Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
How would you reimagine Resident Evil? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:30 pm
Let's say Capcom finally comes to their senses and says, "Any half-brained child in the world could come up with a better storyline than us. Let's ask.... THAT person to write the new canon. And that new person is YOU. How would you reimagine the whole series?

Personally, I would go back to the roots, but with less fanciness. As awesome as mansions with painting puzzles may be, what I REALLY loved RE for was the streets, warehouses and labs. So that's the kinds of locations you'd see...
Hmm... I'd keep (or rather bring back) the T-Virus and the zombies... Along with Lickers, Cerberuses and Crows. I wouldn't bother with the giant insects (almost wrote incest XP), since I was never too crazy about them. I'd also bring back the Hunters, but redesign them. Make them less of the perfect gremlins that they were, and a bit uglier. Kinda like the Hunter Betas from RE3, only even less green.

The storyline would probably involve STARS again, and possibly bring back the characters, but even if you have, say, a hottie named Jill, and a blondie named Wesker, I'd change their personalities completely. These are completely new characters, for all intents and purposes.
I'd probably start off with a mission like RE1, but once you land and end up exploring the forest, that's where you actually start playing. There'd be a whole level of you exploring the forest, and only later do you stumble on your first enemies, which are probably just gonna be zombies. Like, the guy who dies first would approach this corpse, and start investigating it, but then the corpse lunges at him and takes a chunk outa him.
The helicopter breaks down, because certain someone sabotaged it, so they can't fly off. So then they find their way into the 'abandoned' facility, which would be kinda like the hospital from Outbreak's Flashback scenario.
But here's where it gets cool. The guy who got bit at the beginning? He doesn't die, oh no. The team ends up basically making a temporary base out of the facility, kinda like in Dino Crisis 1, where the techie guy ends up hacking the computers and stuff like that.
So you end up having the guy who got bit, with you the whole game. And through the game, you'd slowly end up seeing him get sicker and sicker, until somewhere 2/3 into the game he'd turn into a zombie. Of course, by then you'd have witnessed plenty of cinematics, so this guy who turns into a zombie, you actually start giving a s**t about him, which makes his demise that much more heartbreaking.

Other than that, I haven't thought much into it.
The camera would be fixed. No matter what. The game will look like a movie. It doesn't have to be pre-rendered, but it would have to be at least real time fixed camera like in Code Veronica.

Oh and the guy who betrays the team. It's not the leader character, it would be someone who actually acts trustworthy, and you don't go, "Yep, that's a bad guy. No doubt about it."  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:02 am
Biohazard EXTREME
Let's say Capcom finally comes to their senses and says, "Any half-brained child in the world could come up with a better storyline than us. Let's ask.... THAT person to write the new canon. And that new person is YOU. How would you reimagine the whole series?

Personally, I would go back to the roots, but with less fanciness. As awesome as mansions with painting puzzles may be, what I REALLY loved RE for was the streets, warehouses and labs. So that's the kinds of locations you'd see...
Hmm... I'd keep (or rather bring back) the T-Virus and the zombies... Along with Lickers, Cerberuses and Crows. I wouldn't bother with the giant insects (almost wrote incest XP), since I was never too crazy about them. I'd also bring back the Hunters, but redesign them. Make them less of the perfect gremlins that they were, and a bit uglier. Kinda like the Hunter Betas from RE3, only even less green.

The storyline would probably involve STARS again, and possibly bring back the characters, but even if you have, say, a hottie named Jill, and a blondie named Wesker, I'd change their personalities completely. These are completely new characters, for all intents and purposes.
I'd probably start off with a mission like RE1, but once you land and end up exploring the forest, that's where you actually start playing. There'd be a whole level of you exploring the forest, and only later do you stumble on your first enemies, which are probably just gonna be zombies. Like, the guy who dies first would approach this corpse, and start investigating it, but then the corpse lunges at him and takes a chunk outa him.
The helicopter breaks down, because certain someone sabotaged it, so they can't fly off. So then they find their way into the 'abandoned' facility, which would be kinda like the hospital from Outbreak's Flashback scenario.
But here's where it gets cool. The guy who got bit at the beginning? He doesn't die, oh no. The team ends up basically making a temporary base out of the facility, kinda like in Dino Crisis 1, where the techie guy ends up hacking the computers and stuff like that.
So you end up having the guy who got bit, with you the whole game. And through the game, you'd slowly end up seeing him get sicker and sicker, until somewhere 2/3 into the game he'd turn into a zombie. Of course, by then you'd have witnessed plenty of cinematics, so this guy who turns into a zombie, you actually start giving a s**t about him, which makes his demise that much more heartbreaking.

The camera would be fixed. No matter what. The game will look like a movie. It doesn't have to be pre-rendered, but it would have to be at least real time fixed camera like in Code Veronica.

Oh and the guy who betrays the team. It's not the leader character, it would be someone who actually acts trustworthy, and you don't go, "Yep, that's a bad guy. No doubt about it."

You know its funny you mention the whole personality switch. I love Jill but I always thought that her personality was just a tad bit.....flat? It just seems like it could be just....more...you know? And this could probably just be my Wesker inner fan girl, but as awesome as Wesker was a villain, I always wondered what he would be like if he completely switched sides. What would he be like if he was one of the good guys? That might askew everything about him, but since it would be a series reboot I mean why not?

We don't get to see a whole lot of Hunk...maybe he could be the main bad guy behind the scenes since he's usually behind the scene operations anyway? I agree with everything else you said about keeping the monsters like Tyrant etc etc.

As for the viruses, some odd threads back you were talking about how Capcom used to toy with the idea of using OTHER deadly viruses that Umbrella could work with. Ebola was one of them...I think that would be awesome idea that could be incorporated into the new story. The Ebola virus itself is basically a massive quick breakdown of the entire body. So with that...maybe an Ebola monster with the code name Ebonos? *shrugs* And its power is to shoot or spit some type of Ebola acid that acts at a hyper accelerated rate of breaking the body down within mere seconds and can easily be transferred over to some other person. Just an idea...not sure how else it would work. What other deadly viruses are out there? Hmmm maybe Malaria? well...maybe not. Influenza....well....yeah maybe you guys can come up with some better ideas but if the game is mainly around some "virus" then just have different viral monsters? Who knows.

HEY! there could be an AIDS monster *cue Team America song* "AIDS...dun dun dun dun EVERYONE HAS AIDS!... dun dun dun dun dun dun AIDS AIDS AIDS!"

I'm kidding I'm kidding. xD  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Lord Pryo

1,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 am
Biohazard EXTREME

how about if some new company started off on some new research of a new virus and sold if off to some milatry who used it as an experiamental drug but it all went wtong and the soldiers started to turn into zombies and your like one of the few soldiers that did get turn into a zombie and would have to escape the base while fighting zombies and other creatures that got affected by the new virus.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:55 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Everybody! Love! and Peace!

I know it wouldn't really be enough for a full re-imagining, but I think it'd be quite funky to have a RE game that plays like an old game called It Came From The Desert, which is much like the movie Them!

Giants ants are terrorising a isolated desert town, but no-one believes it, so you, the protagonist must shoot around gathering evidence to convince the mayor/sheriff that something is dreadfully amiss, occasionally having to fight off giant ants.

And, again, I doubt it would be substantial enough for a really satisfying full re-imagining, it'd be a nice little distraction to zip around Raccoon City gathering up evidence and battling the living dead, trying to convince a sceptical mayor, a corrupt chief of police while being sabotaged by an evil mega-corporation!

Or something like that anyway. ninja

I'll have a think for a slightly more original idea.

Booyaka!

---------------
● ● ●

Annie Anthrax

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:34 am
I seriously have no idea. I mean, what are they gonna do? Remake RE1... again?

I wouldn't really wanna re-imagine it, because I love it the way it is. Well, was. Maybe a little more in the way of character development. Change the scenario and events of the storyline up so veterens wouldn't be retreading the same familiar ground for a third time around. But I'd still want to stick with the same characters and basic premesis: S.T.A.R.S., Raccoon City, all that jazz. Gameplay would be the real challenge there, because they'd have to find a happy medium to please both the fans of new and old. And this time around, don't ******** the story up. No retconning, and no RE4s.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Yeah, but it's not like it would erase RE1 - 3 from existence. They're still around. But you have the creative control to start Resident Evil completely from scratch. What would you do? What would you change? I mean, don't ******** the story up is an obvious one. But come on, this is supposed to be like a fun creative thread.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Garcian Smith

Distinct Citizen

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:26 pm
In my revised canon you'd see:

Additions:
1: more prequel material that talks about the rest of the STARS team and more about Raccoon City as a whole.
2: Several BRAVO team members allowed to survive mansion. (I found them interesting)
3: Resolution of Steve's body issue.
4: Resolution of Sherry issue
5: More Brian Irons scenes. He's a fascinating villain.
6: Where is Barry?
7: Sequels after Code Veronica would focus on what happened in between 1998 and 2003.
8: Dead Aim does not exist.
9: GS 1 never happened but Ark Becomes a support character.

Additional details:
1: Richard, Enrico, and Kenneth survive. Nothing else changes.
2: Instead of just narrating what happened when Birkin and Wesker were primary researchers at the facility, show scenes of it.

Anything else?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:28 pm
Okay, okay, okay. If I had to completely re-imagine RE, then I would only stick with three criteria that I feel the game should meet.

1.) Resident Evil: Since this is the first game of the reboot, the setting must be a residential area of some sort. And, of course, evil must dwell there. The sequels can take it to the streets, but the first must take place at a residence.

2.) Biohazard: The threat must be biological.

3.) Survival Horror: This very much has to be a horror game. Of course, there will plenty of combat and action, but the main focus has to be horror and survival. That means exploration, investigation, and limited ammo and weaponry. Like the old games, you get trigger happy and you can ******** yourself over when you really need to to put that ammo to good use later. It would play similiar to RE 3.5 where there are still fixed camera angles, but it switches to the over-the-shoulder perspective when aiming firearms or using weapons such as an axe or something.

The storyline of this game would take place in an alternate history in war-torn Europe during either the first World War or WWII. The main setting would be an Orphanage/Hospital (think Mansion/Umbrella facility) secluded high up in the mountains. The main protragonist would be an amnesiac doctor who wakes up alone in a macabre house of horrors. The storyline would slowly be revealed as you progress through the game by way of journals, documents, and flashbacks. You would eventually come to learn that this facility was owned by Umbrella Inc., and that your character was working with a team of doctors there for the purpose of rehabilitating sick children and soldiers injured in the war. There was a terrible flu spreading throughout the orphanage among the children, and the doctors had been tasked with finding the cure. Eventually, after months of hard work, they indeed find a cure for this epidemic. The cure is an experimental microbe that kills this virus. And everything's all good... at first. You will learn of this doctor's relationships and close bonds with some of the children, as well as a select few of his co-workers. So when you learn of everything that happens, not only is it horror, but there's hint of melancholy as well.

One day at dinner, one of the doctors notice one of the children is eating with his left hand, but he has always been right-handed. When pressed, the child just mumbles and hums. Eventually he just stops using his right hand altogether. So they put the kid in physical therapy to diagnose the problem, but when the physical therapist touches his right arm, the kid screams, whales, goes insane and tries to chop is own arm off with a scalpel, severely severing his wrist in the process and dies of blood loss. Eventually more of the children start displaying weird and strange behavior... but each case is unique; has their own specific quirk and insanity. The one thing that each case does share is homocidal as well as suicidal tendancies. The end result is eventually death as the brain inevitably shuts down. But that's only the first stage of the virus. The virus spreads through the air from the dead bodies as they decay...

The doctors get in touch with their superiors at Umbrella asking for more help and staff as the virus spreads throughout the orphanage and the hospital, and is getting harder and harder to control. Then "help" from Umbrella does come... in the form of armed soldiers in gas masks and hazmat suits (one of these dudes has to be an ancestor to HUNK or something) who rough up the infected, forcing needles into their arms and taking blood samples. Then they build a huge barbwire fence around the area, blocking anyone from getting out and quarantining it off before leaving, promising that they'll be back to help. Obviously they're gonna develop and sell this virus to the military for biological warfare.

Then there's the third stage of the virus... after the body has decayed for some time, the virus goes dormant and is no longer carried through the air... and then the body rises from the dead. Yep, zombies. Then the virus could possibly be spread by way of the traditional zombie bite. It's also eventually revealed that the cure that the doctors created mutated the flu-type virus into this. Something far worse... far more EVIL! They name this virus the Tyrant Virus. And so the doctors start burning the bodies of the dead. The main character develops a close relationship with his female collegue during this time, so there's a little love story thrown in there and a little mystery as to her well being as you're playing. You will also see his closest friend slowly going nuts as he becomes infected through flashbacks. He inexplicably begins wrapping his entire face in gauze, claiming he hates the way he looks, before he comes at the main character some time later with an axe, attempting to kill him and his love interest. But they take his gauze off and he goes crazy and forces the axe into his own face. And this is before the whole place goes to hell and gets completely overrun with zombies and infected. Then the main character and the love interest take refuge in a secret room while they desperately search for a cure. They eventually concoct something that will temporarily suppress the first stage of the virus, but by that time, the Umbrella goons come back. With flamethrowers this time, killing infected and uninfected alike. Then they all get killed by zombies and s**t. This is shortly before the events of the actual game begin.

Okay, and then the ending... it is revealed that the main character was infected the entire time throughout the adventure, and that he strangled his love interest to death prior to losing his memory. While he was murdering her, she injected him with the temporary suppressant, which causes his memory loss, and explains why all the enemies attack him throughout the game even though he's infected ('cause it wouldn't work out so well if all the zombies and first stage infected-type were attacking each other). And he's soon going to die. The End.

Woosh, that took a while. So there would be zombies (slow, and faster crimson head types) as well as enemies that can use weapons and s**t. This is both a story and gameplay device in order to try to appeal to both sides of the fanbase. There'll be plenty of zombified military dudes around, so there'll be plenty of guns and stuff to find. The only two problems are that there would be no real monsters (those would come in the later sequels as Umbrella experiments with the virus), and the origins of the virus would be revealed right from the beginning... which I don't know if that's so good. But whatever, there ya have it.  

Thee Stranger

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:20 pm
Garcian Smith
Anything else?

Why does Dead Aim not exist? It's a lot of fun... and actually scary, especially in the sewers.

And my fourth favorite RE overall, despite being so short. >_>;  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:47 pm
Thee Stranger
Okay, okay, okay. If I had to completely re-imagine RE, then I would only stick with three criteria that I feel the game should meet.

1.) Resident Evil: Since is the first game of the reboot, the setting must be a residential area of some sort. And, of course, evil must dwell there. The sequels can take it to the streets, but the first must take place at a residence.

2.) Biohazard: The threat must be biological.

3.) Survival Horror: This very much has to be a horror game. Of course, there will plenty of combat and action, but the main focus has to be horror and survival. That means exploration, investigation, and limited ammo and weaponry. Like the old games, you get trigger happy and you can ******** yourself over when you really need to to put that ammo to good use later. It would play similiar to RE 3.5 where there are still fixed camera angles, but it switches to the over-the-shoulder perspective when aiming firearms or using weapons such as an axe or something.

The storyline of this game would take place in an alternate history in war-torn Europe during either the first World War or WWII. The main setting would be an Orphanage/Hospital (think Mansion/Umbrella facility) secluded high up in the mountains. The main protragonist would be an amnesiac doctor who wakes up alone in a macabre house of horrors. The storyline would slowly be revealed as you progress through the game by way of journals, documents, and flashbacks. You would eventually come to learn that this facility was owned by Umbrella Inc., and that your character was working with a team of doctors there for the purpose of rehabilitating sick children and soldiers injured in the war. There was a terrible flu spreading throughout the orphanage among the children, and the doctors had been tasked with finding the cure. Eventually, after months of hard work, they indeed find a cure for this epidemic. The cure is an experimental microbe that kills this virus. And everything's all good... at first. You will learn of this doctor's relationships and close bonds with some of the children, as well as a select few of his co-workers. So when you learn of everything that happens, not only is it horror, but there's hint of melancholy as well.

One day at dinner, one of the doctors notice one of the children is eating with his left hand, but he has always been right-handed. When pressed, the child just mumbles and hums. Eventually he just stops using his right hand altogether. So they put the kid in physical therapy to diagnose the problem, but when the physical therapist touches his right arm, the kid screams, whales, goes insane and tries to chop is own arm off with a scalpel, severely severing his wrist in the process and dies of blood loss. Eventually more of the children start displaying weird and strange behavior... but each case is unique; has their own specific quirk and insanity. The one thing that each case does share is homocidal as well as suicidal tendancies. The end result is eventually death as the brain inevitably shuts down. But that's only the first stage of the virus. The virus spreads through the air from the dead bodies as they decay...

The doctors get in touch with their superiors at Umbrella asking for more help and staff as the virus spreads throughout the orphanage and the hospital, and is getting harder and harder to control. Then "help" from Umbrella does come... in the form of armed soldiers in gas masks and hazmat suits (one of these dudes has to be an ancestor to HUNK or something) who rough up the infected forcing needles into their arms and taking blood samples. Then they build a huge barbwire fence around the area, blocking anyone from getting out and quarantining it off before leaving, promising that they'll be back to help. Obviously they're gonna develop and sell this virus to the military for biological warfare.

Then there's the third stage of the virus... after the body has decayed for some time, the virus goes dormant and is no longer carried through the air... and then the body rises from the dead. Yep, zombies. It's also eventually revelaed that the cure that the doctors created mutated the flu-type virus into this. Something far worse... far more EVIL! They name this virus the Tyrant Virus. And so the doctors start burning the bodies of the dead. The main character develops a close relationship with his female collegue during this time, so there's a little love story thrown in there and a little mystery as to her well being as you're playing. You will also see his closest friend slowly going nuts as he becomes infected through flashbacks. He inexplicably begins wrapping his entire face in gauze, claiming he hates the way he looks, before he comes at the main character some time later with an axe, attempting to kill him and his love interest. But they take his gauze off and he goes crazy and forces the axe into his own face. And this is before the whole place goes to hell and gets completely overrun with zombies and infected. Then the main character and the love interest take refuge in a secret room while they desperately search for a cure. They eventually concoct something that will temporarily suppress the first stage of the virus, but by that time, the Umbrella goons come back. With flamethrowers this time, killing infected and uninfected alike. Then they all get killed by zombies and s**t. This is shortly before the events of the actual game begin.

Okay, and then the ending... it is revelead that the main character was infected the entire time throughout the adventure, and that he strangled his love interest to death prior to losing his memory, which was caused by the virus. And he's soon going to die. The End.

Woosh, that took a while. So there would be zombies (slow and faster crimson head types) as well as enemies that can use weapons and s**t. This is both a story and gameplay device in order to try to appeal to both sides of the fanbase. There'll be plenty of zombified military dudes around, so there'll be plenty of guns and stuff to find. The only two problems are that there would be no real monsters (those would come in the later sequels as Umbrella experiments with the virus), and the origins of the virus would be revealed right from the beginning... which I don't know if that's so good. But whatever, there ya have it.

I got excited with each sentence I kept reading! That's an awesome scenario. Thanks for posting everyone. ^_^  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:16 pm
And the credit goes to my speech for bringing all that out of Thee Stranger. ninja

You know, there really aren't enough games out there that are made during that time period that aren't war FPS games.
I wanna see a 1910s survival horror game.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:37 am
Canas Renvall
Garcian Smith
Anything else?

Why does Dead Aim not exist? It's a lot of fun... and actually scary, especially in the sewers.

And my fourth favorite RE overall, despite being so short. >_>;

Storyline wise I just wanted to get rid of the Spencer rain incident.
Really, Dead Aim would "exist" but it wouldn't be canon.
The existence of US STRATCOM creates huge plot holes.  

Garcian Smith

Distinct Citizen

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am
Garcian Smith
My only real problem with Dead Aim is Morpheus and his tits and high heels.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:13 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Garcian Smith
My only real problem with Dead Aim is Morpheus and his tits and high heels.

LOL god this made me laugh out loud in class. ive got to stop making a habit of reading responses like this when im at school xD  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:32 am
Heheheheh...
Although still, it's pretty sad when you could say, "That guy with a black coat and grey hair who has tits and high heels is more masculine than that other guy with a black coat and grey hair."
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff