Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Need help for a story

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Of the two below, which one sounds better to you?
  1st
  2nd
View Results

XI S i l v e r IX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:49 pm
Well, I've been writing a story and, even though I refuse to talk much about it, I've come to halt on wondering which one sounds better as a beginning sentence for this particular story in mind.

Here are the one's I've come down to believe are the most important.

1)
It was a dark and starry night when the boy was born.

or

2)
It was a starry night when the boy was born.

Which one sounds better to you?

Thank you for your time.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:33 pm
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItWasADarkAndStormyNight

I don't know what you're trying to get at, but the second will always trump the first. The first just made me wince. >_> It sounds too much like our cliche line. Don't ever touch it again.

Now that I've gotten to the point, I can relax. ^^ Don't worry too much about opening lines. It will come to you. Just remember, the first thing you need to say should deal with the character development of your main. Seriously, we want to know about who we'll be following, and it can get somewhat annoying if we hear too much that isn't about the MC.

So here's my advice: Relax! Just jump in and have fun with it! Don't worry about every single line; that's what the second draft is for. Don't get hung up on a single line, okay? heart  

Serenity Reed
Crew

forevermyself07

4,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:19 pm
I think it kind of matters on the story... What I mean is if it's a horror or a tragedy story go with the dark and starry night. If it's a happier story then go with starry night. That's just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:07 pm
I'd have to agree with Ser - the first one is pretty cliche and I'd personally stay away from it. Besides anything else, it's starry, thus night, thus automatically dark. razz  

charbookwyrm

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff