Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garret_Strife

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Aum

It is in supposition within Hindu & Buddhism (and some other areas which spur into theosophy & universalism) that this is the vibration closest within our reality and ability to symbolize; or give acknowledging perception to relate to the origin of existence. Not only in relations to the origin, but the closest human capable vibration to "name" existence as we have come to know.

It is "generally" believed (in such cases) that all of existence functions of pure energy, or cosmic energy if you will. That every facet we perceive is a form of vibration functioning at some level at different speeds, in different wave patterns, many times inconceivable to the human consciousness.

Now - that I've summed that up into the two shortest paragraphs I possible could.... it's time for thoughts and feelings. 3nodding

I'd like to see how everyone feels about this, or if you have any additional information you would like to bring up that I didn't share in the "ultimately abridged version" I just presented.

So spill it out, let me know what you all think. scream

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:18 pm
Um, what would you like to discuss? How magic and yoga complement each other as a path to self realization and spiritual unfoldment?

About the inner mysteries of the AUM sound and how it primates the universe?

I can also see that you are a fan of Cynic sooo.... Are we to talk about Samadhi, Kriya, hatha + Raja yoga?  

Mercury Skies

4,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Garret_Strife

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:53 am
Rosriel
Um, what would you like to discuss? How magic and yoga complement each other as a path to self realization and spiritual unfoldment?

About the inner mysteries of the AUM sound and how it primates the universe?

I can also see that you are a fan of Cynic sooo.... Are we to talk about Samadhi, Kriya, hatha + Raja yoga?

Any facet within the area really. People vary on how they associate with ideas that function at a more primal or ubiquitous level, and I like to see the opinions or reasoning in such. I personally feel the that magic and yogic practices integrate fairly well with not only gaining a decent cognition of our "personal" functions in this reality, but aid us in the expansion of spiritual/metaphysical/cosmic discovery (as you mentioned). I also wonder how most people feel about individual consciousness vs. unified consciousness while exploring such topics. Some people find it daunting, some people are entirely accepting, some get lost and disassociative within themselves. How do you feel about it off hand if I may ask?

As for the inner mysteries of AUM, it's really sort of an infinite possibility sequence. From origins, to assessment, to affect it divulges an innumerable amount of subjects. Expressing the concerns of "time" as we know it, or as we perceive it I suppose. Also contemplating not only this "level" of reality, but the infinite therein. I mean, by these standards, as far as we as humans are able to "put conception" to,
Garret_Strife
all of existence functions of pure energy, or cosmic energy if you will.
Do you find this legitimate, or find it to be over-thinking things (or something else completely)?

I am a pretty big Cynic fan, and very excited for the new E.P. coming out. Prog. is kind of my lifeblood. 3nodding Which of course made me kind of upset that A: Cynic wasn't part of the U.S. Prog. Nation 09' tour, and B: That every band I want to see is either in Europe or Australia for the next 3 months, but I digress.

We can discuss any of the Yogic practices. I have to admit that I don't always apply them in my day to day meditations, but have decent conception of these areas. I don't think I can express too deeply in the realms of Dhyana or Samadhi (therein), with the possible exception of an experience that may have had something to do with an entheogen (highly unrecommended by the way).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 pm
Alright then, I am going to start off with this. Have you read "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda.

In this book he has revealed a lot of fascinating experiences. There were also so mention of mythical figures who has demonstrated miracles. Well known one would be the death of Yoganada. The reason I mention this was that his body remain perfectly persevered 20 days after his death.

Mercury Skies

4,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Viscerim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 am
I would say it's usually a fair bet to think all of reality exists as a vibration on different levels, or as a cosmic energy. Although, I think it's inaccurate to limit it to something like vibration or frequency, as well as limiting it by the adjective cosmic or the noun energy. In fact, I don't think there's any word to describe it, so Aum is just as good a word as any.

You mentioned consciousness as individualized or unified, but I see it either being crippling as an individual consciousness, or being unified without consciousness. Consciousness seems to be an energy manifestation, so I see it as little more significant, and actually more counterproductive, than any other manifestation like a chair or a bar of soap razz .

I most definitely agree that the nature of the universe, such as Aum would hope to encapsulate, is entirely inconceivable. To conceptualize such an entity (for lack of a better word) is to limit the nature of it cognitively and it thus eludes us.

My last thought is the wording of the paragraph seems to indicate existence as being a condition separate from us, whereas my humble perspective sees us and Aum to be mistaken identities of the same thing; two perspective from water drops within an ocean.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am
ironically enough, despite the fact that in most words that have an o in them i prefer to pronounce it short even when it should be long (like Orange. i pronounce it AHR-enj instead of OR-enj), i have always felt more comfortable with teh spelling/pronunciation OHM rather than AUM. but that is not realy important.

anywho, i have always felt that the idea of Ohm just has to be true. the concept of everything being a vibration in Eather feels so right. i wouldn't say that it is overthinking it at all. i don't think it is possible to overthink Ohm, or perhaps it is beyond any chance of comprehending at all. beyond complexity even. i don't bother to philosophize on it directly.

that everything is Energy is the current scientific consensus, as well as the philosophical and the religious consensus. if you want to argue it, i would want evidence. however, i am always willing to listen to anyone's theories, however uncredible they may be.

i don't know too much about Yoga, but i know i want to learn it, as well as Thai Chi. let's begin discussing these things, and if it is alright, i think some insider info on the differences in each type of Yoga practice, and how they relate to eachother, Thai Chi and Magic practice would be a great. place to start.

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Mistreena

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:14 pm
Garret_Strife

It is "generally" believed (in such cases) that all of existence functions of pure energy, or cosmic energy if you will. That every facet we perceive is a form of vibration functioning at some level at different speeds, in different wave patterns, many times inconceivable to the human consciousness.

I have, for quite a while, believed in this energy that runs through not only humans and animals, but all things. Has not science pretty much proven that all things are made up of atoms, made up of tinier things, made up of energy?
I believe that those using what we call magic are tapping into this power, this energy, which most of us do not even know about let alone know how to control.

Now I will question you: Do you believe there are 'naturals' who can tap into that power without training to do so? It would explain the 'people born with magical/super powers' - but that only ever seems to be in books/movies. In real life, I can see being trained and taught by one who has achieved this ability, even having an higher chance of gaining it due to heredity, but not being able to use it without any training/teaching.

Edit: Tai Chi sounds like a great topic, as well as yoga. I think there is a lot to learn from Tai Chi, which seems (to me anyway) to be a mixture of the physical training and mental/spiritual training. I watched all of the Kung Fu tv series, there is a lot of wisdom that can be learned, and this is one of the types of training I am referring to, for magic usage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 am
Mistreena
Garret_Strife

I have, for quite a while, believed in this energy that runs through not only humans and animals, but all things. Has not science pretty much proven that all things are made up of atoms, made up of tinier things, made up of energy?
I believe that those using what we call magic are tapping into this power, this energy, which most of us do not even know about let alone know how to control.

Now I will question you: Do you believe there are 'naturals' who can tap into that power without training to do so? It would explain the 'people born with magical/super powers' - but that only ever seems to be in books/movies. In real life, I can see being trained and taught by one who has achieved this ability, even having an higher chance of gaining it due to heredity, but not being able to use it without any training/teaching.

Edit: Tai Chi sounds like a great topic, as well as yoga. I think there is a lot to learn from Tai Chi, which seems (to me anyway) to be a mixture of the physical training and mental/spiritual training. I watched all of the Kung Fu tv series, there is a lot of wisdom that can be learned, and this is one of the types of training I am referring to, for magic usage.

to my understanding if you trained in a previous life and developed some kind of "power" it will usually manifest in your current life in some form or another.  

Kuroitchi

Garret_Strife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:21 pm
Mistreena
Garret_Strife

For one reason or another, I read this, and all I can think about are pages 140-151 in the book "What the Bleep Do We Know!?".

You should check it out some time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:32 am
Garret_Strife
Mistreena
Garret_Strife

For one reason or another, I read this, and all I can think about are pages 140-151 in the book "What the Bleep Do We Know!?".

HURRAY! biggrin :zoidburg impression.:

I love What The Bleep! in fact, all the stuff by those folks!

Michio Kaku is like my Physics Hero! whee heart  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Garret_Strife

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:39 pm
Chieftain Twilight
Garret_Strife
Mistreena
Garret_Strife

HURRAY! biggrin :zoidburg impression.:

I love What The Bleep! in fact, all the stuff by those folks!

Michio Kaku is like my Physics Hero! whee heart

Oh my goodness sir. What the Bleep is by far one of my favorite reads. The film adaptation was neat, but I much more prefer the book. I'd be rather excited the new film "Ghetto Physics" if it seemed I knew of any theater within relative distance that would be showing it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:45 pm
The only thing I can say is: If its true, I like it and wish to manipulate it. XD  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games