Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Evolution and the genesis of life

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:50 am
Hey, guys, I think I need a little help...

I know how evolution works and why it works. I also know it's been proven that you can make very complex protein compounds just by simulating the conditions of Earth at the dawn of our planet.

What I don't understand is what evidence (if any) there is to prove that DNA can arise from those conditions and begin to self-replicate. I also don't understand how DNA can then jump to making a single-celled organism.

This trips me up every time I'm in a conversation with a Creationist. Any help?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:10 am
Not ALL forms of DNA can self replicate.

Evidence was formed when a man was testing his hypothesis by shocking a mixture of chemicals that were only available on primitive earth with electricity.

The chemicals are as followed

Quote:
-Methane (CH4)

-Ammonia (NH3)

-Water (H2O)

-Hydrogen (H2)

The results were amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. It was later discovered that other energies also can excite gases and produce all 20 amino acids.

Quote:
-Electricity

-Ultraviolet light

-Heat

-Shock

DNA doesn't jump to making a single-celled organism, it's rather created chemically and if odds are in favor it might clump together to create some sort of biological mass of goo.

EDIT:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-primordial-soup.htm

Quote:
The process would have been very gradual, as the acids increased in complexity and joined with each other in new ways. As living organisms emerged, they also had a direct impact on the environment and subsequently their own evolution, especially when organisms started photosynthesizing and producing oxygen as a byproduct. The production of oxygen changed the atmosphere so radically that the conditions which first created life on Earth would never be able to be replicated in the modern natural environment.

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

dl1371

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:51 am
i think they did an experiment once that duplicated the enviroment of pre-life earth, and they created some organic compounds from the experiment that would eventually lead to DNA
i forgot what it was called though sweatdrop
sorry  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:59 am
dl1371
i think they did an experiment once that duplicated the enviroment of pre-life earth, and they created some organic compounds from the experiment that would eventually lead to DNA
i forgot what it was called though sweatdrop
sorry

Primordial Soup theory.

See my post above for details.

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:35 am
Okay, I knew about proof for creating proteins and such. I guess it was the process from random group of proteins to living, self-replicating organism I didn't understand. Thanks for the info. Though I still don't think I could effectively express the argument in debate. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:07 pm
alteregoivy
Okay, I knew about proof for creating proteins and such. I guess it was the process from random group of proteins to living, self-replicating organism I didn't understand. Thanks for the info. Though I still don't think I could effectively express the argument in debate. sweatdrop

The thing that you need to remember is that there really is no fine line for what constitutes life and what doesn't. I don't think there's an specific part of that whole process of abiogenesis where anyone would be able to pinpoint "That is life!". We can't even figure out viruses, which evolved from the same things we did, so how could we figure out the biological status of a bunch of goop?  

Lethkhar

MiniSiets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 pm
alteregoivy
I know how evolution works and why it works. I also know it's been proven that you can make very complex protein compounds just by simulating the conditions of Earth at the dawn of our planet.

Just being a little nitpicky here, but they aren't really "complex" protein compounds by my understanding. The Miller-Urey experiments simply demonstrated that organic matter (amino acids and the building blocks of life) can be produced from previously inorganic matter when applying electricity to certain chemicals under the right conditions (likely the same conditions that Earth used to be like). This is a huge step in developing a workable theory on abiogenesis (the origins of life), but we still have yet to fully create life from scratch. Now we just need to find a way to get these building blocks working together.

Quote:
What I don't understand is what evidence (if any) there is to prove that DNA can arise from those conditions and begin to self-replicate.

The important thing to recognize here is that none of this needs to be proven in order to demonstrate evolutionary theory as valid. There is already an overwhelming heap of evidence that shows that evolution is occurring now and has been occurring for a long time. How the process first started is irrelevant and unnecessary with regards to verifying the theory. If a creationist keeps insisting that it is necessary to point out how it first started in order to prove it, then you can simply point out then that the creationist must not believe that the moon exists since no one really knows where it came from and how it fell into Earth's orbit.

This is a common tactic by fundamentalists. The creationist is basically conflating two different things: Abiogenesis and Evolution. Evolution addresses how life has diversified over time, NOT the origins of life.

Quote:
I also don't understand how DNA can then jump to making a single-celled organism.

DNA is fairly complex and doesn't just form out of the blue. Most scientists believe that more primitive and strictly RNA-based organisms like certain forms of bacteria were likely the first living organisms. They were not like other single-celled organisms that we have now which are modern eukaryote cells with an endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi apparatus, and various organelles. It wasn't until later when DNA was acquired and developed, and since DNA is more stable than RNA, this is what allowed more complex organisms to form. Beyond that, I don't know any of the specifics or details of how it happens, so you'll probably need to pick up a biology book that talks about the origins of self-replication if you want anything more. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:02 am
MiniSets, thank you for the in-depth explanation! I really appreciate it; it helped me understand a lot. blaugh  

alteregoivy

Artto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:00 am
You may want to look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items