Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The reward of Heaven VS The punishment of Hell Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:23 pm
Recently I was thinking about the concepts of Heaven and Hell. I've always thought of the two as complete opposites, but then I imagined this hypothetical scenario:
Imagine yourslef in a room with a door. Let's say you have a choice. You can stay in the room and cease to exist, or choose to enter the door. But there's a catch. There's a 50% chance of Heaven and a 50% chance of Hell behind the door. Once you enter it you cannot go back. What would you do? Would you enter the door, or stay in the room? I would definitly stay in the room, and this is because the reward of infinite bliss pales in comparison of eternal torment. So, instead of the carrot of Heaven and stick of Hell, we are acctually only left with the fear of eternal punishment. The main reason you would obey God's rules would only be the punishment of Hell, thus the idea of Heaven as a reward becomes practicly unnecessary.

So Christians would only be obeying God in fear of Hell, rather then the anticipation of Heaven. In my view this makes Christianity a completely fear-based religion, which is yet another blow to the idea of a loving God.

I was wondering what your thoughts on this idea are.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:55 pm
id go through the door, if i end up in heaven, id tell god what a screwy job hes done to the world to his face, and jump down to hell, if i ended in hell, well, id rather spend eternity then submit to the fascist in the sky  

dl1371

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:27 pm
Hmm, I do agree with you. Does this prove that Christians are deceiving themselves when they say that they don't fear hell because they know God will send them to heaven?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 pm
I mean the only option you're left with is striving towards heaven, but not because of heaven being so awesome, but because hell is so horrible!  

Artto

dl1371

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:08 pm
Artto
I mean the only option you're left with is striving towards heaven, but not because of heaven being so awesome, but because hell is so horrible!

supporting a fascist is even worse  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 pm
dl1371
id go through the door, if i end up in heaven, id tell god what a screwy job hes done to the world to his face, and jump down to hell, if i ended in hell, well, id rather spend eternity then submit to the fascist in the sky
XD No you wouldn't.  

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

dl1371

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:07 pm
brainnsoup
dl1371
XD No you wouldn't.

wanna bet?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:25 pm
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
XD No you wouldn't.

wanna bet?
Alright, let's set this scenario up.
You find yourself standing before God- the almighty, all-knowing being that you do not believe to exist. And you know that you have defied Him. And yet you still by some great fluke are accepted into Heaven. Eternity of bliss and love. Eternity. That's a really, really long time.
But instead, you would take it upon your very mortal self to criticize God. You would give all of that up to tell Him what a shitty job he's done with humanity and choose an eternity in Hell. Endless suffering. Endless torture. For eternity. That's forever. Forever and ever.
That's what you would do.
No.
Like most atheists who make that claim, you would probably piss yourself and beg for forgiveness.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

dl1371

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 pm
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
XD No you wouldn't.

wanna bet?
You find yourself standing before God- the almighty, all-knowing being that you do not believe to exist. And you know that you have defied Him. And yet you still by some great fluke are accepted into Heaven. Eternity of bliss and love. Eternity. That's a really, really long time.
But instead, you would take it upon your very mortal self to criticize God. You would give all of that up to tell Him what a shitty job he's done with humanity and choose an eternity in Hell. Endless suffering. Endless torture. For eternity. That's forever. Forever and ever.
No.
Like most atheists who make that claim, you would probably piss yourself and beg for forgiveness.

yeah, at first i might beg for forgiveness, but god's gonna send me to hell anyway for being an atheist, then since i knew i was going to hell, id give him something to rest on his conscience, and tell him what a shitty job hes done with the world
also, i dont believe in eternities, so it wouldnt be endless suffering, at least as far as i believe, and what you find out, only matters when you're looking back  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 pm
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
XD No you wouldn't.

wanna bet?
No.

yeah, at first i might beg for forgiveness, but god's gonna send me to hell anyway for being an atheist, then since i knew i was going to hell, id give him something to rest on his conscience, and tell him what a shitty job hes done with the world
also, i dont believe in eternities, so it wouldnt be endless suffering, at least as far as i believe, and what you find out, only matters when you're looking back
So you would tell God off only after you were condemned to Hell?
Somehow that doesn't sound as heroic. XD
I'm not trying to pick on you, I just think it's funny when people say they would pick Hell over Heaven to make a statement.
Pretty big talk for someone not standing, awe-struck, before his creator.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

dl1371

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:54 pm
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
XD No you wouldn't.

wanna bet?
No.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I just think it's funny when people say they would pick Hell over Heaven to make a statement.

if i believed in eternity then i would tell him off after i was condemned to hell, otherwise, no, you see, the whole idea is based off the idea that eternity doesnt exist, "i dont care if im burning in hell, in _____ years nothing that ever happened will matter
also, what would you do if you were standing, awe-struck before Hitler if he was all powerful  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:05 pm
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
XD No you wouldn't.

wanna bet?
No.

if i believed in eternity then i would tell him off after i was condemned to hell, otherwise, no, you see, the whole idea is based off the idea that eternity doesnt exist, "i dont care if im burning in hell, in _____ years nothing that ever happened will matter
also, what would you do if you were standing, awe-struck before Hitler if he was all powerful
If eternity doesn't exist, then where do you expect to go after Hell? Back to Heaven? Because that would be pretty awkward  

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:44 am
You could also consider the fact that after the first few years, you'd get used to the pain and it wouldn't be so bad.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:02 am
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
dl1371
brainnsoup
No.

If eternity doesn't exist, then where do you expect to go after Hell? Back to Heaven? Because that would be pretty awkward

nowhere, its like being knocked out but you never come to
just like what happens after you die
i also think Lethkhar has a valid point, after a couple of years, or even days you would get used to it, i mean think about it, if you put your hand in cup of boiling water and you can't take it out, sure it'll hurt for a while, but after a couple minutes it'll stop hurting

oh yeah, you never answered my question  

dl1371

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas