Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Study (Research)
Transferring or teaching abilities

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:24 pm
Things have developed recently since my last post. This morning, I was woken up because of an assertive entity in my dream. Not necessarily malicious, but it definitely had presence. I wouldn't have though much of this, except for the fact that my girlfriend, who had been sleeping beside me, said that she saw a dark form moving around.

Like I had already mentioned in my other post, she used to see things fairly frequently, but she hadn't seen much of anything for a long time. At this point, she said there were several things, all black or grey orbs, moving around the ceiling and near my bookcase (recently purchased from Ikea- spooooky). I didn't see anything, but I had her point one out, and as soon as I touched it, it disappeared.

To my surprise, I felt it before it went away. This gave me some confidence that she was actually seeing whatever it was that was in my room, so I decided to experiment farther. I tried forming an energy ball, which I never really had any solid confirmation of up to this point, and she was able to see it. She basically narrated what I felt, when it got bigger, smaller, stretched, or when it dissipated.

It kills me that she has such natural ability to see this sort of thing, and I'm still unable to see anything after over two years of study. She hasn't ever practiced energy manipulation before, either. So, I'm led to wonder:

[TL;DR] Is there some way of teaching or passing on a psychic ability that one person already has?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:54 pm
Not even a "lolno ur dum"? neutral  

8Bit Jack

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:36 pm
As far as I can tell from my experience and research, I don't think it can be transferred. Teaching it seems like a possible thing, however, factors like your own predispositions, talents, and mind-set come into play when teaching these things, and what works for one person might be hard to understand in the same way that they do. Even if understood, there's no guarantee it would work at all.

Seems to me like she has a natural talent for seeing such things, and people like that often have less understanding of how they do such things then someone who were able to "share" her body to see and feel exactly what she was doing. People with innate talent like that just seem to do and feel things that aren't "normal", but they've never had another frame of reference and, therefore, have never been able to tell.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:59 pm
You can transfer abilities in a way but then you have to transfer the underlying framework and then you have to accept someone elses underlying framework. Its transfering the imprint or energy of an event. She would also have to know how to do this which isn't likely. The other thing you could do was try to form a link with her and then pretty much try to have her send you information by reviewing how it feels for her and you try to internalize it.
It would be up to you to understand how its done. Also sometimes people's underlying patterns are different... you have to find where the information is leaking in for her. She has to have an open channel or pathway somewhere that is bringing the information in. Then she naturally processes what the energy looks like etc. and this is more subjective. You more want to focus on letting the energy in so that you can see and sense it.  

Ishtar Shakti

Some Dude From Guam

Versatile Genius

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 pm
There is also the possibility that the reason that you are wanting of the natural abilities of this other individual is because you have been training and studying for years.

If everything in the occult or paranormal mystique were completely rational, then it would have its own place in the mainstream of sciences. Perhaps, it can be seen as art--her natural ability is more instinctual than the ritual practices of the adept. She just feels it, and runs with it. Her lack of training maintains the purity of her perception, as there are no filters intentionally placed.

If such a possibility were to be entertained, then the reasonable solution would be to not think about it. Simply pay attention to any small sensations you receive that are comparable to hers and build from there. Build up the ability to perceive without rationalizing it--then you can achieve this natural ability (which probably exists among all humanity, thus the "spooky feelings" when we "know" that something isn't right).

In this light, you can teach it to yourself.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:42 am
I agree with Noctum prince. Yet I would have to add that once you can actually perceive things it is then good to... not rationalize and fit it into your current framework... to to try to understand the reason for the perception. Her senses are doubtfully perfect I know mine aren't  

Ishtar Shakti

The Study (Research)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff