Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My mom brough this up.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:07 pm
When me and my mom were pulling to stop at a stop sign she randomly brought up, "I should have you baptized into the Russian church."
Not too sure why, but my heart almost stopped. It'll be a cold day in hell when I join, let alone attend a church. But I just can't tell my mom I'm not a Christian and I refuse to be baptized. (IIIIII just can't!)
What do I say when she brings this up again? I don't wanna piss her off/ break her heart forever!

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:29 am
Tell her you appreciate her concern, but maybe tell her that you don't like public displays and want to be a more private person? Or tell her that you're going to find God on your own time? Tell her that it's not up to her to get you baptized, it's up to you, and you're not ready yet.

Maybe something in there you could say and not break her heart. sweatdrop Good luck.  

alteregoivy

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:57 am
Well, you should tell her you're an atheist someday, and wheter you like it or not, she might go batshit insane on you. Or not.

When parents just don't want to accept their beloved child is an atheist and realize there is no way to change their minds they might resort to insults and saying that YOUR NOT AN ATHEIST, YOU'RE JUST CONFUDSED/REBELIOUS.
So I if you're planning on telling them this anytime soon, be ready. Of course, I don't know your family, but religion usually brings people's demons out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:06 am
[-Erik-]
Well, you should tell her you're an atheist someday, and wheter you like it or not, she might go batshit insane on you. Or not.

When parents just don't want to accept their beloved child is an atheist and realize there is no way to change their minds they might resort to insults and saying that YOUR NOT AN ATHEIST, YOU'RE JUST CONFUDSED/REBELIOUS.
So I if you're planning on telling them this anytime soon, be ready. Of course, I don't know your family, but religion usually brings people's demons out.

My dad is an agnostic that has tried a lot of religions and he said none of them seemed right. So I think he'd be fine. But my mom would go "batshit insane."  

I Am A Mountie

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 am
what's so great about baptizing
i was baptize
and well it was just water =/

((yeah it's suppose to be "holy" and "cleansing of sins"  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:18 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor
what's so great about baptizing
i was baptize
and well it was just water =/

((yeah it's suppose to be "holy" and "cleansing of sins"

yeah

if you really feel uncomfortable then just tell your mom that you respect her beliefs and will tolerate them, and that you hope she will do the same  

dl1371

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:25 am
The Vanilla Bean
[-Erik-]

My dad is an agnostic that has tried a lot of religions and he said none of them seemed right. So I think he'd be fine. But my mom would go "batshit insane."

Hey, at least you'd have some support comming from him!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:10 pm
I'd suggest just flat-out telling her your atheist.

If you wait for juuuust the right moment it's going to tear you up inside, if you try to hide the fact that you are then you'll be filled with guilt.

If your dad will understand then tell him first. If your afraid of your mother going bat-s**t crazy then just tell your dad to tell her for you. She won't have an outburst on the spot, but atleast it will hover in her mind for a while before you two come in contact again.

Just keep a look out for her if you do, I've had my grandma try to convert me for a while now.

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:35 pm
If she says that she is going to have ye batized just tell her you would like too think about it a little becuase it is a big commitment.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games