Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist Bus Campaign Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is the Atheist Bus Campaign a good idea?
  Yes, of course!
  I don't like the message/campaign itself, but it has good aims.
  No, I think we're going about this entirely the wrong way.
  No, this is atheist extremism. How dare they?!
View Results

[neon.zombie]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:12 pm
Greetings atheists (and whoever else...!),

With the recent launch of the NZABC (New Zealand Atheist Bus Campaign), there has been quite a lot of attention being given to atheists in NZ media - or rather, Christians' reactions to atheists. If you're not aware, the atheist bus campaign began in the UK, and basically aims to spread awareness of atheist and humanist approaches to life with the slogan "There's probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" being shown on the sides of buses.

As you can probably imagine, this has caused a bit of a stir in NZ, just like everywhere else that the campaign has reached. The main point that struck me about the debates over the campaign is that many religious people seem to believe that this is an example of "fundamentalist atheism", or some sort of "extremist atheism" - that is, that we are being unreasonably harsh in trying to spread our 'good news'. Hmm, sound familiar?

I'd like to know what you think about this. I personally think it's about time New Zealand's atheists were heard, and I don't think there is a negative aspect to the campaign at all. If we were going to address issues of extremism, offence and brainwashing, I think that the Christians would have a lot to answer for, first.

~Ana  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:20 pm
To be honest, I believe the America I live in is called "The Great Melding Pot" for no reason.
America is suppose to be a place where EVERYONE is suppose to live where their beliefs aren't just disrespected publicly.
I'm tired of this Christianity publication s**t being spread around as much as anyone else.
( Huge, a** churches, religious schools, bill-boards, commercials, merchandise, ect... )
Just because they do it doesn't mean we should as-well. :
Then we would be just like the internet, covered in ADs everywhere.
I really just think NO spiritual beliefs should be spread instead of all of them.
so no, I don't like this Atheist Bus idea UNLESS it was used to just get rid of the Red Scare act and what it made.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Artto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 pm
I think the whole point of the campaign is to give some reassurance to atheists and make it easier for them to "come out".  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:20 am
You make a good point, Captain_Shinzo. It's a fine line between trying to spread a positive message, and just contributing to the sort of 'attacks' that we resent from the religious - no matter how nicely we word the message, if it basically goes against what they believe (or what we believe in an opposite situation), well... heads will roll!

But I do think it's fantastic that atheists are being encouraged to 'come out' - we need all the encouragement we can get! I'm out to everybody except for the one person who it really matters to...  

[neon.zombie]

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:05 pm
[neon.zombie]

But I do think it's fantastic that atheists are being encouraged to 'come out' - we need all the encouragement we can get! I'm out to everybody except for the one person who it really matters to...

I agree with you here. Atheism should atleast spread out, alittle. Where there is religious prejudism, a balance of such prejudice acts must be made. XD
I feel the message seems too vague, though.
It seems like "I'm Atheist. You should be one, too. ******** you." XD

I think the way this is being done is alittle wrong, but the moral is right along with the idea.

:3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm
Captain_Shinzo
[neon.zombie]

I agree with you here. Atheism should atleast spread out, alittle. Where there is religious prejudism, a balance of such prejudice acts must be made. XD
I feel the message seems too vague, though.
It seems like "I'm Atheist. You should be one, too. ******** you." XD

I think the way this is being done is alittle wrong, but the moral is right along with the idea.

:3

Just out of curiosity, what sort of message would you prefer to see?

We're already having to combat the people who misinterpret the "probably" to mean uncertainty on our part (as opposed to the legal issues surrounding such a statement and an unwillingness to be as dogmatic as religion itself). In some ways, I think that the message could possibly be improved - perhaps the ABC 2.0 could contain another message, clarifying things...  

[neon.zombie]

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:02 pm
I want to see something like this:

* Atheism > Religion: Incorrect
Atheism < Religion: Incorrect
Religion = Atheism: Correct!!!
No one is sure, not even agnostics. Just go with it *

or something around that.
I like this because it doesn't EXACTLY slander anyone. It just tells people to not try to bash others beliefs but to just believe in your own.
Anti-war thing, ya know what I mean? :3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:05 pm
no comment
no vote  

dl1371

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:06 pm
dl1371
no comment
no vote

No point?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:11 pm
Captain_Shinzo

I like this because it doesn't EXACTLY slander anyone. It just tells people to not try to bash others beliefs but to just believe in your own.

But it's illogical.

The only way we can agree is say, you have this and I have that and we can tolerate it. The "=" is incredibly off-putting to me, as it is illogical to assume there's a God without any sort of evidence. Then again, my idea clashes because I think no one can no and it's silly to lie about it. So I don't see the point in believing in crap like that, especially since "God" is a human concept.

Sorry, I just don't like sugar-coating. I'll admit the message for the Atheist Bus Campaign will make some people cry, but everything is controversial if you allow it. It can't be "offensive" though, and it's not saying "******** you". "Probably" doesn't lead to arrogance.  

Falhalterra

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:23 pm
Distorted_Image
Captain_Shinzo

But it's illogical.

The only way we can agree is say, you have this and I have that and we can tolerate it. The "=" is incredibly off-putting to me, as it is illogical to assume there's a God without any sort of evidence. Then again, my idea clashes because I think no one can no and it's silly to lie about it. So I don't see the point in believing in crap like that, especially since "God" is a human concept.

Sorry, I just don't like sugar-coating. I'll admit the message for the Atheist Bus Campaign will make some people cry, but everything is controversial if you allow it. It can't be "offensive" though, and it's not saying "******** you". "Probably" doesn't lead to arrogance.

>W< Illogical? You just said everything in an illogical manner. D:
I stated that because religious wars and prejudism are caused the idea in superior belief, the idea of excepting ones OWN belief and not caring for others is needed.
I'm not saying to be an Atheist, agnostic, or religious believer.
I'm stating that what you believe is cool, so go somewhere instead of preaching to me. >O>

Think, I see signs that say " Trust God " everywhere.
But would it be better making signs saying " ******** God. "?

The point is trying to get things equal and meld everyone together, love others because of difference. Not hate them

=W=

I don't give a s**t about censor-ships. Actually, I hate them.
But the idea isn't to sugar coat it.
No belief superiority is the idea. :

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:49 pm
Yeah, I get it.

Damn...I can't help it. I'm still in the mode of "It's silly to believe" instead of just letting it go. Hard to do when there are many triggers for it. Stupid Youtube. >.<

But I can agree when you put it that way.  

Falhalterra

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:54 pm
Distorted_Image
Yeah, I get it.

Damn...I can't help it. I'm still in the mode of "It's silly to believe" instead of just letting it go. Hard to do when there are many triggers for it. Stupid Youtube. >.<

But I can agree when you put it that way.

Don't get me wrong, though.
Days of the Amazingatheist, Thunderf00t, and natural disbelief has caused me to not want to believe. We can still be Atheist and want to agree like this. =D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:50 am
Captain_Shinzo
Distorted_Image

But it's illogical.

>W< Illogical? You just said everything in an illogical manner. D:
I stated that because religious wars and prejudism are caused the idea in superior belief, the idea of excepting ones OWN belief and not caring for others is needed.
I'm not saying to be an Atheist, agnostic, or religious believer.
I'm stating that what you believe is cool, so go somewhere instead of preaching to me. >O>

Think, I see signs that say " Trust God " everywhere.
But would it be better making signs saying " ******** God. "?

The point is trying to get things equal and meld everyone together, love others because of difference. Not hate them

=W=

I don't give a s**t about censor-ships. Actually, I hate them.
But the idea isn't to sugar coat it.
No belief superiority is the idea. :

To a certain extent, I agree with Distorted_Image. Honestly, there is nothing more frustrating to me than when I am trying to having an intellectual, thoughtful discussion with somebody religious and they say "Look, just let me have my beliefs and I'll let you have yours, what's wrong with letting us believe what we want if we're not starting wars?". I'm sorry, but if reason is always to be sacrificed in favour of everybody feeling warm and fuzzy inside, then I'd rather have conflict with at least some possibility of a positive end. I don't believe that atheism = religion, I'm fairly certain that no religious person really believes that atheism = religion, and so long as moderate religion is allowed to be the foundation for more extremist actions, why not let moderate atheism be the foundation for extremist reason? razz

In other words, I don't think this campaign is genuinely offensive or extreme. It's just because it's a perspective that the public hasn't really encountered before, that we're quick to assume offence. C'mon, the religious nuts could do with a good reality check.  

[neon.zombie]

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:12 am
Woot, there you go. razz My headache yesterday kept me from getting to that point. ninja  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff