Reply Pokémon Defenders
Best Contest Movesets

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kass Bennon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:26 pm
Hey peeps, I'm setting this up as a place for everyone to find good movesets for winning contests. Please share your best movesets with the rest of us so everyone's pokemon can have pretty ribbons too. 3nodding

Contests are a new feature that are in Ruby and Sapphire, they allow you to compete in a non-physical way with pokemon that you cannot battle in the game. Every contest is different, the contestants in a contest are random, I believe, so you can restart and have a whole new bunch of competitors.

There are five different types of contest; cute, beauty, smart, tough, and cool. Each of your pokemon's battle moves is also a move that can be used in a contest. To see which of your pokemon's moves fit into what categories, go to your pokemon's summary and press the > button three times. Selecting one of the moves will give you more information on the effects it will have in a contest.

There's also different ranks for each type of contest. Normal, Super, Hyper, and Master. Pokemon cannot compete in one until they've won a ribbon in the rank ahead of it, meaning that your Slaking cannot compete in a Hyper-rank Toughness contest until it has won Normal and Super-rank Toughness contests.

In contests, some moves make 'combos' when combined with other moves. My Swampert has won two beauty contests using the combo Surf, then Dive. You'd know if you had the beginnings of a combo if the judge 'looked at your pokemon expectantly'. When it's time to chose your next move, a different move (the second half of the combo) will be highlighted in pink. It's best to chose it. wink But there's not always a move highlighted in pink, so then you would just pick whatever move you think is best.

So now that I'm done rambling about contests (dammit, I forgot about the pokeblocks), I'm leaving you all to post any questions, or possibly some killer movesets for winning contests. I'm looking for low-level Skitty cuteness contest movesets, by the way. 3nodding Now go to it.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:21 pm
Oooo, coolies. I have some Contest movesets. 3nodding

For the moves, it's:
Attack Name, Appeal Points(AP), Counter-Appeal Points(JAM), Description.

Combos are highlighted in red.

Contest: Smart
Pokémon: Leaf the Sceptile, level55
Total Contest Ribbons Won: 4
Highest Contest Ribbon Won: Smart Contest Master Rank winner
Moves: Leaf Blade, Cool, AP: 3, JAM: 0, Affected by how well the appeal in front goes.
Pursuit, Smart, AP: 2, JAM: 1, Badly startles all Pokémon that made good appeals.
Giga Drain, Smart, AP: 2, JAM: 1, Startles the Pokémon that has the Judge's attention.
Quick Attack, Cool, AP: 3, JAM: 0, The next appeal can be made earlier next turn.

Contest: Beauty
Pokémon: Mickey the Azumarill, level50
Highest Contest Ribbon Won: Beauty Contest Master Rank Winner
Moves:
Surf, Beauty, AP: 3, JAM: 0, Affected by how well the appeal in front goes.
Rollout, Tough, AP: 3, JAM: 0, Temporarily stops the crowd from growing excited.
Dive, Beauty, AP: 2, JAM: 0, Can avoid being startled by others once.
Bubblebeam, Beauty, AP: 1, JAM: 3, Badly startles those who have made appeals.

Contest: Cool
Pokémon: Beaky the Swellow, level50
Highest Contest Ribbons Won: Cool Contest Master Rank Winner
Moves: Peck, Cool, AP: 4, JAM: 0, A highly appealing move.
Fly, Smart, AP: 1, JAM: 0, Can avoid being startled by others.
Wing Attack, Cool, AP: 2, JAM: 0, Works well if it's the same type as the one before it.
Aerial Ace, Cool, AP: 2, JAM: 0, The appeal works great if performed first.

And I battle with these Pokémon, too.

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

Kass Bennon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:59 am
That's cool. I've won the first two beauty contests with my Swampert, using only surf and dive. Once I realised it was a combo, I also realised I could win with it. mrgreen

I've also won two beauty contests with my Groudon, its moves were Fire Blast, Earthquake, Eruption, and Slash. I had to keep using Fire Blast and Eruption because I think they're the only beauty-type moves, but that's okay.

I've also won two Smart contests with my Flygon. It knows Dragonbreath, and three other moves that I don't remember. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:26 am
Good contester: Barboach. Use Water Sport or Mud Sport, and then Water Gun if I remember right. Keep repeating that. He'll win easily! (At least over here.)  

Flanny-Chan

Pokémon Defenders

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff