Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Debate/Discuss Religion guild... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you also part of the Dibate/Discuss Religion guild?
  Yes! (+1)
  Nope...
View Results

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:44 pm
I'm just curious: how many of you guys are also part of the Debate/Discuss Religion guild? If you are, then why?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 pm
I am!
I actually should apologize because I stopped frequenting here so much so that I could frequent there...

But I'm in the guild for a couple of reasons.
First, I like to debate. And I can get different points of view there because the guild is fairly diverse.
I can get the Fundamentalist Christian logic on a topic.
Not just the idea. But the entire thought process.
And it helps me understand how theists think.
And it gives me an opportunity to question my own ideas.

It also lets me learn about different religions.
XD I've learned guite a bit about Judaism by IMR's angry rants.
And people are typically pretty patient in helping me understand their religion when I ask.

And then also the people are really nice there.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:56 pm
I am not part of it but I may want to be a part of it.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:41 am
I'm in it. I joined for the reason as the name of the guild describes; I like to debate religion. It builds my understanding of other points of view and often helps strengthen my own view, and besides that, it's just fun for philosophical nerds like me.  

MiniSiets

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:59 am
brainnsoup
I am!
I actually should apologize because I stopped frequenting here so much so that I could frequent there...

First, I like to debate. And I can get different points of view there because the guild is fairly diverse.

And people are typically pretty patient in helping me understand their religion when I ask.

I at least knew you were already. ^_^ I recognized you and your cute little pic in your sig. 3nodding

And I know what you mean by IMR's rants. Lol. I actually think that, in a way, she'd fit in here, too.

You probably saw what really was not one of my finer moments over there... sweatdrop There's really only one person that I absolutely cannot stand over there. And I've noticed recently that people will quote her posts in a thread, but when I look for the original post, it's not there anymore... Weird.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:06 pm
alteregoivy
brainnsoup
I am!

I at least knew you were already. ^_^ I recognized you and your cute little pic in your sig. 3nodding

And I know what you mean by IMR's rants. Lol. I actually think that, in a way, she'd fit in here, too.

You probably saw what really was not one of my finer moments over there... sweatdrop There's really only one person that I absolutely cannot stand over there. And I've noticed recently that people will quote her posts in a thread, but when I look for the original post, it's not there anymore... Weird.
:3
Haha, I keep getting into debates there with the same person.
It drives me crazy. She's possible the nicest person in the guild, and everything she says makes me want to rip my hair out. D:<

I actually haven't seen IMR around at all lately though.
I don't know where she went.
It would be interesting to have her here though.

I don't know what moment you're talking about though.
I see you around every once in a while but I usually don't post at the longer threads because I don't want to read everything... XD
I think I know who you're reffering to though.
But I assume you didn't use a name for a reason so I'll respect that.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:03 pm
brainnsoup
It drives me crazy. She's possible the nicest person in the guild, and everything she says makes me want to rip my hair out. D:<

I see you around every once in a while but I usually don't post at the longer threads because I don't want to read everything... XD

You mean Blue (I forget her whole user name)? Yeah, she seems nice enough, but... Well, she's just as stubborn as we are! xd

Yeah, I wonder what did happen to IMR... Maybe we should invite her to at least look at the GAU? xd

Well, I was talking about CH1YO. I didn't use the name just because I thought I might be tempted to talk bad about her if I spoke in too much detail... Lol. And I really do try not to be a gossip. But pretty late on in the Bisexuality thread, I told her off. Semiremis didn't agree with me, but a couple other people spoke up against CH1YO, too. Then CH1YO posted her own Bisexuality thread. Since then, sometimes a thread will say that CH1YO's was the most recent post, but then that post is nowhere to be found. Odd.

BTW, one of the things that makes me mad, I think, it totally not her fault. Because I LOVE Azumanga Daioh, and whenever I hear "Chiyo" I think "Chiyo-Chan." And I want her to be Chiyo-chan. Lol. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:43 pm
alteregoivy
brainnsoup

You mean Blue (I forget her whole user name)? Yeah, she seems nice enough, but... Well, she's just as stubborn as we are! xd

Yeah, I wonder what did happen to IMR... Maybe we should invite her to at least look at the GAU? xd

Well, I was talking about CH1YO. I didn't use the name just because I thought I might be tempted to talk bad about her if I spoke in too much detail... Lol. And I really do try not to be a gossip. But pretty late on in the Bisexuality thread, I told her off. Semiremis didn't agree with me, but a couple other people spoke up against CH1YO, too. Then CH1YO posted her own Bisexuality thread. Since then, sometimes a thread will say that CH1YO's was the most recent post, but then that post is nowhere to be found. Odd.

BTW, one of the things that makes me mad, I think, it totally not her fault. Because I LOVE Azumanga Daioh, and whenever I hear "Chiyo" I think "Chiyo-Chan." And I want her to be Chiyo-chan. Lol. sweatdrop
Heheh, I had the same impression with Ch1yo 's nickname biggrin AD rules, but I prefer Lucky Star wink
I have to admit she has a lot of knowledge and she has some unique philosophical views which don't really match each other,but sometimes she writes stuff in that strange kind of english I can't understand, mostly her grammar is a little hard to comprehend for someone who is just learning english. It would be a little boring if there weren't some funny people out there, so I even somewhat like her xd

And I like that guild a lot, it has tons of information, people are nice and it's always interesting. Sadly I don't have a stable connection so I can't really join fully in all those debates, but I like to see how people around the world see religion and religious problems. It opened me a little, because I usually stand on the grounds created by european tradition and sometimes it's hard to understand, for example, Hinduism to me. So using gaia is no more just a manga-doll-dressing-up perversion of an old woman (me) but also a way to learn something. wink  

Raticiel

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 pm
alteregoivy
brainnsoup

The last I saw of IMR was in the Messianic Judaism thread.
Haha, she scares me when she gets angry. I know she doesn't like Christians... No idea how she feels about atheists.

And yeah, I guessed it was CH1YO. >.<
She's either very very smart, the worst debater ever, or the most successful troll that that guild has ever seen. Or a combination of the three.
I don't want to sound gossipy either...
But most of the time she seems to post something completely contrary to what everyone else is saying just to be contrary.
And then when asked for proof she simply repeatedly asserts that she is right and shouldn't be burdened with finding proof.
I don't think I've ever seen her say anything that actually adds to the debate. Just confuse people...

The only way I've found to even debate with her is just to assert that she's wrong and demand proof.
Because I'm pretty sure that she usually doesn't have any most of the time...

XD Yeah, the first time I started debating with her, by the time I got her to actually explain exactly what she meant, I didn't even care anymore and left it to whoever else was left in the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:07 am
Raticiel
alteregoivy

Heheh, I had the same impression with Ch1yo 's nickname biggrin AD rules, but I prefer Lucky Star wink
I have to admit she has a lot of knowledge and she has some unique philosophical views which don't really match each other,but sometimes she writes stuff in that strange kind of english I can't understand, mostly her grammar is a little hard to comprehend for someone who is just learning english. It would be a little boring if there weren't some funny people out there, so I even somewhat like her xd

And I like that guild a lot, it has tons of information, people are nice and it's always interesting. Sadly I don't have a stable connection so I can't really join fully in all those debates, but I like to see how people around the world see religion and religious problems. It opened me a little, because I usually stand on the grounds created by european tradition and sometimes it's hard to understand, for example, Hinduism to me. So using gaia is no more just a manga-doll-dressing-up perversion of an old woman (me) but also a way to learn something. wink

Oops! It wasn't Semiremis, it was you. Sorry about that. ^_^

It is interesting to hear other people's views. I have a little bit of a background in Asian and other Eastern religions, but I know next to nothing about modern Europe, except that there are stronger Atheist communities in certain European countries than in other places around the world. So it's neat to hear what other people believe.  

alteregoivy

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:39 am
User ImageI don't remember why, but a while back I was thinking about that guild, and I thought I remembered being invited to it and accepting the invitation... but for some reason I am not part of the guild. I'm wondering if I was remembering wrong or if I was somehow erased from the member list...User Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:56 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
User ImageI don't remember why, but a while back I was thinking about that guild, and I thought I remembered being invited to it and accepting the invitation... but for some reason I am not part of the guild. I'm wondering if I was remembering wrong or if I was somehow erased from the member list...User Image
Yeah, for some reason I thought I saw you around there before.
Maybe I'm just confusing it with this guild.
Anyway, you should join again! :3

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Raticiel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:35 am
alteregoivy
Raticiel
alteregoivy

Oops! It wasn't Semiremis, it was you. Sorry about that. ^_^

It is interesting to hear other people's views. I have a little bit of a background in Asian and other Eastern religions, but I know next to nothing about modern Europe, except that there are stronger Atheist communities in certain European countries than in other places around the world. So it's neat to hear what other people believe.
No problem wink actually I just wanted to protect her a little wink

I think situation in Europe is a little different than in America because there is not only a variety of nations (that's even quite doubtful considering all migrations and amount of wars on this small continent) but also a variety of law systems in all countries so there are many small groups. Also mentality is more liberal, but that's just my opinion, I'm not that sure how it is in America, because I know it only from popculture and these forums... I think ideology plays smaller role, the main goal of all politicians is money, however some are very curious about their background. Like our president: he is very strict about patriotism, catholicism, conservative ideals. It gives him more enemies than friends.

Still, all big ideologies are alive in a very traditional sense, so all mixes (which are often most reasonable options) are in minority.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm
User Image

I was invited to join before... but I declined because I was too tired for debates.

The guild owner told me that no one will really change their beliefs because of what I say. If no one will be convinced by my arguments, why bother? Isn't the whole point o a debate to convince someone?

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:56 am
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
I was invited to join before... but I declined because I was too tired for debates.

The guild owner told me that no one will really change their beliefs because of what I say. If no one will be convinced by my arguments, why bother? Isn't the whole point o a debate to convince someone?

Well, I think it sort of depends. Even if you don't convince anyone of anything right away, you're still showing them another point of view, and possibly planting the seeds of understanding for later. I know for me I've thought about things said in debate for months or years before actually listening to it, but the point is that I eventually did listen.

Also, even if the people in one guild are stubborn and set in their ways, debating with them can help you find out what arguments are common in their mindset, and possibly have the tools available to successfully persuade someone of the same background who is open to change. I've learned a lot about the Creationists' arguments over there, for example.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff