Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The word of God shall not be throwneth aroundeth

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:35 pm
The other day, I was in class preparing for the morning announcements.
This meant we were preparing for tomorrow's video to inform the entire school on topics and other jazz.
Now, it was like any other day, in a way.
I was watching on how the video preparation team did their work, considering there are about ten teams who do a job and video preperation was my weak point from lack of experience, and the weirdest thing happened.
I asked if we had a script ready and my friend got this metal flexible thing and slapped me in the stomach, saying
" That's thinking with your dip stick, jiffy! "
Now, I got the joke and thought it was funny but this is where another problem came in.
I laughed yet in anger grunts, said " God damnit. " Considering it ******** hurt.
Now, the video preparation person turned around and said,
" Do NOT say that again. "
I was confused so I said, " Damnit? "
No, of course it was the other word.
" No God. Do not say that around me or my friends or I will hurt you. "

Even though that was extremely rude and I had no problem in respecting her wishes, there were two things wrong with this...
1.) I'm not allowed to say it but they can?
* Considering they said the words five minutes ago. *

2.)Why is it SO BAD if I say it?

Now before answering the question, take note that I was the minority of the group and they ALL KNEW I was Atheist.
There was a Bi, a Chinese person, a Hindu, a Muslim, and possible other categorized people in the group, and I'm the only one who can't say the two words?

Now, from reading this, you and I can conclude they don't want me to say this because I don't believe in God.
After this happened, I got to thinking today.
Why is it that Christians have SO MUCH self-pride in their beliefs?
Look at Churches and Christmas and Christmas carolers and the Christian channel and the pledge of the country all the other fun jazz we all know about.
Why is it that they are so ******** strict about their religion?
They must flash their beliefs around whenever possible, they must tell people in subliminal messages their beliefs, they must make strict laws about how the word God is used, and there is probably a possible LIST that can be made here,
The worst problem is really the word God.
Use it in curses all you want but God forbid if you write it on paper and throw it away or a non-religious person says the word with a curse?
I don't read the dollar bill and see " In Evolution we Trust ".

I really just don't understand the hypocrisy in all of this.

Discuss:
Religion, the word "God", Red Scare, Christianity, and Kanye West.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:53 pm
I'd have just said "Well that's mighty Christian of you."

Xiporah

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 pm
lol, this person threatened to hurt you? I really don't know how i'd react to that situation.. The word god to christians is almost like the name of a dead friend, like jesus, i guess. It's all really odd to me 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:56 pm
say that if they hurt you that theyre going to hell for violence

then say god damit again
thats what i did when some kid said that i shouldnt say "Oh my god"
it surprisingly worked really well  

dl1371

dl1371

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:01 pm
2 more things
1 i noticed that they bleeped out the word god on the radio this morning(kinda relates, but not really)
and 2 youre little picture is based on(or this is based on it) someone in the zOMG forum has a sig that says
Quote:
Yo, Shallow Seas, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Hive World is the best instanced area of all time(another kinda irrelevant thing)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:46 pm
Wow, I didn't even know that atheists saying "God" was considered offensive by religious people. confused

That's really twisted. In fact, that makes me rather upset. I guess I'd just roll my eyes and replace the word "God" with something ridiculous the next time. Or maybe just try something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o013j1iuv2c  

Lethkhar

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:22 am
Lol. I've noticed before that if someone just says "damn," then that's cool. But if someone dares to say "Goddamn" then that's bad?

...They mean the EXACT SAME THING!! Damn literally means "condemn to Hell." I would think "Goddamn" just puts the wrath of God behind the condemnation, you know? It still essentially means the same thing.

The reason for the pride thing all goes back to the Ten Commandments.

Me? Unless it's around people I know very well, I tend not to cuss. I don't want to expose children within earshot to foul language, especially as it might piss off their parents, and some people don't want to hear that sort of language, and I'm cool with that. But threats? Come on. Can't we be a little more adult about this?

I think a good response would be, "Alright, I won't use your god's name, as long as you don't talk about stuff I don't want to hear either."  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 pm
alteregoivy
Lol. I've noticed before that if someone just says "damn," then that's cool. But if someone dares to say "Goddamn" then that's bad?

...They mean the EXACT SAME THING!! Damn literally means "condemn to Hell." I would think "Goddamn" just puts the wrath of God behind the condemnation, you know? It still essentially means the same thing.

The reason for the pride thing all goes back to the Ten Commandments.

Me? Unless it's around people I know very well, I tend not to cuss. I don't want to expose children within earshot to foul language, especially as it might piss off their parents, and some people don't want to hear that sort of language, and I'm cool with that. But threats? Come on. Can't we be a little more adult about this?

I think a good response would be, "Alright, I won't use your god's name, as long as you don't talk about stuff I don't want to hear either."

I like that idea.

"Don't you EVER, EVER use the word "Reason" like that again!" scream  

Lethkhar

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 pm
Keep using that word and prove her how much of a good christian she really is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:47 am
dl1371
2 more things
1 i noticed that they bleeped out the word god on the radio this morning(kinda relates, but not really)
and 2 youre little picture is based on(or this is based on it) someone in the zOMG forum has a sig that says
Quote:
Yo, Shallow Seas, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Hive World is the best instanced area of all time(another kinda irrelevant thing)
User ImageThey are both based on the Kanye West meme... he interrupted Taylor Swift's acceptance speech at the VMAs and was like, "Yo Taylor, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time!" So now everyone uses him as a meme.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Anyway. Yeah, I don't see a difference between "damn" and God damn," since technically only a god is supposed to have the power to damn something, right? I think most religious folk are just afraid to say "God damn" because they think that lighting will strike or something.User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Unrelenting Bloodlust

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:49 pm
The get offended because in the bible it says "Thou shall not use the lord's name in vein." By saying god dammit, you're breaking on of their laws. 'Their' being the key word there. Not our laws. Therefore we've done nothing wrong =]

Oh, and another reason they get offended so easily and try to push their religion with such pride and enthusiasm is this simple fact: Everything they believe is based purely on faith, not truth or fact. To question their religion is to question their faith. This plants doubt in their mind- the resulting action is anger.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games