Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
Coincidence?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:08 am
I wouldn't go so far as to say that this was Caused by anything but I could imagine that it might. Like Karma

I went to work the other day and my co-worker said that this person was working in our dept. for the day and he was really cute! The day before I had a conversation with someone in the guild about crush's and the concept of having someone to talk to at work... seemed kind of appealing. It would be nice to have someone to talk to at work and if they are single *shrug* I started thinking about this... and I decided that it wouldn't hurt for me to put on some eye shadow.
This is about the laziest approach to putting on makeup I could manage but just in case he was nice... why not?
First the eye shadow gets in my eyes. I'm not sure how. It happened right before I saw him and I'd been wearing it for a little while and there was no consequence.
So I see him and he wasn't what I expected. I feel completely silly. Latter I start thinking about it again, the conversation I had and the eye shadow, and I get splashed in the eyes with water. Only the eyes nothing else. I opened a container and I didn't expect there to be any water on the lid.
It seems like a highly ironic coincidence and strange timing.

I'm taking this as a sign that I shouldn't try to date people at work or maybe at all.

Other strange coincidences are that every single person who had my phone number (this isn't a very impressive number - 5 people) called me within a half hour period of time while I was thinking that I wanted to talk to people but I didn't have my phone on me.

Other things like this happen occasionally and I wonder if they are just coincidences or not. When I want something... sometimes it may happen but not in the way I want it to. Its not like I'm "trying" just things happen. Like I'm hungry and food appears. I haven't eaten all day and thats when they are giving out free muffins or whatever. I lost my debit card and the day I ran out of food in my fridge I was given a coupon for a free pizza and a bag of pistachio's.
They seem pretty mundane and yet have a sort of strange synchronicity that's hard not to notice.

Do things like this happen to you? Do you think they have meaning or not? Do you think that if you pay attention to things like this you will notice them more/ attribute meaning to them that isn't there?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:54 pm
To tell you the truth, I don't believe in coincidences, partly because stuff like this happens to me and other people around me all the time, partly because I use omens for divination (and this has a weird impact on your world view, much like studying to be a doctor and suddenly you understand every little ups and downs of your body and you always think you are sick) and partly because I'm a fatalistic b*****d. Yes, it may sound cliché but I believe everything happens for a reason and that there is a grand plan behind all of this yada yada yada... One of the weirdest "coincidences" that happened to me was when I was 6-7 and I played with the telephone pushing random buttons when I called a friend of my mom (whose number I didn't know) in whose house we would be going in about an hour for a coffee and my mom wanted to talk to. What are the chances? 1 in a thousand-something (we used to call numbers using 5 digits then)?  

Saliman Albus

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:36 pm
I have mixed feelings about coincidence vs. predetermination. I want to believe in free will and its hard to do if you track every single change that ever exists. Its like correlation causation issues.
Its hard to track all the various influences  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 am
this glitch is frustrating  

Ishtar Shakti

The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games