soda, and kick its feet up on the coffe table rofl

Yeah but even then I'd need to see some ID or something =P  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:35 pm
If the Rapture happened, I'd seriously start doubting my convictions.

Or if God instant messaged me, put his hand through my computer screen and dragged me up to wherever he judges people. Even then, though... I might attribute it to sleep deprivation or carbon monoxide fumes. ^_^  

Eccentric Detective

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:08 pm
tearingXheavenXdown

Or if God instant messaged me, put his hand through my computer screen and dragged me up to wherever he judges people. Even then, though... I might attribute it to sleep deprivation or carbon monoxide fumes. ^_^

Well, exactly, that's what I'm saying. Even if you had some sort of trippy experience to convince you of God, you would probably simply doubt your own sanity.

Now, the Rapture, that might work, because it would be a global event with physical consequences.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:24 pm
i wouldnt worship a god even if he/she/it appeared in front of me and gave me 50 dollars
i mean think about it, if there is a god or higher power he/she/it must be pretty screwed up to let all the bad things that have happened or are happening happen
you dont want to go to an afterlife with that
and besides, eternal life would bore the crap out of me anyway  

dl1371

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:11 pm
Scientific and verifiable evidence.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:54 pm
Having him come down from the sky in front of everyone and watch him perform miracles (ie, cure somebody's paralysis or Down's syndrome). I don't think it's fair that only the ancient jews had the privilege to see him in person doing his magic.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:56 pm
alteregoivy
tearingXheavenXdown

Well, exactly, that's what I'm saying. Even if you had some sort of trippy experience to convince you of God, you would probably simply doubt your own sanity.

Now, the Rapture, that might work, because it would be a global event with physical consequences.
XD I think if something that unbelievable happened to me, I would rather live it and enjoy my insanity.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 am
Well, if someone came up to me, kicked me in the knee and said "Doesn't hurt any more, does it?" and it DIDN'T, well... I'd definitely become their prophet.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:25 pm
If the Rapture ocurred, I'd definitely start rethinking immediately.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:30 pm
If god rode out of my T.v riding a unicorn and said "Sup dawg lets play sum HALO 3 BEATCH!!! Were you keep the booze in yo crib" then I might start to consider he was real...and yes im saying god is black.  

FuzzBall 005

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm
dl1371
i wouldnt worship a god even if he/she/it appeared in front of me and gave me 50 dollars
i mean think about it, if there is a god or higher power he/she/it must be pretty screwed up to let all the bad things that have happened or are happening happen

What if he gave you 100 dollars? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:59 pm
Lethkhar
dl1371

What if he gave you 100 dollars? mrgreen

i still wouldnt worship him
i mean is a hundred dollars worth lieing(curse my bad spelling) about your views and supporting someone who doesnt care whether people die or not?  

dl1371

MiniSiets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:43 am
Testable and repeatable evidence that would allow us to continually interact with or perceive the deity in some form. Basically, any way that we could measure by science would be convincing enough for me.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff