Reply The Ideas Center
Developing Characters

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MissKenz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:38 pm
Hey everyone. I was just wondering when you write stories how do you develop your charcters, and how well do you get to know them/how far do you go?
For example, I pretend that they are real people. I carry out conversations with them, and I know everything about them. Oh and when they do something really stupid I stop talking to them for a few days. I feel like I don't know what they will do because in my mind they are real. But that's just me. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:11 am
I daydream how the character acts and what they are up to. Before I go to bed, I do the same thing and imagine myself either as that character or as somebody interacting with that character. I try and hold that in my memory when I am actually writing and mold how they talk and act around how I have developed them in my head.
During daily events, I wonder how a character would react to something or what their opinion on something would be.  

Hybrid Defect

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:57 am
This is relevant to the Ideas Center. Moved.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:36 pm
Hybrid Defect
I daydream how the character acts and what they are up to. Before I go to bed, I do the same thing and imagine myself either as that character or as somebody interacting with that character. I try and hold that in my memory when I am actually writing and mold how they talk and act around how I have developed them in my head.
During daily events, I wonder how a character would react to something or what their opinion on something would be.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who daydreamed with my characters. smile

I imagine them as real people, they always have a lot more backstory than ever gets into the plot. For me they have to be real otherwise I can't write them. They have to have a proper voice, otherwise they feel false somehow.

Its a lot like when I write fanfic, if I can't hear the actor's/character's voice saying the words then I know I haven't captured the character correctly.  

GeekyTanta

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200

Epic Irony

Profitable Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 pm
Usually, my characters are actually based on people I know in real life, at least half-way. So those ones are easy. The characters that arent based on someone real, are usually one of my "alter-egos" or something, some part of me that I feel isn't being expressed properly. So... all of my characters, I actually already know quite personally, which makes it all rather easy.  
The Ideas Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games